The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

8 minutes ago, Strider said:

Let the Christmas deaths begin. It's already been a festive month...and now Penny Marshall. She was 75...same age as Keith Richards. Wrap your head around that.

diabetes is a killer. People with that disease don't live to be really old

1 hour ago, kipper said:

diabetes is a killer. People with that disease don't live to be really old

Yeah I'm grateful I just hit 50 and am still alive and kicking, and still using the old insulins. Got it when I was 10.

RIP Penny Marshall, always loved and missed Laverne & Shirley.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 4:29 PM, luvlz2 said:

Yeah I'm grateful I just hit 50 and am still alive and kicking, and still using the old insulins. Got it when I was 10.

RIP Penny Marshall, always loved and missed Laverne & Shirley.

Grew up on Laverne and Shirley and Happy Days. R.I.P. Penny Marshall.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Grim Reaper getting going in 2019...

RIP “Mean” Gene 

"Most recognizable interviewer in sports-entertainment history?" Yes, certainly in the world of professional wrestling, but Howard Cosell (and possibly Don Cherry) is arguably just as recognizable if not more so. I do agree with the sentiment though. Another '80s icon gone.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

"Most recognizable interviewer in sports-entertainment history?" Yes, certainly in the world of professional wrestling, but Howard Cosell (and possibly Don Cherry) is arguably just as recognizable if not more so. I do agree with the sentiment though. Another '80s icon gone.

I think that’s their way of differentiating real sports, ie Monday Night Football and professional boxing from pro wrestling - which is obviously completely sports entertainment only. He was entertaining that’s for sure! 

And the beat goes on...

R.I.P. Super Dave Osborne. Regular on Letterman and "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

https://deadline.com/2019/01/bob-einstein-dead-curb-your-enthusiasm-super-dave-osborne-smothers-brothers-1202527938/

33 minutes ago, Strider said:

And the beat goes on...

R.I.P. Super Dave Osborne. Regular on Letterman and "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

https://deadline.com/2019/01/bob-einstein-dead-curb-your-enthusiasm-super-dave-osborne-smothers-brothers-1202527938/

Very sad news to hear today. Bob Einstein was for my generation one of the great comic writers of his day. He along with Steve Martin, Murray Roman and others were the heart and soul of the Smother Brothers Show writers room. I feel bad for younger folks who never knew some of the great comic writers of decades past--- so many are now gone.

RIP Bob (Officer Judy / Super Dave / Marty Funkhouser)  

Thanks for all of the laughs when we needed them.

hqdefault.jpg

53a7403b97cd346243eff16d1a42c5b7.png

468674422f9888acb_w.jpg

larry-david-jeff-garlin-marty-funkhouser

Edited by kipper

• 2 weeks later...

Mel Stottlemyre. He fought his illness LIKE A BOSS.

Stottlemyre was first diagnosed with multiple myeloma, for which there is no cure, in the spring of 1999, his third season as Torre’s pitching coach. He underwent an experimental treatment for the disease that included a stem-cell transplant, four months of chemotherapy, and as many as 24 pills a day, after which doctors told him there was still no way of knowing if or when the disease would come back.

Long after he retired from baseball, he nevertheless continued to fight the dreaded disease, out-living the doctors’ most optimistic prognostications. On Oldtimers Day, June 20, 2015, after getting his doctors’ permissions, he made the cross-country trip to Yankee Stadium where the Yankees bestowed a surprise honor on him – a plaque in Monument Park. In an emotional, heart-rending speech reminiscent of the doomed Lou Gehrig’s address to a pack-house Stadium crowd some 77 years earlier, Stottlemyre provided one of the great moments in the team’s storied tradition.

“Today in this Stadium, there is no one that’s happier to be on this field than myself,” he said, choking up. “This is such a shock to me because the era I played in is an era where, for the most part, the Yankees have tried over the years, I think, somewhat to forget a little bit...If I never get to come to another Oldtimers Day, I will take these memories and I’ll start another baseball club, coaching up there, whenever they need me.”

• 2 weeks later...