Jimmy Page solo album "No Progress"

royalrumpus

1989-2013: Solo artist concerts, singles, albums - 0

... Not true .. Net Aid was billed as Jimmy Page solo...

Coverdale/Page

No Quarter

Walking To Clarksdale

Live at The Greek

Come with Me.

Celebration Day

It Might Get Loud

Are all post 1989 releases.. Not solo .. So what?

Plus all the Zeppelin remasters, Tours with DC, RP, The Black Crowes, Live DVD's and whatever..

Could he have been busier? Sure. Nobody disagrees.

Jimmy Page "The Producer" has been much busier than Jimmy Page "The Musician".. That's just the way it is...

I have no dog in this fight. As a professional journalist of more than 25 years experience, however, I feel compelled to interject some reality into this thread

ZepsApprentice wrote:

"Double sourcing? Checking sources? When you posted a photograph a couple of months ago on your Twitter account of Mr Bucks Burnett with Jimmy Page at the Tower House, did it not occur to you to seek Mr Burnett's permission to post the photograph, given that the intellectual copyright in the photograph subsisted in Mr Burnett (a real writer, and Dallas music legend, btw)? I somehow doubt it."

First, source-checking has nothing to do with photo copyright clearance. These are two separate things.

Secondly, Bucks Burnett is not the intellectual copyright holder on the photo in question unless he took the picture. Since he appears in the photo with Mr. Page, then he obviously didn't take it. The photographer, whoever that may be, owns the copyright.

Thirdly, if Bucks Burnett posted it on his public FB page, Cookie had the "fair use" right to re-publish the photo as part of a Twitter or other social media "share."

Should the copyright owner object to the photo being republished, they can send Cookie a takedown request and let it play out in the courts.

That's my 2 cents, FWIW.

Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. Please don't construe my professional opinion as legal advice. :-)

... Not true .. Net Aid was billed as Jimmy Page solo...

Coverdale/Page

No Quarter

Walking To Clarksdale

Live at The Greek

Come with Me.

Celebration Day

It Might Get Loud

Are all post 1989 releases.. Not solo .. So what?

Plus all the Zeppelin remasters and Live DVD's and whatever..

Could he have been busier? Sure. Nobody disagrees.

Jimmy Page "The Producer" has been much busier than Jimmy Page "The Musician".. That's just the way it is...

You've missed my point so here it is: Over the past 25+ years Jimmy Page has accomplished virtually nothing - zero - as a solo artist.

It's beating a dead horse at this point for anyone to insist as they do that he is on the cusp of embarking upon some majestic solo odyssey.

As for Net Aid, it was just a guest spot and not a proper concert-length performance as a solo artist which is what I was referring to.

Do not worry LSpencer, no one will be mistaking you for an attorney any time soon. You are remembered as one who was around one of the 'Celebration Day' premieres.

Point two - you are not interjecting 'some reality' into anything.

Perhaps then Mr Burnett (or his apologist on this site) would like to tell us who took the photograph.

"Should the copyright owner object to the photo being republished, they can send Cookie a takedown request and let it play out in the courts"

LSpencer, this is not likely to happen because none of the parties has a pot to piss in, let alone instigate litigation, and pay lawyers.

"I have no dog in this fight." For once, you got something right

As a professional journalist of more than 25 years experience, however, I feel compelled to interject some reality into this thread

ZepsApprentice wrote:

"Double sourcing? Checking sources? When you posted a photograph a couple of months ago on your Twitter account of Mr Bucks Burnett with Jimmy Page at the Tower House, did it not occur to you to seek Mr Burnett's permission to post the photograph, given that the intellectual copyright in the photograph subsisted in Mr Burnett (a real writer, and Dallas music legend, btw)? I somehow doubt it."

First, source-checking has nothing to do with photo copyright clearance. These are two separate things.

Secondly, Bucks Burnett is not the intellectual copyright holder on the photo in question unless he took the picture. Since he appears in the photo with Mr. Page, then he obviously didn't take it. The photographer, whoever that may be, owns the copyright.

Thirdly, if Bucks Burnett posted it on his public FB page, Cookie had the "fair use" right to re-publish the photo as part of a Twitter or other social media "share."

Should the copyright owner object to the photo being republished, they can send Cookie a takedown request and let it play out in the courts.

Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. Please don't construe my professional opinion as legal advice. :-)

You've missed my point so here it is: Over the past 25+ years Jimmy Page has accomplished virtually nothing - zero - as a solo artist.

It's beating a dead horse at this point for anyone to insist as they do that he is on the cusp of embarking upon some majestic solo odyssey.

As for Net Aid, it was just a guest spot and not a proper concert-length performance as a solo artist which is what I was referring to.

I don't think anyone really believes he's embarking on a solo "odyssey".. I'm in the "believe it when I see it" camp..

But you make it come off as if he's done nothing.. Whether it's solo or a collaboration really doesn't make much difference to me..

That was my point.. Coverdale / Page is as good as any solo project Page could have done...I agree that at 70, he's probably not going to be re-launching any solo career. i'd be happy to get a quality album.. But again I'll believe it when i see it...

I don't think anyone really believes he's embarking on a solo "odyssey".. I'm in the "believe it when I see it" camp..

But you make it come off as if he's done nothing.. Whether it's solo or a collaboration really doesn't make much difference to me..

That was my point.. Coverdale / Page is as good as any solo project Page could have done...I agree that at 70, he's probably not going to be re-launching any solo career. i'd be happy to get a quality album.. But again I'll believe it when i see it...

I'm with you, I didn't draw attention to Cookie's tweet because I believe we're about to see more of Jimmy Page than we saw of Phil Collins in the 90's. I just believe that he's probably written a bunch of stuff, and he's probably recorded a bunch of stuff. At some point we'll hear it, maybe this year.

