The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

Great rebuttal posted a few minutes ago to a cruel Bill Maher blog post about Stan Lee. 

You know Bill. You're wrong. Stan Lee created heroes that appeal to what is BEST about humanity: honor, love, fortitude, tolerance, and care. His heroes protected the innocent and fought the evils of bigotry and intolerance. I would have thought that someone like yourself would have recognized that. --But alas no. You are more consumed with prostituting yourself by trying to sell your outlandish opinions to gain attention. Well, guess what? It worked. But it worked so much that you were able to alienate those like myself who would have otherwise defended your past opinions. And those of us who did, or do, we likely wont anymore. Instead we will chalk you up to being a liberal-fringe talking head who is more apt to be despised than adored.

The reason why superheroes are SO popular today is because of the fact that there are so many horrors, injustice, lies, and evils that the populace is starved for what is TRUE and GOOD. Superheroes have been a fantastic fantasy escape for both children and adults who want to see some good in the world ---even if its just on paper or film.

If you had done your research on Stan, you would have discovered that the man preached tolerance in his stories and even in his editorial commentary within his comics. So with that, I leave you to your conscience and ask that you read this Washington Post article about Stan Lee. After that maybe an apology is due. -- Bobby Callicutt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/11/12/stan-lee-used-his-platform-call-out-racism-s-he-never-stopped/?fbclid=IwAR0DAv82SGZzxTaCfRT_kqOhJPnEdkK37P_T3pQ85FWLYq8mCeP7WPW4cCQ&noredirect=on&utm_term=.41f99d124bea

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 5:55 PM, Strider said:

Rest in peace (pieces) journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Tortured, murdered, dismembered by Saudi Arabian government thugs in Turkey.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2018/10/19/saudi-government-acknowledges-journalist-jamal-khashaoggi-died-while-in-that-countrys-consulate-in-istanbul/

Yep, RIP to that 'journalist'.

khashoggi-rocket-launcher.jpg

https://thearabweekly.com/looming-tower-jamal-khashoggis-little-known-past-comes-light

On 11/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, luvlz2 said:

Strange, I thought Roy Clark passed away many years ago. Definitely dug his guitar playing.

Maybe you were thinking of Roy Rogers? 

R.I.P. to Nicolas Roeg ("Performance", "The Man Who Fell to Earth") and Bernardo Bertolucci ("The Conformist", "1900"). Gone on the same weekend.

26 minutes ago, ForEvermore said:

R.I.P., George H.W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States.

Hearing this just reminded me how much the world has changed since he was in office...kind of breathtaking, really.

All politics aside, what an extraordinary, long life he led. The last World War II veteran to have served as POTUS.

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

All politics aside, what an extraordinary, long life he led. The last World War II veteran to have served as POTUS.

There will be a grand funeral. He survived being shot down for a reason.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, Walter said:

RIP to President George HW Bush. 

Came across this today and it goes to show what a quality man he was. 

91F53FDE-35F2-4050-84D9-6D399A5D4430.jpeg

I wonder what kind of letter Trump will leave for his successor?

GHWB was a very interesting man, a Man of All Seasons so to speak as he did so much, yet never sought the spotlight. I always felt sorry for him in 92' even though I voted Clinton as I believe Bush got the shaft due to Reagan's policies coming around to bite Bush in the ass.

A good man who lived a good life and the last of the true Republicans. RIP Mr. President

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I wonder what kind of letter Trump will leave for his successor?

GHWB was a very interesting man, a Man of All Seasons so to speak as he did so much, yet never sought the spotlight. I always felt sorry for him in 92' even though I voted Clinton as I believe Bush got the shaft due to Reagan's policies coming around to bite Bush in the ass.

A good man who lived a good life and the last of the true Republicans. RIP Mr. President

I tend to agree with you and your points made here. 

IF our current is able and willing to write one, it’ll be a self-absorbed illiterate piece of garbage, I’m sure. Very reflective.

Edited by Walter

6 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Academy Award nominee Sondra Locke died over a month ago on Nov. 3 at age 74, Variety reports, citing the Los Angeles County Public Health Department as confirming her death.  She worked with and was partners with Clint Eastwood for many years! 

Hadn't even heard. Loved her in Bronco Billy.

sondra-locke-bronco-billy-1980-BP7EBX.jp

Let the Christmas deaths begin. It's already been a festive month...and now Penny Marshall. She was 75...same age as Keith Richards. Wrap your head around that.

I have a friend who absolutely adored "Laverne & Shirley". She is going to be distraught and devastated today.

R.I.P. Penny Marshall.

And, while I am at it...

R.I.P. Pete Shelley.

R.I.P. Ken Berry.

R.I.P. Sondra Locke.