How has society changed since the 70s--your opinion

ScarletMacaw

Agree 100% - Corn syrup is a MAJOR problem in the 21st century that really needs to be scaled back

Yes, the high fructose crap is in EVERYTHING!! I have cut out my processed sugar consumption almost 100%. I check all labels now for sugar content, especially if it's man made.

Actually, the beginning of the 70's was a rebirth for me as I had finally come out of my LSD self-induced madness and I felt like I had been reborn and began to love life again. :^)

i wish the kids of today could know what the 70's were like.

i loved the 70's - even though some really sad things happened in my life during that time, the good times out-weighed them. i have many fond memories.

kids: just think what it would be like to not only not have a mobile phone/pc/tablet etc, but we didn't even have a HOME phone, or a CAR!!

all communication had to be done face -to - face, at school. plans HAD to be made by 3pm on friday for the weekend. there were little meeting places around town - pool hall, cafe, swimming spots - you would go there in hopes of meeting up with mates. we walked a lot!

I don't think a forum such as this would take away from the mystique of the band, anymore than being a member of a fan club would do so; given that the fans can only really react to what the band puts out there in the public domain. The fact that nearly everyone who goes to a concert these days has the ability to record said concert then post that footage to a worldwide audience within seconds would have certainly had an effect on the control Zep/Peter Grant had to maintain their mystique.

Surely Zep would have had to of adopted a more media friendly approach to survive if they were a band starting out today?

I respectfully disagree. Unlike many other bands of that era, Zep rarely appeared on television. The iconic poster of Jimmy Page wearing his dragon suit and holding his double-neck guitar didn't come out until around 1975 so I had no idea what he looked like until then. Also, who's to say that Zep and their management would have been capable of adopting a more media friendly approach given the personalities involved?

Example Take 2

I had a saturday Job which paid me £8.00 for the day

I saw Rush on the 2112 tour 1977. Cost £1.50

Rush who are playing in Manchester Next Month: Cost £66.00 + £5 fee

Yes, I agree some concerts are grossly overpriced, but people get paid more now.

I'm a teenager myself and wow I promise not all of us are obsessed with technology haha we don't all live in our bedrooms surrounded by computers. I still talk face to face to my friends and do things in person and go outside.

I agree that some of us are taking technology too far and whatever (for example, on the bus everyday I'm surrounded by grumpy middle aged businessmen sitting in rows with their iPads out), but honestly, that's as much the older generations as it is teenagers.

One of my best friends was kicked out of school our Senior year (1978) for carrying a knife in school. He didn't threaten anybody or try to use it. Just having it was enough to get you bounced. The thought of bringing a gun to school just wasn't even on anyone's radar back then.

Being gay, admitting you were gay, or thinking someone was gay, just didn't happen. Most people didn't even realize that Paul Lynde (Hollywood Squares) was gay. Elton John almost ruined his career by coming out of the closet in the late 70's. Flamin' Liberace was just a happy guy that liked candles to my parents. Being gay meant not only that you were in the closet.....the closet door was closed and nailed shut for the most part.

Re" Being Gay in the 70's vs Today......Great point!

I'm a teenager myself and wow I promise not all of us are obsessed with technology haha we don't all live in our bedrooms surrounded by computers. I still talk face to face to my friends and do things in person and go outside.

I agree that some of us are taking technology too far and whatever (for example, on the bus everyday I'm surrounded by grumpy middle aged businessmen sitting in rows with their iPads out), but honestly, that's as much the older generations as it is teenagers.

Have to agree about the grumpy old businessmen :lol: . Good point about the older generations too. I'm not a big fan of people texting or checking their messages when we're in the middle of a conversation but I have to admit, a lot of my older friends have developed the habit . I find that funny because back in the day, all of them used to dread it when their girlfriends phoned the bar looking for them :lol:

Warning!...this will be all over the place lol

I was born in 1964 so I was roughly 6-16 yrs old during the 1970's. Just a kid with acne and a bad hair-cut trying to fit in and not get beat up. I think there are still probably a lot of kids like me today. At least I think so from what I hear in the media. There was a ton of name calling/bullying in the 70's.....names like four-eyes, fag, pizza-face, brace-face etc etc....it was all bullying for sure, and similar to what is happening today in some circumstances. And a lot of bad jokes about Polish, Pakistanis and Newfoundlanders (in Canada).....Don Rickles probably didn't help to curb this kind of joke telling (ya hockey-puck!...inside joke)

This may sound cliche, especially around here, but the Zeps were my saviour and got me through those years and still do today.

