The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

On 1/19/2016 at 1:00 PM, Disco Duck said:

Damn, Glenn Frey just died.  Another rock star death I didn't see coming.  First Lemmy, then Bowie and now Frey.  What the heck is going on?

Do you normally see them coming?

What's going on is most well-known musicians of the '60s & early '70s are in their sixties (or older). Besides, all passings are inevitable. 

On January 19, 2016 at 0:23 AM, Nutrocker said:

Actually, that was last year. 

As for Glenn Frey, I admit the only Eagles albums I had any time for were Hotel California and The Long Run (I know, I know)...the rest of their stuff was too derivative of Gram Parsons and the Burritos (among others) IMO. I admit I would have more sympathy for Frey if him and Henley weren't such assholes. Don Felder and Randy Meisner -to name but two- probably can't wait to take a leak on Glenn Frey's grave, and you can't really blame them.

But still, fucking hell- how many more people are we gonna lose this year? I got a feeling 2016 is gonna be a bad one...

Don Felder is a very classy guy, even with all the legal troubles he managed to issue a heartfelt memorial to Glenn and that takes both class and dignity. I doubt Randy himself will comment since he is suffering from dementia and other serious health issues.

Even though Glenn was a world class asshole, he was still a very talented musician who gifted the world with both an amazing band and amazing music. RIP Glenn, may you find peace.

Ps. The Eagles tune Journey of the Sorcerer seems both fitting and relevant right now. All these great talents leaving us and dying relatively young by current standards. I am sure the years of chemical indulgence contributed to these deaths as most things do come with a price. Then again, as Jimmy said, "better one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb." Very true, it's not the years which count, it's the mileage...always the mileage.

I always liked 'Those Shoes' and 'King Of Hollywood' by the Eagles.

King of Hollywood

Well he sits up there on his leatherette
Looks through pictures of the ones
That he hasn't had yet
When he thinks he wants a closer look
He gets out his little black telephone book
Come sit down here beside me honey
Let's have a little heart to heart
Now look at me and tell me darlin'
How badly do you want this part?
Are you willing to sacrifice
And are you willing to be real nice
All your talent and my good taste
I'd hate to see it go to waste
We gon' get you an apartment, honey
We gon' get you a car
Yeah, we gon' take care of you, darlin'
We gon' make you a movie star

On 1/20/2016 at 6:29 AM, SteveAJones said:

Do you normally see them coming?

What's going on is most well-known musicians of the '60s & early '70s are in their sixties (or older). Besides, all passings are inevitable. 

As a matter of fact, I do.  Not that I claim special powers or anything.  Many celebrities divulge their health problems to the public so their deaths, while sad, aren't a surprise.   Also, I'm sure you're aware that the average life expectancy in the U.S. is 78.74 years.  Nowadays, to die before the age of 70 in the U.S. is to die early; particularly if you can afford the best health care.  

Edited by Disco Duck

5 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Glenn Frey sang lead on two of my favorite songs, New Kid in Town and Lying Eyes.  RIP.

Don't feed the troll, Disco.

He has zero  sensitivity unless he's a big fan (Bowie)....

I love both of those songs. The Eagles are inmy top ten favourite bands.

27 minutes ago, Strider said:

Tessio sleeps with the fishes.

THIS IS NOT A HOAX!

This time, Abe Vigoda really is dead. Passed away at age 94. Goodbye Sal Tessio and Sgt. Fish! ?

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/abe-vigoda-dead-dies-barney-miller-godfather-1201689081/

Tom, can you get me off the hook? For old times sake?

Can't do it Sally.... 

Rest in peace Abe 

10 hours ago, the chase said:

Tom, can you get me off the hook? For old times sake?

Can't do it Sally.... 

Rest in peace Abe 

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Tell Michael it was only business...I always liked him.

I always liked Tessio more than Clemenza...which reminds me, is the guy who played Clemenza still alive?

38 minutes ago, Nutrocker said:

I always liked Tessio more than Clemenza...which reminds me, is the guy who played Clemenza still alive?

As you might imagine for a guy who loved his cannoli and sausages, Richard Castellano (Clemenza) died fairly young at age 55 on December 10, 1988.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, reswati said:

Jimmy Bain (bass player for Rainbow and later Dio) just passed away.

Thank you for the music, rest in peace.

I am a little late on hearing this.  That sucks because Ronnie James Dio is my second favorite singer of all-time.  Jimmy Bain, Vivian Campbell and all the other great musicians that played with RJD are all remarkable in their own right/way. 

RIP... Jimmy Bain. 

13 hours ago, zepscoda said:

2016-01-26-16-51-16-1.png

=

Abe Vigoda @abevigoda HYPERLINK "/abevigoda/status/1423921840660480"7 Nov 2010 I am alive!

Abe Vigoda @abevigoda HYPERLINK "/abevigoda/status/1514515522920448"7 Nov 2010 This New Yorker is alive!!

Abe Vigoda@abevigoda 8 Nov 2010 BT should write a song about me being alive!

Abe Vigoda @abevigoda HYPERLINK "/abevigoda/status/692070316974215168"17h17 hours ago I was alive and now I'm not :(

I am so sorry to hear about Abe Vigoda. :( I was hoping this guy would outlive everyone. Much respect. Rest in peace.

Just now, ScarletMacaw said:

Paul Kantner. Founder of one of the most underrated bands of all time, the Jefferson Airplane:

http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Jefferson-Airplane-s-Paul-Kantner-dies-at-74-6791483.php

RIP.  The above link won't work for me but didn't Paul Kantner have a daughter with Grace Slick?