1977 tour gross

Geezer

Also, if Karac hadn't had died and the '77 tour had continued as scheduled, Led Zeppelin would have set a new record for largest crowd to see one act at their Super Dome show in New Orleans, breaking their own record set only months earlier at the Pontiac Silverdome.

Yeah, and then they would've set a new record at the JFK stadium in August.

• 7 years later...
On 4/19/2013 at 7:57 PM, Strider said:

^^^

It was reported as being sold out, Geezer. Every ticket supposedly sold. Of course, some of those tickets were sold to scalpers and ticket brokers, who then had to sell them on the secondary market. So it is possible a few scalpers ended up like Mark Damone and were left with some unsold tickets.

From all reports, though, every venue on the tour was technically a "sold out" concert. I know that's what the marquee at the Forum said.

Also, if Karac hadn't had died and the '77 tour had continued as scheduled, Led Zeppelin would have set a new record for largest crowd to see one act at their Super Dome show in New Orleans, breaking their own record set only months earlier at the Pontiac Silverdome.

I wasn't attacking you. I wasn't attacking your friends. I was only attacking the people you spoke to's definition of 'ludicrous'. For if they truly thought Led Zeppelin's ticket prices were ludicrous, then they must have thought every band's ticket prices were ludicrous.

It's not like Led Zeppelin was charging $7 to $9 and everyone else was charging $1. The usual club gig was around $3-$5 in 1977. A small 1,000-3,000 seat theatre type venue might be $5 to $8. Popular acts touring arenas and stadiums charged anywhere from $7 to $10.

Except for Pink Floyd...they charged $12 for the 1977 Animals show at Anaheim Stadium. They were the first to zoom past the $10 barrier. The Rolling Stones and the Eagles soon followed suit.

Coincidence or not, it's been those three bands ever since that have done the most to jack up ticket prices to fan-gouging levels. Pink Floyd was the first to charge $75, the Eagles the first to charge $100, and after that barrier was breached, all bets were off. The sky was the limit.

So I stand by my statement...your pals are idiots for thinking Led Zeppelin's ticket prices were 'ludicrous'. Either that, or they are like those European commie-hippies in the '70s who thought all music should be free and disrupted every concert they could (e.g. Led Zeppelin Milan 1971 riots and the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival).

It would have been New Orleans, but the end of the tour in Philadelphia would've definently beaten it. There would be, what, 100,000 people! If the tickets were 10 dollars, it would end up being $1,000,000

I think that would break every thing....

• 1 month later...