Which leads me to wonder this........It's been said and shown around here lately how many young people today are into Led Zeppelin. That amazes me! Not because I don't think Zeppelin is timeless and that the music is there for the enjoyment of any aged person......What I'd like to know is, "is there a band today that is proving to be as impactful with the current youth, as was, the Zeps to the youth of the 1970's?"......

Next....Maybe I am wrong on this one, but I think women's opportunities, in enhancing their lives in recreation and education, is more prevalent today than in the 1970's. I don't have stats but for example, where I live, girls/women hockey has really grown where there was none in the 1970's. I believe post secondary opportunities for women has grown and women in political power has definitely increased....I am speaking from a Canadian perspective.

I can't say for sure if people were friendlier or not in the 1970's but I know for sure we were not as self-absorbed. I think cell phones, blackberry's, etc have stifled us during daily human interaction. Count how many times you see someone smile, acknowledge, hold the door, etc for someone else in a day. You will probably only need one hand.

Still there is a ton of good stuff going on today that mirrors the 1970's . On Saturday i am part of a clean up crew at Milligan's Pond here in Barrie. Were gonna pull all the garbage out of the water and surrounding forest so the ducks and turtles can have as natural a setting as possible. The 1970's was the decade that started to talk about pollution control and recycling.

And I am playing guitar for a 16 year old girl (daughter of a friend) who has written some very beautiful, thoughtful and inspirational songs. She is not familiar with the likes of Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Janis Ian and Stevie Nicks to name a few, but she is writing similar themed songs 40 years later based on her societal view of today.......

ok I am done...ciao

Next....Maybe I am wrong on this one, but I think women's opportunities, in enhancing their lives in recreation and education, is more prevalent today than in the 1970's. I don't have stats but for example, where I live, girls/women hockey has really grown where there was none in the 1970's. I believe post secondary opportunities for women has grown and women in political power has definitely increased....I am speaking from a Canadian perspective.

No, no. You're definitely right about that.

Basically, there are three waves of feminism.

First Wave was in the later 1800s to early 1900s and it was all concerning suffragette and all about women getting the vote

Second Wave was the 60s - 70s and it was all about sexual liberation and equal rights

and Third Wave is the current one, all about gender and sexuality i.e. trans and gender neutral and cis, etc.

So right now, in third wave, females have all the rights achieved by the first and second libbers and are still striving for more, and it honestly is alot healthier.

I mean, some Aussie facts for a comparison: Julia Gillard is in office right now and she is the first female Australian prime minister.

And it's because of the feminists in the 1970s that women can be sexual and there is no more disengagement from women and their libidos.

In short, times are definitely better for females now (but there's still alot to be improved)

I was born in the late 70's so really my memory was of the 80's. Yeah I remember there was no 24/7 hour this and that, no internet..hell there was no such thing as the word "pedophile" it was just simply "bad men".

(I may be a bit off topic here on this one...) Personally I think kids have too many opinions and think they know everything, take for instince you talk to a child and they would talk back to you as you were speaking to an adult. Children WERE children in the 70's/80's. Kids back then knew thier place and yes you had punishment, a smack around the legs or threaten that "your father will deal with you when he gets home". You litterly crapped yourself when you heard those words.

Just recently there was a 17 year old girl in Britain was given a job of being a youth police commissioner and getting paid £10 grand a year for it, she had to step down over a story that she tweeted racial insults but the way I see it is an example of "know all" kids but in reality, they come across as bit stupid, selfish and self-absorbed

Also back on topic (I think) I miss the old MTV, saturday morning kids tv, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks grapling on tv wrestling (long before the panto you see with todays "wrestlers") and proper 10p mix-ups at the sweetshop.

Also about being gay, it seems to be the fashion nowdays to be one, it literly seems to in your face (pardon the pun)

From a U.K perspective in 1975 Margaret Thatcher became the leader off her political party and by 1979 she was the Prime Minister of the U.K (for the next 11 years) so yeah, make of that what you will...

I mean, some Aussie facts for a comparison: Julia Gillard is in office right now and she is the first female Australian prime minister.

Not that it necessarily changes the point you are making, but I think it's worth noting (to those that may not know anything about Aussie politics) that she wasn't voted in by the public:p so while I'm sure the Aussie public wouldn't have a problem voting for a women PM; we don't actually know that yet.