The tweet is just a fun little clue, nothing more, nothing less. Too bad even a hint of Jimmy releasing new music is cause for some people to snark and/or fight around here.

Don't let Jimmy's age fool you. Buddy Guy, Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, BB King, and others are as old or much older, and they are still active and playing music everywhere. Buddy Guy still tours every year and he's in his 80's.

Jimmy still has some magic in his hat believe me.

New recordings doesn't mean he has to tour behind them - just release the material and play here and there if he wants.

I had hoped when I joined this forum that it was a place that would focus on the great music Led Zeppelin created as well as what other projects the remaining band members might be working on currently. I am disappointed that the moderators don't take a more forceful approach in locking down threads that deteriorate into a kindergarten fashion of back and forth bashing as the original topic is long lost. I only check in here occasionally nowadays and this seems to be happening more and more which is hugely disappointing.....

I've long given up on the notion of Jimmy having a musical comeback or releasing a solo album. The impression I get is that if it isn't Zeppelin he isn't interested and fair enough - the guy's 70 and certainly has nothing to prove anymore. Having said that I'd be surprised if there is nothing 'in the vault' so to speak - even if its just instrumental stuff so I could see that coming out at some point.

Yes, you've just nailed it concisely.

I've long given up on the notion of Jimmy having a musical comeback or releasing a solo album. The impression I get is that if it isn't Zeppelin he isn't interested and fair enough - the guy's 70 and certainly has nothing to prove anymore. Having said that I'd be surprised if there is nothing 'in the vault' so to speak - even if its just instrumental stuff so I could see that coming out at some point.

I'm not inferring he's done nothing overall, rather I'm speaking strictly within the context/point of this thread - "solo album: no progress".

Don't let Jimmy's age fool you. Buddy Guy, Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, BB King, and others are as old or much older, and they are still active and playing music everywhere. Buddy Guy still tours every year and he's in his 80's. Jimmy still has some magic in his hat believe me. New recordings doesn't mean he has to tour behind them - just release the material and play here and there if he wants.

Very, very few of Jimmy's peers do continue recording and touring the world. In fact, Eric Clapton shall be performing more gigs in Japan this week than Jimmy has performed anywhere in the world over the past 14 years. The difference is Jimmy's peers do so on the strength of their solo efforts alone...they don't seem to need the reformation of anything to find/maintain the essential level of ambition. It's a shame

Page/Jones/Bonham line-up (2008) amounted to nothing 'cause when it didn't it was over. That was nearly six years ago, by the way.

I had hoped when I joined this forum that it was a place that would focus on the great music Led Zeppelin created as well as what other projects the remaining band members might be working on currently. I am disappointed that the moderators don't take a more forceful approach in locking down threads that deteriorate into a kindergarten fashion of back and forth bashing as the original topic is long lost. I only check in here occasionally nowadays and this seems to be happening more and more which is hugely disappointing.....

60blues, ultimately any online forum is only as interesting and self-disciplined as it's membership. Aggressive moderation of all this muck would be a full time job. I have found the best approach is to place the most banal members on permanent ignore, and that reminds me:

zepsapprentice: Permanent Ignore <click>

I have no dog in this fight. As a professional journalist of more than 25 years experience, however, I feel compelled to interject some reality into this thread...

A "professional journalist" should always cite their sources. It's bad form to just copy and paste -- or worse, withhold context.

Come on buddy, this is just you harassing another member of the forum now.

Ugh, he (?) reminds me of the person I mentioned in my other post. I feel bad for commenting at all now, since it looks like I'm on his side.

I would LOVE to hear another Page solo effort, as I thought Outrider was *OK* but definitely not great. I thought Plant's first solo effort was WOW, and was expecting similar from JP.

It's been said before, and I think it's probably true. We won't get another solo record from Mr. Page. I hope to God he proves us doomsayers wrong.....

I would LOVE to hear another Page solo effort, as I thought Outrider was *OK* but definitely not great. I thought Plant's first solo effort was WOW, and was expecting similar from JP.

It's been said before, and I think it's probably true. We won't get another solo record from Mr. Page. I hope to God he proves us doomsayers wrong.....

I truly believe that his heart is not in it at this stage. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that he doesn't want to make a solo album. I really believe that he is at the stage of his life where he is doing the retrospective review, and focusing on aspects of his true love, Led Zeppelin. He's taken up record collecting with fervor, and I think that he is just plain and simply comfortable to be Jimmy Page, the senior retiree. Smelling the flowers and living the dream. You can just see it in his glow. He's loving it. I think if he does do a solo album, it will not be with his whole heart in it, and it might even be something like a compilation of old material, like XYZ, etc. I cannot help but feel that a new album of new material, and a tour, is highly, highly improbable.

I'm not inferring he's done nothing overall, rather I'm speaking strictly within the context/point of this thread - "solo album: no progress".

Got it.. You also posted in another thread that Page has done nothing relevant since 1975.

I believe it was in the Clapton is God thread ...

Got it.. You also posted in another thread that Page has done nothing relevant since 1975.

I believe it was in the Clapton is God thread ...

It's merely an opinion, but I have stated many times Page reached his artistic zenith with the completion of Presence in Munich, November 1975.

It's merely an opinion, but I have stated many times Page reached his artistic zenith with the completion of Presence in Munich, November 1975.

That's not necessarily a put down, it's just the was it is for most artists. Clapton hit his zenith with Layla IMO, Stones with Exile, etc. Springsteen has put out a ton of albums but I'd say his zenith was also in the 70's, or maybe 1980 with The River.

Archived