The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

Former Jethro Tull bass player Glenn Cornick dies
Aug. 29, 2014, 6:38 PM EST
By CATHY BUSSEWITZ, Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) -- Glenn Cornick, the original bass player in the rock band Jethro Tull, died of congestive heart failure at his home in Hilo, Hawaii, on Thursday.

Drew Cornick says his 67-year-old father had been receiving hospice care.

Cornick performed with Jethro Tull from its inception in late 1967 until 1970.

The band's vocalist and floutist, Ian Anderson, says on the band's website that Cornick brought bravado to Jethro Tull's early stage performances. Anderson says Cornick made considerable contributions to the music scene.

Drew Cornick says his father was brilliant and cantankerous until the day he passed away.

In addition to his son Drew, Cornick is survived by his wife, Brigitte Martinez-Cornick of Hilo; a daughter, Molly Cornick; and another son, Alex Cornick.

RIP Joan...upon hearing the news of her death I FORCED myself to laugh with friends and co workers. I grew up listening to her with my Dad and watching how hard he would laugh at her jokes. Simpler times. I passed the appreciation of an acerbic sense of humor onto my daughter and hopefully have raised a woman with thick skin. She's gonna need it. (Those who know me on this forum know I tell it like it is...no apologies)

When I got home this evening, I found my daughter on the couch with a frown on her face watching E!'s tribute to Joan. She then recited a quote from Joan's twitter page in June...Mom, she said, Joan tweeted that she's had so much plastic surgery, she's afraid that when she dies god won't recognize her..lmao.

Sleep well, Ms Rivers. You've lived a good life and given laughter an joy to countless.

Former Jethro Tull bass player Glenn Cornick dies
Aug. 29, 2014, 6:38 PM EST
By CATHY BUSSEWITZ, Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) -- Glenn Cornick, the original bass player in the rock band Jethro Tull, died of congestive heart failure at his home in Hilo, Hawaii, on Thursday.

Drew Cornick says his 67-year-old father had been receiving hospice care.

Cornick performed with Jethro Tull from its inception in late 1967 until 1970.

The band's vocalist and floutist, Ian Anderson, says on the band's website that Cornick brought bravado to Jethro Tull's early stage performances. Anderson says Cornick made considerable contributions to the music scene.

Drew Cornick says his father was brilliant and cantankerous until the day he passed away.

In addition to his son Drew, Cornick is survived by his wife, Brigitte Martinez-Cornick of Hilo; a daughter, Molly Cornick; and another son, Alex Cornick.

I saw Tull twice in the 70's and both were great concerts. Sad news. Also who could ever forget Jaws from those Bond movies. Every week someone famous passes away recently. Robin Williams and Joan Rivers being the most notable.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.paulrevereandtheraiders.com/

Paul Revere, organist and ringleader of the long-running rock band the Raiders, passed away October 4th at his home in Idaho, the band's official website revealed. Revere was 76. No cause of death was revealed, but TMZ reports that Revere (born Paul Revere Dick) battled with cancer over the past year. Thanks to his colorful clothing and infectious stage persona, Revere earned a reputation as "the madman of rock & roll." He and his Raiders scored a handful of hits throughout their five decades together, including their anti-drug smash "Kicks."

Edited by Wally Hood

jaws.jpg

http://youtu.be/eX-YjciFn4E

RIP Richard Kiel - The 7'2 Big guy with the biggest heart.

I really liked this guy. Loved the characters he played. Off screen he was as down to earth, humble and as approachable as anyone could want.

Died in September as Anjin-san said, but cause of death just released. Possible Heart attack and also had been suffering with coronary artery disease.

Edited by apantherfrommd

jaws.jpg

http://youtu.be/eX-YjciFn4E

RIP Richard Kiel - The 7'2 Big guy with the biggest heart.

I really liked this guy. Loved the characters he played. Off screen he was as down to earth, humble and as approachable as anyone could want.

Died in September as Anjin-san said, but cause of death just released. Possible Heart attack and also had been suffering with coronary artery disease.

Yeah he was a great one thats for sure.

We buried my aunt yesterday. She was my late father's sister, was eighty five years old and had suffered from Alzheimer's for 7 years, I've been pretty busy during the past several days with family coming from out of town for the funeral. However, they all returned to their respective homes today so now I have the time and space to process the loss. My aunt led a long full life and I know she's in a better place now. But I still miss her.

We buried my aunt yesterday. She was my late father's sister, was eighty five years old and had suffered from Alzheimer's for 7 years, I've been pretty busy during the past several days with family coming from out of town for the funeral. However, they all returned to their respective homes today so now I have the time and space to process the loss. My aunt led a long full life and I know she's in a better place now. But I still miss her.

A very touching post, DD. I love my aunts very much, so I can totally relate to your feelings. You do her memory proud by showing your love and appreciation for her...and I am sure you will be a beloved aunt to your nieces and/or nephews...if you aren't already.

• 2 weeks later...

from Blabbermouth.. Rest in Peace Jack Bruce

Legendary CREAM bassist/singer Jack Bruce died today of liver disease. He was 71 years old.

His family said in a statement: "It is with great sadness that we, Jack's family, announce the passing of our beloved Jack: husband, father, granddad, and all round legend. The world of music will be a poorer place without him but he lives on in his music and forever in our hearts."

Bruce's death was confirmed by his publicist Claire Singersicon1.png.

She said: "He died today at his home in Suffolk surrounded by his family."

CREAM was formed in 1966, and consisted of Bruce, drummer Ginger Baker, and guitarist/singer Eric Clapton. Their sound was characterized by a hybrid of blues rock, hard rock and burgeoning psychedelic rock, combining imaginative lyrics, often written by poet Pete Brown, Eric Clapton's innovative blues guitar playing, Jack Bruce's operatic voice and fluid bass playing, and Ginger Baker's jazz-influenced drumming.

The group soon evolved further creating a trademark approach built around each musician's virtuoso playing. Their live performances soon became renowned for lengthy improvisational pieces based on traditional blues structures such as "Crossroads" and "Spoonful", modern blues such as "Born Under A Bad Sign", and their own songs such as "White Roomicon1.png" and Ginger Baker's powerhouse showcase "Toad".

Following their first pop hit single "I Feel Freeicon1.png" in January 1967, CREAM's debut, "Fresh Cream", set the tone for group's inventive mix of blues standards and more eccentric original material and reached No. 6 in the UK album charts. It offered a unique blend of blues — Robert Johnson's "Four Until Late" and Skip James' "I'm So Glad" — inventive originals such as "Dreaming" and the showcase, near-instrumental "Cat's Squirrel".

Before the end of the year, CREAM released the follow-up "Disraeli Gears", its distinctive Day-Glo psychedelic cover designed by underground illustrator Martin Sharp. Recorded in May in New York during their first American tour, it includes landmark songs such as "Strange Brew", the melodic but heavy-riffing "Sunshine Of Your Love" and more surrealistic, wah-wah drenched "Tales Of Brave Ulysses"; in all a brilliant, textured, multi-dubbed sound that went beyond blues.

Non-stop touring soon saw CREAM break through in America where "Wheels Of Fire", released in August 1968, topped the U.S. charts for a month and was the world's first platinum-selling double album. It comprised one album "in the studio" — including the Jack Bruce- and Pete Brown-penned classics "White Room" and "Politician" — while the other side was recorded at the Fillmore West in San Francisco, highlighted by expansive readings of "Crossroads" and "Spoonful".

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/legendary-cream-bassist-jack-bruce-dead-at-71/#w25V4HIiccXlvUtQ.99