The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

R.I.P. Giorgio Gomelsky. Important figure in British rock history...Crawdaddy Club, producer/manager of the Rolling Stones and The Yardbirds...and the man who gave Eric Clapton his nickname.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/15/arts/music/giorgio-gomelsky-rock-producer-who-gave-the-rolling-stones-their-start-dies-at-81.html?_r=0&referer=http://www.google.com/

Edited by Strider

4 hours ago, Strider said:

R.I.P. Giorgio Gomelsky. Important figure in British rock history...Crawdaddy Club, producer/manager of the Rolling Stones and The Yardbirds...and the man who gave Eric Clapton his nickname.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/15/arts/music/giorgio-gomelsky-rock-producer-who-gave-the-rolling-stones-their-start-dies-at-81.html?_r=0&referer=http://www.google.com/

Thanks for the post. After all of these years I never knew who gave Eric Clapton his nickname.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

Goddammit. Too many great ones dying. Oh, that mellifluous voice of Alan Rickman. It was too soon to be silenced. :(

The David Bowie tributes really got to me; I admit I got a bit choked up.  I'm still in denial about Alan Rickman; it's too much in one week. Sigh.

I just heard about this....oh my!  So sad to hear.

RIP Glenn Frey :( 

One of my favorite musicians ever.  Saw him a number of times solo and with the Eagles.  My opinion of him changed as he and I became older, but still he was such an influence and had some epic highs - both musically and otherwise.  

What a start to 2016..... ??????

6 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

R.I.P. Dallas Taylor. C,S,N & Y's drummer passed away last Sunday aged 66.

Actually, that was last year. 

As for Glenn Frey, I admit the only Eagles albums I had any time for were Hotel California and The Long Run (I know, I know)...the rest of their stuff was too derivative of Gram Parsons and the Burritos (among others) IMO. I admit I would have more sympathy for Frey if him and Henley weren't such assholes. Don Felder and Randy Meisner -to name but two- probably can't wait to take a leak on Glenn Frey's grave, and you can't really blame them.

But still, fucking hell- how many more people are we gonna lose this year? I got a feeling 2016 is gonna be a bad one...

^ I would hope and assume Felder and Meisner aren't vindictive. I hope they would look at the good times and not focus on the negatives. Maybe they were able to reconnect and reconcile. 

Anyhow another terrible loss. 

Rest in peace Glenn Frey

Edited by the chase

11 hours ago, slave to zep said:

R.I.P.  Glenn Frey.

I'm another huge Eagles fan. 

We saw them just last year and their voices were still amazing.

It's been a very sad year so far :(

OMG!!!!!!!  How did I miss this?  I am a huge Eagles fan also.  Saw them twice, and in 2003 in Buffalo.  This is terrible news

I knew Frey and Bob Seger were old friends, but didn't know that's Frey singing the main back-up chorus on "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man".  I saw Glenn at The Palace of Auburn Hills on his solo tour for $.99 cents and a can of soup.  It was a much better show than I could have ever expected.  Also saw the Eagles at the first concert ever at Tiger Stadium on the first "Hell Freezes Over" Tour.  Glenn was always a bit of a brawler, and his time on the West Coast never seemed to erase that.  He was a typical Detroiter that couldn't help wearing his emotions right on his sleeves.  Never bought in to the animosity towards the Eagles for being in the right place at the right time as far as Country Rock.  One could just as easily argue that they filled a commercial void that CSNY began and was too wasted to fully capitalize on.  Those kind of feelings are a dime a dozen in the history of all eras of popular music.  RIP Glenn.... 

"The bright ones never come....they just get numb"  

16 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Actually, that was last year. 

As for Glenn Frey, I admit the only Eagles albums I had any time for were Hotel California and The Long Run (I know, I know)...the rest of their stuff was too derivative of Gram Parsons and the Burritos (among others) IMO. I admit I would have more sympathy for Frey if him and Henley weren't such assholes. Don Felder and Randy Meisner -to name but two- probably can't wait to take a leak on Glenn Frey's grave, and you can't really blame them.

But still, fucking hell- how many more people are we gonna lose this year? I got a feeling 2016 is gonna be a bad one...

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1013/don-felder-on-glenn-frey-he-was-the-eagles-james-dean/56084