Jimmy Page solo album "No Progress"

royalrumpus

I've discussed this before, not that anyone paid attention ,but Jimmy and Martin M. Have been

Recording stuff in the field and exxperimenting with guitar syncopation over odd vocal and cultural

Music for some time. Probably since the aborted Montreal Project and the Un-Ledded No Quarter

Live stuff in Morocco and wales and a lot of Asian field music. Its just a matter of Jimmy finally releasing

A finished product. Think of Moby's "PLAY" recording on steroids and you may get a picture

Of what to expect. MP2013

I paid some attention to it, but paid more attention to the multiple forum members who essentially debunked that theory.

This thing is getting ridiculous. Jimmy himself has said several times he's recording an album but nobody believes it.

I'm not in that camp -- I do believe Jimmy when he claims to have spent some time on it...however, it's debatable how much time has been spent on it, and progress seems to have ground to a halt if the guy's manager is to be believed. I can understand the cynicism, too: Jimmy's essentially been promoting another solo album since Outrider was released twenty-five years ago.

I paid some attention to it, but paid more attention to the multiple forum members who essentially debunked that theory.

Sorry to Hear that Cooks....Let the de-Bunkers do what they do but a Wiser

Person keeps an open mind and an open Ear. ;-)

This thing is getting ridiculous. Jimmy himself has said several times he's recording an album but nobody believes it.

I believed it. Everyone who doesn't will just pretend they did once Jimmy releases it. They only spent the time complaining he is doing nothing. I am wondering if we will hear something this weekend only because the 2 year annivesary of the his web site is Sunday.

I am sorry you are ignored, Cookie. You are always helpful.

I've also always believed it, especially after that BBC interview in which Page himself said he's recording an album.

...Again: How many interviews has he given in the twenty-five years since Outrider was released where he's claimed to have been recording an album? That is the reason for people's cynicism -- that, and the fact that the guy's manager asserted that there was "No progress" being made on it, assumedly due to the Led Zeppelin box-sets he appears to have immersed himself in.

That's not to say that I disbelieve him -- I do think he has been attempting to record an album for years; I hope he's made some "progress," that the lack of forward movement is temporary, that he's only being stalled by the sets...but I won't hold my breath until he announces something of substance.

Jimmy is the ORIGINAL Sensational Space Shifter and his new

Works will prove that...

I didn't realize it was 4:20 already.

:P

Come on, that's some fanboysh talk.

As an overall album, it isn't good at all. Judging by guitar-work only, it's still very subpar, especially by Page's standards.

You're certainly entitled to you're opinion. It's definitely, not his best work, but there are a lot of pluses of Outrider. Some of it I don't like, but there are a number of tracks I like quite a bit and listen to often.

You're certainly entitled to you're opinion. It's definitely, not his best work, but there are a lot of pluses of Outrider. Some of it I don't like, but there are a number of tracks I like quite a bit and listen to often.

Prison Blues is freakin' awesome...

Prison Blues is freakin' awesome...

Agreed and Pagey said that it was pretty much a live recording. I remember him saying how he pulled his classic Les Paul out for the first time in a while and it sounded so full and rich to him. There are a few gems there, the songs sounded even better live on that tour!

Agreed and Pagey said that it was pretty much a live recording. I remember him saying how he pulled his classic Les Paul out for the first time in a while and it sounded so full and rich to him. There are a few gems there, the songs sounded even better live on that tour!

Definitely, agree that a number of these songs sounded better live than the studio versions. Especially, Writes of Winter and Emerald Eyes.

Having listened to a fair amount of the 1988 live shows...I don't think Pagey's played nearly as well in the intervening years as he did on that tour.

Having listened to a fair amount of the 1988 live shows...I don't think Pagey's played nearly as well in the intervening years as he did on that tour.

I'll take his playing on the 1998 P & P tour over 1988 any day..."No Quarter" and "How Many More Times" were amazing at those shows!

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Jimmy has recorded quite a bit of solo material over the years that for whatever reason is unfinished or he considers not strong enough to release. He owned Sol Studio's for over a decade, There has to be material in the vaults.

I don't think he's lying when he says he's working on solo material. Maybe a bit over enthusiastic.

And seeing how so many people rip his post Zeppelin material to shreds, he's probably in no hurry to release anything.

Again... Led Zeppelin will always take priority for Jimmy.

Outrider has some good moments and some brilliant moments.

The 3 instrumentals are all real good.

I'm not crazy about Jason's drum sound to be honest .... way too much reverb and the toms sound dead,

But he was only 21-22 when it was recorded..

Barriemore Barlowe sounds real good on Liquid Mercury.

Quote from the man himself...

"Outrider's all right. It's demo-like compared with those overproduced albums that came out at the time. It didn't do very well - doesn't matter - but I did tour. I was playing music on that tour going right back to The Yardbirds. Jason Bonham was the drummer on that tour.”

Come on, that's some fanboysh talk.

As an overall album, it isn't good at all. Judging by guitar-work only, it's still very subpar, especially by Page's standards.

What do you consider Page's definitive recordings?

Archived