RIP Margaret Thatcher

Zepphile

Margaret Thatcher dead: Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead tops download charts after campaign by late PM's critics

The Judy Garland version of the Wizard of Oz song has raced to number 1 on the Amazon charts and number 2 with iTunes users

Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead has soared to the top of the download charts after an online campaign by Margaret Thatcher's critics.

The Judy Garland version of the Wizard of Oz song tonight raced to number 1 on the Amazon charts and number 2 on the iTunes charts.

While many mourned the former Prime Minister who died aged 87 yesterday, many others saw her death as a cause for celebration.

The latest figures from the Official Charts Company - which compiles sales from all online and high street retailers - were released yesterday.

Those showed Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead had reached number 54 within 12 hours of the death of Baroness Thatcher being announced.

Given its continuing success with users of Amazon and iTunes, two of the biggest online music stores, the song is expected to have climbed much higher when sales figures are updated.

The Official Charts Company midweek sales chart will be released tomorrow and then on Sunday evening the traditional top 40 chart will be revealed.

In the 1939 musical Dorothy, played by Garland, sings the song with the Munchkins and Glinda the Good Witch after the death of the Wicked Witch of the East.

There had been some speculation that the track might be too short to qualify at just 51 seconds, but chart bosses say it is eligible.

In 2007 the track The Ladies Bras by Wisbey made the chart despite lasting just 36 seconds.

But Garland's version is not the only one to be selling: A version by Ella Fitzgerald is at 146 and one by the Munchkins is at 183.

A spokesman for the Official Singles Chart told the Mirror today: "If the sales of all three were combined, the song would be in 40th place today, with almost 2,500 sales."

The Facebook group campaigning for Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead to hit the top of the charts now has over 4,000 members

There had not been a post for three months until the news broke this morning that the former Prime Minister had died.

The divisive former PM's death has also led to a burst of sales for Elvis Costello's track about Baroness Thatcher - Tramp The Dirt Down.

The song, from his 1989 album Spike, was at number 85 in the iTunes chart this afternoon.

Respect MP George Galloway referred to the track in a message on Twitter in the wake of her death.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/margaret-thatcher-dead-ding-dong-1821155

GOD BLESS MAGGIE THATCHER!!

An Irish toast to her soul.

(Gerry Adams can kiss my rosy,red,Irish-Catholic,arse!)

THE IRON LADY RESTS IN PEACE.

Bold and decisive.That she was.She was the right leader at the right time.

To the haters:

History ALWAYS trumps leftist ideology.

Like Brother MALCOLM X said: "It's time to crush the radical left, by any means necessary". Ha! (He did say that...right?) :peace:

:peace: Does anybody remember laughter?!?! :peace:

• twitter.png
  • digg.png
  • delicious.png
  • reddit.png
  • stumble.png
  • email.png
  • print.png
  • download.png

I can't imagine having enough dislike for an elected official of my own country that I would celebrate / rejoice in their death.

I hardly even feel that strongly about dictators like Chavez.

I didn't have this much glee over the death of types like Bin Laden.

Conservatives don't even compare when it comes to the bitter vitriol the left can dispense.

Twitter confirms this.

Give me a break...that statement in itself demonstrates the typical stance of people who look at the actions of a few and cast them as a constant for an entire group.

Guess you didn't happen to read any of the Twitter feeds when Rick Warren's son committed suicide last week.

Even in this thread about Thatcher.

She was compared to Hitler.

Really?

I stand by my observation.

Also, I was speaking in generalities, not absolutes.

You're assigning absolute values to my general observation.

Your generalization was spoken like an absolute - bottom line is there are assholes in every group. Even here (and not you my friend - he knows who I'm talking about ;) ). I agree about the Hitler b.s., it is far too often used! I'm enjoying you city on espn right now TypeO! :yesnod:

:peace:

Btw, TypeO, I fully believe Twitter is an emotionally disturbed person's dream. Too many spout off too many statements without any care for what they are saying or whom they are hurting. Big pussies is what they really are! Agree?

Btw, TypeO, I fully believe Twitter is an emotionally disturbed person's dream. Too many spout off too many statements without any care for what they are saying or whom they are hurting. Big pussies is what they really are! Agree?

Well, like it or not, Twitter is a pretty accurate pulse at any given time regarding any given event.

But yes, people Tweet first, ask questions later, it seems. LOL

Archived