Was Jimmy's Number One ever nicked?

magerogue

In the recent Hoskyns book, (Trampled Under Foot), Benji Lefevre claims that a guitar was stolen when Jimmy's Guitar Tech, Ray Thomas neglected to put it in the room where everything was supposed to be secured.

He says a truck driver shows up 3hrs before the show claiming he picked up a hitchhiker who showed him the guitar and was bragging about whom it belonged and from whom he had stolen it.

The trucker claimed he punched the guy and took the guitar from him so that he could return it.

When the trucker returns it, Richard Cole reportedly punched the trucker!

It isn't told in the book what year or what guitar was stolen and returned.

Has anyone else heard this story before and know any details?

Edited for clarity.

In another of my misinterpretations, I totally misread the title of this post and was wondering...but perhaps I'll keep my misinterpretation to myself :0

"Nicked" for stolen isn't a colloquialism I come across that often...usually it means a little bit cut off, no?

I think it might have gone missing in the dark (for Page) days of late 1980 and 1981, but it's certainly still in his possession today. I haven't heard that it was ever intentionally misappropriated by anyone.

post-12775-0-74865000-1365371483_thumb.j

The only thing I recall is an audio clip on the radio when he was doing press for Outrider in 1988. He said he sent someone to go get it prior to entering the studio to record the album and it was gone. I don't think his recollection fits into the timeline though.

I think it might have gone missing in the dark (for Page) days of late 1980 and 1981, but it's certainly still in his possession today. I haven't heard that it was ever intentionally misappropriated by anyone.

attachicon.gifLZFAQ.jpg

That's correct, George. When Jimmy asked for it to be retrieved it wasn't in it's case, but it wasn't stolen merely misplaced and was found soonafter.

In the recent Hoskyns book, (Trampled Under Foot), Benji Lefevre claims that a guitar was stolen when Jimmy's Guitar Tech, Ray Thomas neglected to put it in the room where everything was supposed to be secured.

He says a truck driver shows up 3hrs before the show claiming he picked up a hitchhiker who showed him the guitar and was bragging about whom it belonged and from whom he had stolen it.

The trucker claimed he punched the guy and took the guitar from him so that he could return it.

When the trucker returns it, Richard Cole reportedly punched the trucker!

It isn't told in the book what year or what guitar was stolen and returned.

Has anyone else heard this story before and know any details?

Edited for clarity.

Anything involving Ray Thomas would preceed the Over Europe '80 tour for which Tim Marten was taken on. For what it's worth I don't believe a word of the hitchhiker story.

Archived