Zeppelin Converts

I know this board is a special place for many of us, somewhere we can bond over a shared passion that we wish more people in our "real" lives shared. But sometimes, people close to us just need a little Zep intervention to get their fandom going. My question to you: how have you inspired/influenced people around you with your love of Zeppelin?

(I know there have been threads on this in the past, but I always love hearing people's stories on this topic!)

This was inspired by some recent Skype dates I've had with my three-year old goddaughter. Whenever she comes on the screen, she makes a habit of yelling "reene song, reene song!" Let me explain: we've always shared a love of "Tangerine". Depressing lyrics for a little one, I know, but it used to be the only song that would relax her and put her to sleep (I would play the recording and/or sing to her). Even though I live far away from her now, it's still our song and we always sing it together when we Skype.

Her six-year old brother, on the other hand, loves doing his best Robert imitation on "Immigrant Song" (or "Ah-Ah-Ah", as he called it when he was little). I suspect this has as much to do with the Shrek movies as it does with Aunt lightandshade's influence, but I'll still take some of the credit. Whenever he drove his parents bonkers, he would get sent on a nice long car ride with me, accompanied by some loud, bombastic Zeppelin tunes. Always worked - he was usually fast asleep by the time we got home.

My mother's love for Zeppelin came by a different route. Shortly after I discovered Zep in high school, some friends and I were watching the Earls Court DVD footage in my basement. My mother walks past the screen and suddenly blurts out, "Who the hell is that"? Turns out that my holier-than-thou, Cassidy/Sherman/Osmond-loving mum had some Pagette in her, after all. She watched some more of the DVD with us, and to this day loves a lot of Zep's acoustic songs.

Anyone else care to share some convert stories? Any funny anecdotes with family/friends/strangers/pets?

Great topic and your own account(s) are intersting.

For me I have influenced a couple of friends while growing up and bought them Zep records for Christmas' and birthdays. They are still fans.

My brother and his partner are getting ready to have their first child so I look forward to eventually playing some Zep tunes for him to see if they resonate with him.

Because I grew up in the 70s, everyone I knew my age listened to Zeppelin. As for my parents...my father hated/hates rock music, or at least, thinks he does. I remember when I had "Whole Lotta Love" on the stereo when I was 14 or so, he stomped into my room and said "this isn't music; this is imitation orgasm!" There was really nothing I could say in response to that, so I ignored him (although now that I think about it, I could have said "it's SUPPOSED to sound like that" but IMO it was an inappropriate father/daughter conversation). However, the following year, I brought my guitar downstairs during Christmas and started playing "Stairway to Heaven," and my father walked into the living room and said "What's that? It's interesting. Play it again." I should have said "It's from the band you said you hate," but instead I just ignored him and kept on playing. Obviously we needed family therapy. As for my mother, she has never been a huge music fan of any type, although she likes occasional bluegrass, Judy Collins and at one time owned a Bob Dylan album.

No kids, nieces or nephews...I did find out that there's an album of "lullaby Led Zeppelin..." I am firmly convinced that my blasting Led Zeppelin on the stereo is why my neighbors' new baby is sleeping well!

My daughters, ages 18 and 16 like Led Zeppelin a lot. The older one likes things like Johnny Cash and rap while the younger one loves '80s punk. The only other "classic rock" they like is The Beatles and Pink Floyd. But that's enough that they will never be fooled by crappy pop music. My mother exposed me to Hank Williams and Ray Charles and I am grateful.

My late nephew and his sister. When they first started taking an interest in music, I used to give them mixed cassettes of different bands and they both loved the Zep stuff that was included in the mix. Eventually, that led to me taking both of them. along with my own two son's, to see the 1998 Page /Plant show in Vancouver. When Dave joined the Marine Corp and was stationed in Iraq in 2004, at his request, I used to send him burned copies of Zep boots which he and his mates in the Corp all enjoyed. As matter of fact, while at Dave's funeral this past summer, I had the pleasure of meeting many of his Marine Corp mates and after the service, everyone of them thanked me for sending those boots for their listening pleasure :) .

I grew up in the Soviet Russia, mainly listening to classical music. When in the 1980s I immigrated to North America as a young adolescent, Led Zeppelin was no longer a big part of the music scene. I've heard some of their big hits but didn't feel the true impact of their music when I was younger. Many years later, I went with my teenaged daughter who was a big Jack White fan to see "It might get loud". When I heard "In My Time of Dying" I was completely sublimated by it. After that I started listening to Led Zeppelin and absolutely loving their music. I feel that back in the day when they were still performing, their music was termendously underated. They were and are the "Sravinskys" of rock music, destined to remain a timeless classic. I am still amazed how the music survives and retains its depth and power and the ability to fascinate. I've also turned my husband on to Led Zeppelin although his tastes in music are pretty different. I guess it's better to become a Led Zeppelin fan later in life than never!