Back to the thread, I would also suggest that it is perhaps hard to say whether society has changed for the better since the 70's as most people have a propensity to romantise the decade in which they spent their salad days, for example: how often have we had to politely listen to those who grew up in the "swinging sixties" eulogise ad nauseum about how EVERYTHING was better then, maaan, and sure, maybe if you frequented Carnaby Street or were a denizen of the Haight-Ashbury the sixties were really swinging for you. But for the average Joe; it probably wasn't.

However, I wish to live in the 70's portrayed by the film Almost Famous! (the 2 and a half hour bootleg cut version, please)

From a U.K perspective in 1975 Margaret Thatcher became the leader off her political party and by 1979 she was the Prime Minister of the U.K (for the next 11 years) so yeah, make of that what you will...

Not that it necessarily changes the point you are making, but I think it's worth noting (to those that may not know anything about Aussie politics) that she wasn't voted in by the public:p so while I'm sure the Aussie public wouldn't have a problem voting for a women PM; we don't actually know that yet.

Back to the thread, I would also suggest that it is perhaps hard to say whether society has changed for the better since the 70's as most people have a propensity to romantise the decade in which they spent their salad days, for example: how often have we had to politely listen to those who grew up in the "swinging sixties" eulogise ad nauseum about how EVERYTHING was better then, maaan, and sure, maybe if you frequented Carnaby Street or were a denizen of the Haight-Ashbury the sixties were really swinging for you. But for the average Joe; it probably wasn't.

However, I wish to live in the 70's portrayed by the film Almost Famous! (the 2 and a half hour bootleg cut version, please)

she is VERY unpopular, almost certain not to get a win next time.

No, no. You're definitely right about that.

Basically, there are three waves of feminism.

First Wave was in the later 1800s to early 1900s and it was all concerning suffragette and all about women getting the vote

Second Wave was the 60s - 70s and it was all about sexual liberation and equal rights

and Third Wave is the current one, all about gender and sexuality i.e. trans and gender neutral and cis, etc.

So right now, in third wave, females have all the rights achieved by the first and second libbers and are still striving for more, and it honestly is alot healthier.

And it's because of the feminists in the 1970s that women can be sexual and there is no more disengagement from women and their libidos.

In short, times are definitely better for females now (but there's still alot to be improved)

Females have all the rights achieved by First and Second Feminism??? I wish!!! Well we did get the vote...but First Wave feminism was initially about much more than that...they watered it down to be about suffrage. And it started in 1848, not the late 1800s. And we got the vote in 1920, woo hoo, only 70 years after the women's movement began.

I was born in the late 70's so really my memory was of the 80's. Yeah I remember there was no 24/7 hour this and that, no internet..hell there was no such thing as the word "pedophile" it was just simply "bad men".

(I may be a bit off topic here on this one...) Personally I think kids have too many opinions and think they know everything, take for instince you talk to a child and they would talk back to you as you were speaking to an adult. Children WERE children in the 70's/80's. Kids back then knew thier place and yes you had punishment, a smack around the legs or threaten that "your father will deal with you when he gets home". You litterly crapped yourself when you heard those words.

Just recently there was a 17 year old girl in Britain was given a job of being a youth police commissioner and getting paid £10 grand a year for it, she had to step down over a story that she tweeted racial insults but the way I see it is an example of "know all" kids but in reality, they come across as bit stupid, selfish and self-absorbed

Also about being gay, it seems to be the fashion nowdays to be one, it literly seems to in your face (pardon the pun)

It's called child abuse and one of the biggest advances since the 70s is we finally are taking it seriously. I've been a substance abuse counselor and the vast majority of the addicts I worked with were survivors of child abuse. Every study has shown that beating children leads to emotional problems, drug problems and/or criminal behavior. Of course it's hard for people to come to terms with what happened to them in childhood, which is why it's important for the survivors to go to therapy.

And of course the word pedophilia has been around for a long time, but most laypeople were not familiar with it.

This is true. Although Thatcher was VERY unpopular and she managed to win three general elections including one landslide. Maybe the red hair somehow counteracts the unpopularity?

Regarding homosexuality - I think the fact that our society now has alot more gay pride facilities - e.g. Oxford St, Sydney, speaks volumes about how our society has changed.

