The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

The Lollipop Kid is gone.

Jerry Maren, the last of the "Wizard of Oz" Munchkins, died at 98. He was the one who presented Judy Garland with the lollipop during the Munchkin scene.

I got to meet him and a few of the other surviving Munchkins at the 75th anniversary screening of "The Wizard of Oz". A highlight of my life as the annual showing of "The Wizard of Oz" on TV every Thanksgiving was a cherished moment of my childhood.

Rest in peace, Jerry Maren. I hope you are all up there together in Munchkin Land.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44386487

Edited by Strider

3 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Anthony Bourdain commits suicide.   Yikes !.....that one hurts.  :wacko:

RIP

Not the news one wants to wake up to on a Friday. Fucking hell. 😢

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

Agreed Strider and couldn't believe it when I heard this in the a.m.  I loved both No Reservations and Parts Unknown.  I've probably seen every episode of both as I love the culinary and cultural aspects of the various places he visited. I subscribe to his shows on Netflix.  Such a loss and will be missed so much.  Just wondering why he had to chose this way out?  This is getting a lot of coverage today being a big personality for CNN and the food world and his influence in food circles.

Edited by SuperDave

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

Agreed Strider and couldn't believe it when I heard this in the a.m.  I loved both No Reservations and Parts Unknown.  I've probably seen every episode of both as I love the culinary and cultural aspects of the various places he visited. I subscribe to his shows on Netflix.  Such a loss and will be missed so much.  Just wondering why he had to chose this way out?  This is getting a lot of coverage today being a big personality for CNN and the food world and his influence in food circles.

I don't think it was a matter of he "had" to choose suicide. For those suffering from depression, sometimes the pain runs so deep they don't see any other way to get peace then to end their life. It's a horrific place to be in for those who have it and those around them. I don't know what it will take or how many more lives have to be lost before more research is put into finding a way to treat it. 

5 hours ago, Strider said:

e_tabo.jpg.5546cd0bb024add892bb8aee668c289e.jpg

I loved this episode and I didn't realize how much Obama enjoys his food!  I know he loves his wine, smokes and another thing which I give the ok for.  I don't think Barrack was a good president as too inexperienced for the position, but I've always thought of him being a good family man and pretty good guy with an open mind for culture and good cuisine, which I will always be a supporter of! I'm such a big foodie as many of you may have that idea!

FYI Strider. I just made this photo my Wallpaper.  A bit blurry around the edges but generally good.  Center photo is just too small.  May look for same photo with larger resolution size.

Edited by SuperDave

4 hours ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

I don't think it was a matter of he "had" to choose suicide. For those suffering from depression, sometimes the pain runs so deep they don't see any other way to get peace then to end their life. It's a horrific place to be in for those who have it and those around them. I don't know what it will take or how many more lives have to be lost before more research is put into finding a way to treat it. 

He touched a lot of people. Suicide is an escape, but it's permanent. I see he was in recovery at one point.

I agree completely that more research need be given on a way to treat depression. Drugs or alcohol don't work. I hope Anthony Bourdain's death is rewarded in positivity by attention drawn to the affliction he suffered, and our wishes for finding treatment.

I believe that half of that treatment begins with us, and how we interact. :mellow: