Precision

I was just watching (yet again) the 2003 DVD, in particular the Earls Court portion. Jimmy's playing during IMTOD was beyond words. As a guitar player myself, playing slide at that speed, all over the neck with such amazing precision is simply otherworldly. Much is said on this forum regarding Jimmy's technique and precision but this song without a doubt will put all naysayers to rest. The difficulty this song represents, BTW he utilizes hybrid picking and standard picking within a single measure while his left hand is in four completely opposite sections of the neck. Paganini would be in awe!

75' IMO, is without doubt the peak of Page's playing and ability. It would not be until 98' that he would come close to this level again!

Opinions please :suntan:

I'd have to disagree with you there, even though I do favour live shows from '75 onwards. The European tour of 1973 is where Page was at the peak of his powers. He didn't have a broken finger to contend with and he wasn't dealing with painkillers + a bottle of jack in him like he was for much of the '75 US tour. I do agree that by the Earls Court shows he was playing pretty well, still not up to the standards of '73 though.

I too, always enjoy watching IMTOD from that DVD and enjoy Page's playing on it everytime.

But I have to admit that I marvel more at JPJ's right and left hand on his fretless during the solos.

I'd have to disagree with you there, even though I do favour live shows from '75 onwards. The European tour of 1973 is where Page was at the peak of his powers. He didn't have a broken finger to contend with and he wasn't dealing with painkillers + a bottle of jack in him like he was for much of the '75 US tour. I do agree that by the Earls Court shows he was playing pretty well, still not up to the standards of '73 though.

What is the single best live performance by Page in your opinion?

What is the single best live performance by Page in your opinion?

Probably either Vienna or Essen 1973. Its so hard to pick just one though, I could pick more than one performance from each year they played live which is my favourite in terms of Jimmys playing. Oh and I should note that Vienna or Essen aren't even my favourite shows/period haha. Can't deny the fact that Jimmy and Bonzo were playing out of their skins on the '73 European jaunt though.

He played some of his best solos phrasing wise at MSG in july 1973, which are on TSRTS CD! He didn't loose much tecnique from Europe 1973 and I remember reading somewhere that he perfomed best under pressure, so perhaps the whole thing being filmed drived him!

But still even if No quarter and Stairway from those dates are among his very, very best, he still always found so many new ways to express himself, that it's hard to find a winner!

Archived