I Can't Quit You Baby vs. You Shook Me

I'm torn. I think on the studio versions, I like You Shook Me a little better. I love the trio of solos from Jones to Plant to Page. Plus, the tone on Jimmy's guitar in that solo is just so perfect. Plus, ICQYB is a bit restrained on the studio version. However, I think those two songs are major highlights of the BBC Sessions discs (both versions of each). The band is just so raw and powerful there. In a live comparison, there is nothing for me that tops the CODA/RAH version of ICQYB. Jimmy's solo is just insane, Bonzo's drums are ridiculous, it is just incredible.

As for the reference to Beck's You Shook Me... although a funky version, I think it is way off from the LZ version. Robert's voice is so powerful and clear and the high-end of his range, a far cry from Rod Stewart's raspy voice. And Bonzo and Jones provide a rhythm session that is light years beyond their peers in the Jeff Beck group. It is these same factors that reinforces why Jimmy's band proved to be so much more successful and endearing.

Also.. to the person who compared the two tracks to SIBLY, I think that song is much more similar to Tea for One and I'm Gonna Crawl. I love them all, SIBLY is legendary and Jimmy's solo is unmatched there. However, I do really like the laid-back restrained vocals on Tea for One, Robert's voice is so perfect on that song. I'm Gonna Crawl is a nice evolution of the concept... although possibly my least favorite of the three.

Thanks for the comments!!

I Can't Quit You Babe. I was singing its praises this morning. I find it very relatable :D

But for the record, Since I've Been Loving You is the best of their blues songs. In fact, it's my favourite.

The reason why I tend to prefer ICQYB or YSM over SIBLY is that by the time SIBLY made it into the live show, Robert wasmoving towards that point where he struggled to hit the high notes with consistency. The live versions of ICQYB and YSM are mostly from that magical 1968-1970 era when Robert was superhuman vocally. I also find Bonzo's power-drumming a bit more featured and pronounced on those tracks than SIBLY, and thus the reason why I prefer those two as my favorite LZ blues tunes vs. the subesequent trio of SIBLY / TFO / IGC.

I agree with the OP that to me nothing Led Zep did live ever topped ICQYB live in 1970 at RAH absolutely jaw dropping, stunning, out of this world, beyond words. As far as studio versions they are both very nice, but I still prefer ICQYB. You Shook Me is very BRASH some great unique vocal effects and solos but ICQYB is so very CLASS, refined, under-stated, brilliant. It's more of a blues purist track, with just the right hint of that Zeppelin mystique, personally, I love it.

How Many More Times, Darlene? I Can't Quit You Babe Since I've Been Loving You. Wearing And Tearing...Trampled Underfoot...That's The Way You Shook Me. Hey, Hey What Can I do? I'm Gonna Crawl. Sick Again. Nobody's Fault But Mine. Your Time Is Gonna Come. We're Gonna Groove In The Evening.

ICQB - I love the BBC Sessions version of this. SIBLY is my favorite of their blues songs. It is absolute LZ perfection on every front. JPJ's keyboard tinkle in the background makes the song so beautiful, IMO. YSM is masterful and I love it.

• 1 year later...

You shook me...raw sonic adventure ...closer to their own sound... i like ICQYB but it has more of an homage to otis rush feel than something they actually put their stamp on but if were talking live at rah that's a completely different beast and by that time i feel like they owned that song...

With the remasters out now, I have changed my stance on studio versions of these songs. This new, cleaned up version of You Shook Me is fantastic! I will now say (studio recording only) I prefer You Shook Me over ICQYB.

With the remasters out now, I have changed my stance on studio versions of these songs. This new, cleaned up version of You Shook Me is fantastic! I will now say (studio recording only) I prefer You Shook Me over ICQYB.

Interesting. It was very close but I used to prefer "You Shook Me" to "I Can't Quit You Baby". Steadily over time, however, I found myself gravitating more towards ICQYB's charms...it's brevity, it's more nuanced vocals, Bonham's crisp hi-hat. I wavered back-and-forth over the years between the two, but with these latest remasters, I have been able to hear them again with fresh ears.

I vote for ICQYB...and it was the revelation of Jonesey's bassline that cinched it. For some reason, I had never paid much attention to the bass before on the song, partly because it was muddled on past cd releases...it didn't have the clarity of Page's guitar or Bonham's drums. But now it sounds clear as a bell, with nice depth and round full tones. In fact, how much I enjoyed ICQYB was one of the biggest treats/surprises I had listening to the new reissued first album.

Incidentally, YSM and ICQYB share some similarities. Both are Willie Dixon blues standards and both are the penultimate songs on their respective sides and have nary a break between them and the following song; YSM segues immediately into D & C and ICQYB and HMMT are likewise linked. Both feature sizzling tone from Mr. Page.

Archived