The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

I really don't have the words to express my respect for Sir George Martin. He was second to none as a music producer and quintessential English gentleman. He lived a full, wonderful life and leaves behind a grand legacy and phenomenal body of work. So hard to say farewell.  

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I really don't have the words to express my respect for Sir George Martin. He was second to none as a music producer and quintessential English gentleman. He lived a full, wonderful life and leaves behind a grand legacy and phenomenal body of work. So hard to say farewell.  

Agreed.  I was fortunate enough to attend a speaking engagement he gave at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, NJ back in the late 90's to discuss the making of Sgt. Pepper.  He was great, just the epitome of that early 60's English class, if James Bond had a record producer it would have been George Martin (and he kind of did as he produced Live and Let Die)!

RIP George, thoughts and prayers for his family and friends..

R.I.P. George Martin. What a talented man.

Also today Australian singer/actor/songwriter Jon English passed away after complications with surgery. I saw him perform in the early eighties and got his autograph,  still got it.

As luck would have it,  I sat across from him on a train to Sydney last year.....

He started his career in the 70's playing Judas in Jesus Christ superstar....

KEITH EMERSON OF EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER

I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson. Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith.
Carl Palmer
March 11, 2016

^ My friend Warren must be gutted by this passing. A phenomenal player in his own right, Keith Emerson was his main inspiration. Jamming tonight .. Will be hearing Hoedown and Tarkus within the hour.. Rest in Peace Keith. 

2 musical geniuses gone in less than a week in Sir George Martin, now the amazing Keith Emerson.. Not familiar with Jon English, but Rest In Peace as well to him.. 

Edited by the chase

9 hours ago, slave to zep said:

Thanks, chase. You might enjoy some of the stuff on the you tube video s I posted.  He had a great rock voice... "old raccoon eyes"

He sounds very good. Almost a blend of Rod Stewart and Freddie Mercury. More Stewart obviously, but some higher pitch going on.  Thanks. 

I've been on youtube all morning looking up different Keith Emerson footage. I found Rachel Flowers playing Tarkus and Trilogy flawlessly. Five minutes in, I realize she's blind.  Incredibly moving. The talent out there is ridiculous. It's a shame that the powers that be in the music industry are pedalling so much crap when there is this unbelievable talent out there.

3 hours ago, the chase said:

He sounds very good. Almost a blend of Rod Stewart and Freddie Mercury. More Stewart obviously, but some higher pitch going on.  Thanks. 

I've been on youtube all morning looking up different Keith Emerson footage. I found Rachel Flowers playing Tarkus and Trilogy flawlessly. Five minutes in, I realize she's blind.  Incredibly moving. The talent out there is ridiculous. It's a shame that the powers that be in the music industry are pedalling so much crap when there is this unbelievable talent out there.

Thanks for taking the time to listen :)  yes, he does sound a bit Rod Stewart :)

I will have to listen to some of Keiths stuff.

Yes, lots of relatively unknown artists  that never make it outside of their own countries, it happens a lot with Aussies :(

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:09 PM, Freeyyaa said:

He is rumoured to commit suicide. Do you believe in it?
http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/11/keith-emerson-death-suicide/

Yes, I believe what you said is true. Yours is not a welcome post, but it is a good and true post. http://www.news24.com/xArchive/Archive/Depression-worst-disease-by-2020-20020403

Depression hits all of us. Emerson had a journey though life, and it must have become so difficult for him. :( Many of us that post on this thread respect those that leave an impact on us. It's hard for us to let them go, but we have no idea of what they are going through in their personal lives.

We tend to focus on what people give to us, rather than how they feel about what is going on with them. Many of them are loving and caring, and believe that it's a burden to share the weight of their discomfort. They can be ordinary people or famous people. But we are all just people. Maybe his burden was too great to carry for himself. I dunno, Freeyyaa. Sometimes the weight is too heavy to carry, and others feel it's a burden to share. I think it's a mistake, and others can help, if they know what is going on.

Edited by apantherfrommd

ELP star Keith Emerson 'shot himself because he could no longer perform perfectly for his fans'

Rock star Keith Emerson killed himself because he feared he was no longer good enough as a musician, his girlfriend exclusively told The Mail on Sunday last night.

The 71-year-old founder and keyboard player of Emerson, Lake and Palmer was "tormented with worry" about upcoming concerts in Japan because nerve damage to a hand had affected his playing said Mari Kawaguchi.