I'm pretty sure I'm just proving your belief that children think they know everything here, but as a "child" that thinks they know everything and isn't afraid to talk back to those deeply conservative, discriminatory, dogmatic teachers and authorities of mine... well if someone tried to smack me for it, that's a blatant violations of my rights. And not only that, it's bloody ageist and condescending because even though I'm young, I still think I have valid opinions, despite my denarian state.

YEP PRETTY MUCH

I was actually just watching that movie the other day. That's the kind of seventies that I would really love to believe exists.

Females have all the rights achieved by First and Second Feminism??? I wish!!! Well we did get the vote...but First Wave feminism was initially about much more than that...they watered it down to be about suffrage. And it started in 1848, not the late 1800s. And we got the vote in 1920, woo hoo, only 70 years after the women's movement began.

I'm sorry I think that was misconstrued

I meant that females have the rights achieved by 1st and 2nd wave feminism on top of others for our current society. Maybe I should've clarified that better

But I'm not exactly sure why we're debating this, we're both on the same feminist side aren't we? haha

Which is rather sad considering the alternative, Tony Abbott.

But now that I think about it, my area of Sydney is one of the safest seats in all of Australia and has been deeply Liberal party for so many years, but maybe that's changing because all of my peers, the younger demographic, are all for Labour rather than Liberal.

Merely speculations though.

To be honest, not everything was better back in the day, some of us don’t want 70’s bush back – nice clean shaven is much better!

lol Charles! Good point! Even the dudes are man-scaping too these days......I wish i had of bought shares in Gillette!

Regarding homosexuality - I think the fact that our society now has alot more gay pride facilities - e.g. Oxford St, Sydney, speaks volumes about how our society has changed.

I'm pretty sure I'm just proving your belief that children think they know everything here, but as a "child" that thinks they know everything and isn't afraid to talk back to those deeply conservative, discriminatory, dogmatic teachers and authorities of mine... well if someone tried to smack me for it, that's a blatant violations of my rights. And not only that, it's bloody ageist and condescending because even though I'm young, I still think I have valid opinions, despite my denarian state.

Well played SW! Cheers Fishy...and you taught me a new word "Denarian".....had to look it up.....thanks

YEP PRETTY MUCH

I was actually just watching that movie the other day. That's the kind of seventies that I would really love to believe exists.

I was born in the mid 60s and grew up in the 70s. The things that stand out the most for me are related to technology and parenting:

1) Technology. We grew up with mimeographs, rotary phones, 8 track tapes. We've had to learn from scratch and keep up with an incredible amount of technology. Which has had a tremendous impact on all of society, including careers. Which leads me to

2) The amount of information we process daily and our work productivity has skyrocketed. No wonder I can't find my car keys.

and then

3) When I was a kid, we dropped off our books, went outside and played anywhere within a 2-3 mile radius of home. Mom rang the bell when dinner was ready (or hollered!). There were no cell phones or texting. I was a responsible paid babysitter at 10-11 years old. My friends and I rode the bus downtown in middle school and spent the day there. We trick or treated by ourselves in 3rd grade. Life was a lot safer and we also got way more fresh air and exercise.

4) I get that the world is not as safe as it used to be and precautions need to be taken. But helicopter parenting is WAY different than the way we were raised. We were Breakfast Club kids; solidly Generation X. There were kids I went to school with since elementary school, whose Dads I never, ever saw (much less met).

I too also miss handwritten letters. I still have boxes of letters I received in college from my family and friends at other schools. The excitement of receiving a hand written letter from someone special; well, there's just nothing like that anymore.

that is so funny,the kids nowdays always have their heads down!!!

There was not internet, no cable, no cell phones, you could buy a pack of cigarettes in a machine in a restaurant, there was good hash around, good weed imported, not done with hydroponics, coke all over the place (though the 80s was known more for coke), and of course, you could REALLY SEE LED ZEPPELIN. You could still buy a classic 60's mustang. I used to play sports alot. Loved it. The internet has changed the world forever. But when we get power outages and lose satellite signals, we will have lots of young teenagers going nuts. OMG, what am I to do without my cell phone, I Pod and Kindle or Apple? Notice you cant find pay phones anymore? Why dont they just throw in the towel and legalize gambling. The offshore betting is off the charts. The long hair is gone also. And so too the perms of the 80's. Dreams of landing on Mars are now pretty much out the window.

You could get the real Coors when you were lucky to have someone bring some East. Not the piss water they sell now with preservatives

Archived