Thanks so much for sharing, everyone! What powerful, meaningful stories (especially compared to my silly ones). It's really amazing how this shared experience of Zeppelin can reach all corners of the earth and affect so many people in different life experiences.

fishhead - Congrats to your brother and his partner! Absolutely, you need to start that young one off on the right musical track. :)

Scarlet - That's funny that we both had a Zep-hesitant parent! My mom always says now that "Stairway" is the hardest rock she enjoys. :lol:

chef free - My sister and I are two years apart, like your daughters, and we really bonded over music growing up. I'm also really thankful to our parents for exposing us to a wide variety of music from a young age. Johnny Cash and rap - that's quite a combination!

ally - I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew, but it's lovely that you have those memories with him. And you must feel so proud and honored that you brought joy to so many people!

Vita - Thanks so much for your (first) post! What a great story of how you found Zeppelin! I loved reading your description of the music. I was also brought up on a lot of classical, so I love the LZ/Stravinsky comparison. ^_^

Aww lightandshade! That's so sweet you sing the little ones Zeppelin songs :) I just got a nephew 2 months ago (haven't gotten to meet him yet because he's in the UK) but I can't wait to turn him into a little Zep Head! :D And your mother has excellent taste! :D

This isn't quite a conversion story, but I thought it was funny. My neice told me that when she was at school, she had to say to the class what music she listened to(can't remember why). She told me she said "Led Zeppelin" (which she knows about from me :) )

I was so proud of her! She was 9 at the time!

Aww lightandshade! That's so sweet you sing the little ones Zeppelin songs :) I just got a nephew 2 months ago (haven't gotten to meet him yet because he's in the UK) but I can't wait to turn him into a little Zep Head! :D And your mother has excellent taste! :D

Aww, congrats on your new nephew! Since he's in the UK, you can even take him on some Zeppelin field trips. ^_^

This isn't quite a conversion story, but I thought it was funny. My neice told me that when she was at school, she had to say to the class what music she listened to(can't remember why). She told me she said "Led Zeppelin" (which she knows about from me :) )

I was so proud of her! She was 9 at the time!

That's really cool - I would be proud, too! She's lucky she has her uncle around to introduce her to great music. Maybe she even inspired her classmates to go home and ask their parents about this band called "led something". ;)

I know my son for one is a teenager and he much prefers this music to the crap that is out there now

I know this board is a special place for many of us, somewhere we can bond over a shared passion that we wish more people in our "real" lives shared. But sometimes, people close to us just need a little Zep intervention to get their fandom going. My question to you: how have you inspired/influenced people around you with your love of Zeppelin?

(I know there have been threads on this in the past, but I always love hearing people's stories on this topic!)

This was inspired by some recent Skype dates I've had with my three-year old goddaughter. Whenever she comes on the screen, she makes a habit of yelling "reene song, reene song!" Let me explain: we've always shared a love of "Tangerine". Depressing lyrics for a little one, I know, but it used to be the only song that would relax her and put her to sleep (I would play the recording and/or sing to her). Even though I live far away from her now, it's still our song and we always sing it together when we Skype.

Her six-year old brother, on the other hand, loves doing his best Robert imitation on "Immigrant Song" (or "Ah-Ah-Ah", as he called it when he was little). I suspect this has as much to do with the Shrek movies as it does with Aunt lightandshade's influence, but I'll still take some of the credit. Whenever he drove his parents bonkers, he would get sent on a nice long car ride with me, accompanied by some loud, bombastic Zeppelin tunes. Always worked - he was usually fast asleep by the time we got home.

My mother's love for Zeppelin came by a different route. Shortly after I discovered Zep in high school, some friends and I were watching the Earls Court DVD footage in my basement. My mother walks past the screen and suddenly blurts out, "Who the hell is that"? Turns out that my holier-than-thou, Cassidy/Sherman/Osmond-loving mum had some Pagette in her, after all. She watched some more of the DVD with us, and to this day loves a lot of Zep's acoustic songs.

Anyone else care to share some convert stories? Any funny anecdotes with family/friends/strangers/pets?

That is so funny,my son has a AC/DC back pack for school!

Aww, congrats on your new nephew! Since he's in the UK, you can even take him on some Zeppelin field trips. ^_^

That's really cool - I would be proud, too! She's lucky she has her uncle around to introduce her to great music. Maybe she even inspired her classmates to go home and ask their parents about this band called "led something". ;)

Archived