She found Emerson's body when she returned to the apartment the couple shared in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, early on Friday morning.

He had shot himself with a gun he kept for protection.

32226E5B00000578-3489624-image-a-3_14578

"Keith wasn't feeling well on Thursday night. He had bronchitis so I tucked him up in bed," said Kawaguchi, 52.

"He was sleeping when I left and I thought he was sleeping when I got back, but then I realised what had happened. He was gone. I am still in total shock.

"His right hand and arm had given him problems for years. He had an operation a few years ago to take out a bad muscle but the pain and nerve issues in his right hand were getting worse.

"He had concerts coming up in Japan and even though they hired a back-up keyboard player to support him, Keith was worried.

"He read all the criticism online and was a sensitive soul. Last year he played concerts and people posted mean comments such as, "I wish he would stop playing.'

32226E5700000578-3489624-image-a-2_14578

Photo: Emerson with girlfriend Mari Kawaguchi

"He was tormented with worry that he wouldn't be good enough. He was planning to retire after Japan.

"He didn't want to let down his fans. He was a perfectionist and the thought he wouldn't play perfectly made him depressed, nervous and anxious."

ELP, with drummer Carl Palmer and vocalist/guitarist Greg Lake, were progressive rock giants in the 1970s. Their hit albums included Brain Salad Surgery and Pictures At An Exhibition.

Daily Mail

Edited by luvlz2

Former BLUE MURDER Keyboardist NIK GREEN Dies After Battle With Cancer

bluemurderjellyrolltv_638.jpg.289eabd395

Ex-BLUE MURDER keyboardist NIK GREEN died last night after a battle with cancer. His passing was confirmed in a tweet from former BLUE MURDER bassist Tony Franklin, who called the keyboardist "a gentle soul and huge talent." He added in a separate tweet: "[Nik's] contribution to BLUE MURDER was huge."

BLUE MURDER was the brainchild of guitar virtuoso John Sykes. Upon Sykes' firing from the most successful version of WHITESNAKE, the former TYGERS OF PAN TANG and THIN LIZZY axeman set out to create a similar sounding bluesy hard rock band. They released two studio albums and one live album before breaking up in 1994. The late Ray Gillen, most famous for singing for BLACK SABBATH and BADLANDS, sang for an early version of BLUE MURDER, and the band reportedly recorded demos with him, but he didn't appear on any of the group's albums.

BLUE MURDER's self-titled debut album (1989) featured Green, Sykes and Franklin alongside Carmine Appice (drums).

Green was born in Somerset, England, and spent his childhood on the Welsh border. At age four, his mother caught him picking out the melodies of popular tunes on the radio, and promptly sent him to piano lessons. Nik later said: "I was taught piano in the uptight, rigid English tradition -- I hated it and completely rejected formal training." His relationship  with music was rescued by his great aunt who encouraged Nik to improvise as well as teaching him old Broadway tunes, ragtime and syncopation, "and all things frowned upon". Nik quit piano at 17, and soon after was "fired up" by the sounds of the synthesizer. "I re-taught myself pretty much from scratch," he said. "Most of my family, appalled by my failure to become an obedient military/corporate citizen, promptly disowned me -- resulting in an incredible feeling of freedom to follow my muse."

In 1980, Nik formed an all electronic trio with John Connell and Will Douglas, known as THE REALLY SCHMALTZY CABARET BOYS, playing electronic dance/ambient music. "Everyone thought we were totally crazy because we had no bass, guitar or standard drum set when everybody else around us was playing punk and metal," said Nik. John went on to join the English National Opera, singing Wagner and Verdi, but Nik joined English folk artist Roy Harper, whose band featured guitarist Jimmy Page and Franklin. In the late '80s, when electronic dance music was really catching on, Nik was recruited by Sykes and BLUE MURDER.

Nik has also been involved in various collaborations with Barry Palmer (singer with TRIUMVIRAT and Mike Oldfield). Nik also worked with INNER CITY UNIT as engineer/co-producer with Nik Turner on the EP "Blood And Bone". Nik also did time in various studios as sound engineer, programmer, and designing digital audio gear for Dawnhope and AMS.

Blabbermouth

7 hours ago, ebk said:

Is there any other, ebk?  He was set to perform last night in Daytona.  My condolences to his family, friends and fans.