Zep inspired original with a very familiar sample

karlpothast

Hey everybody - new to the forum - huge diehard fan since i discovered zep in 96. I became my inspired to get as good at guitar as I could and ended up being a teacher in college at a local chain music store all cause of Jimmy and the boys

Would like people to check out this tune with a sample that I'm sure you'll recognize. Kinda of a dive bar inspired song that I was trying to write in the style or at least spirit of Zep - I hired a young singer to do the vocals and harmonies

I'm really not trying to spam - would just like to people to take a listen to my homage

thanks!!

The sample does sound familiar! but no, I can't quite place it.

Seriously though, it reminds me more of something like this than of Zep:

In that both songs are using samples and have that kind of laid back summer vibe. It's not my time of thing; lyrically it makes that Drive By song by Train seem profound; but then it is musical fluff, but there is a place for fluff and putting on my objective hat I think it has the potential to be a mainstream hit, as I have to admit it is pretty catchy...kids on spring break will probably like it.

ha ha - i can't tell if that is totally insulting or a compliment - but thanks for taking a listen

Even I don't know anymore. I will say that if something is really god awful then I wouldn't say anything. I'm not trying to be dismissive or insulting and my comments are meant to be taken tongue-in-cheek. I probably enjoyed your song to a degree; but I'm not really a big fan of sampling. You could do with some more instrumentation on it as it sounds a bit "samey" and repetitive. But I'm no expert and if you are happy with it then that's the main thing. Are you just doing it for fun, or?

Yea I hear you - I heard this same kinda sample on a bootleg disc like 12 years ago and I just liked the idea of that repeating hey hey ma ma - it is a little silly though

Now hear is one with much more emphasis on the music - never put lyrics to it. But the idea is a big epic song maybe about heaven or the afterlife where I was trying to create a Kashmir meets Ramble on sort of thing. What do you think of this one musically?

Much better mate, especially like the first 29 seconds and the solo is pretty interesting...although I'm not sure I'm hearing any "Ramble On" to be honest. To me this sounds more Beatlesque/George Harrison inspired in some of the chord changes, etc.

If you want me to be slightly critical, I would say the bass is too low, and it makes me glad that I am too stupid and lazy to be able to program drums on my digital recorder because, even though I cannot really do any fills and more often than not I have timing issues, I just don't like them generally - but then my stuff is pretty sloppy. I guess that is just a taste issue.

On that note, it's only right that I allow you the right - if you so wish to - to go and exact some revenge and make a comment on my Zep inspired songs; one where I'm not sure if it is "totally insulting or a compliment" :huh:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/19875-my-zep-tribute-songs/#entry682501

Archived