The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

1 hour ago, ForEvermore said:

R.I.P., Wade Wilson

NFL quarterback with the Vikings, Falcons, Saints, Cowboys, and Raiders. He was only 60 - died exactly on his birthday (Feb. 1).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/02/01/dallas-cowboys-wade-wilson-dies-quarterbacks-coach-nfl/2747760002/

No way! That young?

Though his best and Golden years were ahead of him, may Wade Wilson rest in peace. I never thought I'd be saying those words about this person. 

Edited by apantherfrommd

On 2/1/2019 at 10:46 PM, ForEvermore said:

R.I.P., Wade Wilson

NFL quarterback with the Vikings, Falcons, Saints, Cowboys, and Raiders. He was only 60 - died exactly on his birthday (Feb. 1).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/02/01/dallas-cowboys-wade-wilson-dies-quarterbacks-coach-nfl/2747760002/

Absolutely.  RIP Wade Wilson

A heartbreaking loss in cinema - R.I.P., Bruno Ganz. One of my very favorite European actors - details here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/obituaries/bruno-ganz-dead.html

His films with Win Wenders are what I'll remember him most for, but his performances in Unknown (w/ Liam Neeson and Diane Kruger) and the modern remake of The Manchurian Candidate were very memorable too.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:20 PM, ForEvermore said:

A heartbreaking loss in cinema - R.I.P., Bruno Ganz. One of my very favorite European actors - details here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/obituaries/bruno-ganz-dead.html

His films with Win Wenders are what I'll remember him most for, but his performances in Unknown (w/ Liam Neeson and Diane Kruger) and the modern remake of The Manchurian Candidate were very memorable too.

Damn. I was just getting over the loss of Julie Adams (she was a spirited presence in my circle of friends/work and although you could see that in recent years she was slipping, I'll miss her greatly) and now the passing of one of my favourite foreign actors.

"Wings of Desire" is one of those films that permanently etched itself into my memory and my soul on first viewing. It is a mainstay in my personal all-time top 10...along with "The Godfather" and "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly". Bruno Ganz is exactly what you think or want an angel to be. It puts the American remake to shame.

Rest in peace Julie and Bruno.

10 Bruno Ganz movies I plan on rewatching this week.

1. Wings of Desire 1987

2. The American Friend 1977

3. Downfall 2004

4. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht 1979

5. The Reader 2008

6. Baader-Meinhof Complex 2008

7. Bread & Tulips 2000

8. Eternity & a Day 1998

9. Julia's Disappearance 2009

10. Last Days of Chez Nous 1992

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Damn. I was just getting over the loss of Julie Adams (she was a spirited presence in my circle of friends/work and although you could see that in recent years she was slipping, I'll miss her greatly) and now the passing of one of my favourite foreign actors.

"Wings of Desire" is one of those films that permanently etched itself into my memory and my soul on first viewing. It is a mainstay in my personal all-time top 10...along with "The Godfather" and "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly". Bruno Ganz is exactly what you think or want an angel to be. It puts the American remake to shame.

Rest in peace Julie and Bruno.

10 Bruno Ganz movies I plan on rewatching this week.

1. Wings of Desire 1987

2. The American Friend 1977

3. Downfall 2004

4. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht 1979

5. The Reader 2008

6. Baader-Meinhof Complex 2008

7. Bread & Tulips 2000

8. Eternity & a Day 1998

9. Julia's Disappearance 2009

10. Last Days of Chez Nous 1992

Very well said about Wings Of Desire - it is an absolutely sublime film. Completely agreed as well about the lowest-common-denominator, dumbed-down Hollywood remake of it: City Of Angels. (The remake is fine, if you like derivative love stories with one protagonist who happens to be an angel - otherwise, it's pretty much like every other love story made into a film.)

Thank you for your list - I had forgotten he was in the Nosferatu film. The American Friend deserves to be much better known too. He'll be remembered for Downfall forever, but I hope he will be remembered more for the Wim Wenders films he appeared in. R.I.P., Bruno.

Don Newcombe, Peter Tork...and now, the last of the directors of Hollywood's golden age, Stanley Donen. What a trifecta for the Grim Reaper. At least all were in their sunset years and weren't cut short in their prime, depriving us of their talent. Rest in peace, gentlemen.

Incredibly, Stanley Donen never received even an Oscar nomination, let alone a win. The man directed Singin' in the Rain, Charade, Two for the Road, Damn Yankees, On the Town, Anchors Away (where Gene Kelly danced with Jerry the Mouse), Indiscreet, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Bedazzled (the original).The Pajama Game, Funny Face, Royal Wedding (Astaire's famous dancing on the ceiling). The Academy finally rectified that by giving him a lifetime achievement Oscar in 1998. His acceptance speech was one of the greatest moments in Oscar history.

Edited by Strider