Help me choose a guitar.

pumpkinpie

Absolutely. Don't go chasing Page's tones. Go to a guitar store (we have an excellent independent one in the next town over) and ask to play some of the guitars. Just about any shop will happily set you up with an amp and whatever guitar you want. If they won't, go someplace else. Go for a guitar that feels right to you....if it doesn't you won't stick with it. And if you're fairly new to playing, it is much much harder than it looks so you will want an instrument that melds with you. Also, and this is kind of "imagey", but go with a guitar that every time you look at it, you want to pick it up and play it, because there will be many times when you are overdue for practicing, and it is easy to walk away instead. Just my two cents.

Great post! And yeah, ultimately Page's tone comes from his fingers (and brain). Really it's playing style more than gear. If you analyse his playing and practice enough you should be able to get his vibe with whichever guitar. Although of course, you'll never sound exactly like him and it's a futile endeavour to try IMO. I think the guitar companies like to perpetuate the myth that it's all in the guitar (and sure obviouly the guitar is a huge part of it) as you get people spending crazy money on signature guitars to sound just like Gilmour, Blackmore etc. At the end of the day it's what guitar you get on well with. I love the tone that Jack White and Jimmy get out of Teles but I hate playing them so I never bought one.

I remember reading an article a while back. Ted Nugent was on the same bill as Van Halen. Like everyone else, he was in love with Eddie's "brown sound". So after the Van Halen road crew had all their equipemnt set up, Ted asked if he could try it out. He wailed away for about 15 minutes. When he was done, he asked one of the techs what it souonded like and the tech said "Ted Nugent".

Don't forget, you need more than just the guitar to get Jimmy's sound. His playing style, amp, effects - it all has to come together in just the right recipe. As others have siad, your best bet is to get a guitar that is VERY comfortable playing.

If you want Jimmy's sound, there are 3 guitars you can buy. First of all, there is the choice of his first major guitar, the Fender Telecaster. I would suggest a MIM telecaster, in case you're low on funds. You could also choose his most famous Guitar, a Les Paul. Choices of Les Paul, you could have a Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro, or a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Gibson Les Paul Traditional. A 1959 Reissue would be awesome for more authenticity, but It can be a bit pricey. Or, if you want, an Epiphone G-1275, which is a twin necked Guitar like the One he used for Stairway to Heaven Live performances.

Or, what I would suggest is develop your own sound and your Own Playing Style.

I remember reading an article a while back. Ted Nugent was on the same bill as Van Halen. Like everyone else, he was in love with Eddie's "brown sound". So after the Van Halen road crew had all their equipemnt set up, Ted asked if he could try it out. He wailed away for about 15 minutes. When he was done, he asked one of the techs what it souonded like and the tech said "Ted Nugent".

This is great story - thanks!

• 1 month later...

Well, am still planning on spending some of my christmas bonus in december on a nice new guitar.

Looking at my budget, here's 2 very different options to choose from.

Do I go for the (for me) playing comfort of a tele, or the big, fat sound of a Les Paul (Epiphone)?

Here's the tele I'm thinking about (sorry, the website of the musicstore is in dutch...)

http://www.keymusic.com/nl/item/fender-blacktop-telecaster-black-rosewood/?q=Telecaster

Or the Epiphone black beauty...?

http://www.keymusic.com/nl/item/epiphone-les-paul-black-beauty-3/?q=Les%20Paul

Oh well, when the time comes, I'll give them both a try in the store and see which one I like best......

Maaike

Archived