The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

On 2/8/2020 at 8:03 PM, reids said:

R.I.P. Robert Conrad

R😎

220CFF0B-0747-407F-8F68-CBE1D31DC0DD.jpeg

My father grew up and was good friends with Conrad (his actual first name) in Chicago and both worked on the docks at Consolidated Freightways. They both flew out to California in 1957, Conrad to pursue acting, and my father on a business trip for the trucking company.

As history has shown Conrad did quite well for himself and for decades after would rib my father as my dad stayed in trucking. Conrad even wanted to get my dad into the movies with bit parts a few times but my dad would not leave Chicago. They stayed in touch up until my fathers death in 2004.

Conrad & my dad were two crazy Pollacks growing up on the southside of Chicago. The stories those two would tell about growing up. I only met Conrad a few times but he was a very nice guy. Last time I saw him was around 1995.

RIP legendary producer, mixer and DJ Andrew Weatherall. I remember hearing Primal Scream's "Screamadelica" in the early 90's. What a cracking listen it is too. Maybe not well known to rock music fans but for old ravers and techno/Dance heads he was right up there. Will be noisy up there with a back to back DJ fest with Frankie Knuckles. 

• Administrators

Pete Fulwell

Tributes have been paid following the death of Pete Fulwell, who was a major figure in the Merseyside music scene over several decades.

He said: “In the early 1970s, he set up the Modula design company in Liverpool, which supplied all of Top Rank’s posters for the entire country.

"He pitched to Peter Grant, manager of Led Zeppelin, for the poster for the band’s Wembley Empire Pool shows (on November 20 and 21, 1971).

"The famous ‘Electric Magic’ poster was designed by Modula’s Steve Hardstaff (also a lecturer at Liverpool College of Art) and Pete got Peter to agree to Modula selling the posters after the show.

“Pete advertised the poster in all the music papers in the week running up to the shows and the following week cheques and postal orders started to arrive.

"On Monday the postman brought a bag. On Tuesday a small van. On Wednesday a truck. By this time Pete had recruited people to open the envelopes and write out the paying-in slips in temporary office space.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/tributes-paid-giant-merseyside-music-17806241

Another fixture of the local music scene has passed at too young an age. A few months ago we lost Kim Shattuck of the Muffs at age 55. Today came the news of David Roback's death at age 61. No cause of death confirmed as of yet.

David and his brother Steven Roback were part of the 1980s Paisley Underground scene in L.A. with their band Rain Parade. David left Rain Parade to form Opal with Kendra Smith, who had recently departed the Dream Syndicate. Then Kendra left to go solo and David asked Hope Sandoval to join him and Opal became Mazzy Star. After a few albums in the late-'80s - early-'90s, Mazzy Star went on hiatus until they reformed and recorded a new album four or five years ago.

Dreamy, hazy, smoky, hallucinatory, melancholy...his music was perfect for dark nights of the soul.

https://pitchfork.com/news/mazzy-stars-david-roback-dead-at-61/?fbclid=IwAR3ImeYCxjMmcttIcU12GmlC3Vd3okkuu1HQj3aJz9O5LbFINcOb4cE5z-4

Edited by Strider

23 hours ago, Strider said:

Another fixture of the local music scene has passed at too young an age. A few months ago we lost Kim Shattuck of the Muffs at age 55. Today came the news of David Roback's death at age 61. No cause of death confirmed as of yet.

David and his brother Steven Roback were part of the 1980s Paisley Underground scene in L.A. with their band Rain Parade. David left Rain Parade to form Opal with Kendra Smith, who had recently departed the Dream Syndicate. Then Kendra left to go solo and David asked Hope Sandoval to join him and Opal became Mazzy Star. After a few albums in the late-'80s - early-'90s, Mazzy Star went on hiatus until they reformed and recorded a new album four or five years ago.

Dreamy, hazy, smoky, hallucinatory, melancholy...his music was perfect for dark nights of the soul.

https://pitchfork.com/news/mazzy-stars-david-roback-dead-at-61/?fbclid=IwAR3ImeYCxjMmcttIcU12GmlC3Vd3okkuu1HQj3aJz9O5LbFINcOb4cE5z-4

Mazzy Star & Portishead, my early - mid 90's soundtrack. Fantastic, weird times.