Jimmy Page slandered for occultism in Daily Mail

TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

Anyone have any clue what his reasons were? Or know if he ever sold off any of the other Crowley memorabilia?

Well, at the time he sold Boleskine, (this was over 20 years ago, mind you) I was given to understand that it had to do with liquidation of material assets considered "common property" in a Divorce Court. There was a lot of talk among Thelemites, but nobody actually stepped up with the 200,000 British Pounds he was asking for it back in 1990, and it was bought by ordinary people who turned it into a Bed & Breakfast.

Yes, that's the Lamen of the O.T.O. he's wearing in the picture.

The other sigil you have up there is a modified symbol of Crowley's Magickal Order, the A.'.A.'. (whose name is *supposed* to be Argentum Astrum [silver Star] but may in fact stand for something else). Crowley founded the A.'.A.'. around 1909, if I recall correctly.

Crowley did not found the O.T.O; he assumed its leadership in the 1920's, the Lamen predates this. The Lamen is a pretty common object, you can go over to Ebay and find Lamen pendants, rings, hats, T-shirts being sold by a number of individuals.

I have to agree with you about Crowley, Scylla; it just seems like he was a rich person with a lot of time on his hands and a need to feel important by creating his own religion...

Crowley didn't create Thelema, he wasn't even the first Englishman to use it, that honor goes to Sir Francis Dashwood, founder of the Monks of Medmenham and the Order of St. Francis of Wycombe, better known today as "The Hell-Fire Club." America's Benjamin Franklin was a member, or at least an Honored Guest there in 1760 or so. Thelema comes from the 17th Century comedy "Gargantua and Pantagruel." Sir Francis' mausoleum is six-sided, and of shape and dimension described in the first book where Rabelais writes of the Abbey of Thélème, built by the giant Gargantua. Their motto, inscribed in stone over the entry was "Fais ce que voudras..." or in English "Do what thou wilt." (which was written on the inner band of 1st editions of "Led Zeppelin III")

I have to agree with you about Crowley, Scylla; it just seems like he was a rich person with a lot of time on his hands and a need to feel important by creating his own religion...I myself am interested in exploring different belief systems, but for a belief system to have value I think it has to stand the test of time and it doesn't look to me that Thelema is going to make it...I can't make any sense of it from what I've read...I do have a theory about what might have attracted Page to Crowley: Thelema is basically an amalgam of a lot of different things, and Zeppelin's music is also syncretic, a blend of genres. Perhaps that's what made Thelema seem interesting to Page. I've also wondered about Page's childhood and being an only child--sometimes only children feel controlled by their parents (two against one) and Crowley's anything goes philosophy might have appealed to Page for that reason...in Tolinski's book, he asks Page a question to the effect of how could he preach a belief system that is only realistic for rich people whereas the ordinary person is simply not able to "do what they wilt," at least not without serious consequences. Page's response was that he wasn't proselytizing/trying to convert anyone else. I thought that was a fair response. I don't care what someone else believes even if I find the beliefs absurd, as long they don't try to shove it down my throat. It was the media that made a big deal about Page's interest in Crowley and they are still doing it today!

Crowley said it best..

“Every one interprets everything in terms of his own experience. If you say anything which does not touch a precisely similar spot in another man's brain, he either misunderstands you, or doesn't understand you at all.”

Defamation in print is called libel, not slander.

"Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page, for example, routinely took part in occult magical rituals and was so intrigued by Crowley he bought his former home, Boleskine House, on the shores of Loch Ness in Scotland."

What is libellous in this statement? Just a bunch of unsourced bullshit ("Jimmy Page, for example, routinely took part in occult magical rituals").

Geezer you are correct. Why do people make these threads with out using the technology society has provided?

A quick fact check on the word slander can be made using the any of dictionary apps on a smart phone. Slander is spoken. Libel is written. If the tabloids print slander they better cite it or else they'll be libelous.

Collectively known as defamation, libel and slander are civil wrongs that harm a reputation; decrease respect, regard, or confidence; or induce disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against an individual or entity. The injury to one's good name or reputation is affected through written or spoken words or visual images. The laws governing these torts are identical. Source --Legal -dictionary

This is all so old from hundreds of interviews,books etc I have read for maybe 35 years- I do not believe Page was ever "initiated" into any of the Crowley groups I think he took what worked for him from Thelema and left the killing goats alone... Crowley's basic belief about will is interesting but I don't really believe he was any kind of genius or prophet and once the chemicals got going seemed to have done some downright disturbing things. Of course we'll never know but this cult staus he is achieving now with skanks like Rihanna doesnt seem to resemble what he(Crowley) was really trying to say- when his mind was clear. Page is probably the only rock n roller who knows "Do what thou wilt" is not telling people to do whatever they want even if its murder etc. I still though do not see ANY good coming from Page's use of heroin in the past..I think it robbed him of years of life and "will". And..isnt all good sex "magic"?

Jimmy says in his Rolling Stone interview about his interestl:

It was blow out of all proportion. There was a balance to it. I wouldn't be here now if there hadn't been.

If Jimmy reads it all, he would probobly ignore it because he's too classy to get involved, but I think the Daily Mail would deserve it if he did sue them.

Unfortunately with Crowley it seems true adepts had to go both ways so... for some of us straighties it's not so appealing as it sounds....

They HAD to go both ways?. . . Is that perhaps what lies behind Jimmy's hanging-out-with-transsexuals phase...?

I dont believe all thelemites "go both ways" but it seems like Crowley is saying to really achieve the highest level or be truly a follower it is recommended to say the least. I am NOT saying Jimmy did any such thing nor do I care really..there are better informed people on this but it just deviates futrther from the band and the topic strays...my own opinion is Crowley's writings were from his own psyche and not any channeled entity...but whatever floats your boat , I guess. Maybe it is a positive force for some Unfortunately some dark figures have used Crowley as a model for nasty things which he may or may not really have promoted. I like "guitar player"..all that matters really...oops I did say "had to" b4..maybe too strong in my wording

I still though do not see ANY good coming from Page's use of heroin in the past..I think it robbed him of years of life and "will". And..isnt all good sex "magic"?

Agreed! I read somewhere tha Page only got into heroin so he could emulate his idol Crowely. But Crowley was a mountaineer and built like a brick shit house so he could handle it while Page looked like he would blow away in the wind! In the end it robbed him of his creativity, his drive, his looks and ultimately his career - a hell of a price to pay!

Agreed! I read somewhere tha Page only got into heroin so he could emulate his idol Crowely. But Crowley was a mountaineer and built like a brick shit house so he could handle it while Page looked like he would blow away in the wind! In the end it robbed him of his creativity, his drive, his looks and ultimately his career - a hell of a price to pay!

Crowley could not handle it very well at all, he died a junkie in a shitty flat, decrepit and old beyond his years. Nothing but a hollow shell of a man. Jimmy beat his addiction and came out the other side a better man, frail or not Jimmy was the stronger of the two by far.

Crowley could not handle it very well at all, he died a junkie in a shitty flat, decrepit and old beyond his years. Nothing but a hollow shell of a man. Jimmy beat his addiction and came out the other side a better man, frail or not Jimmy was the stronger of the two by far.

I wasn't comparing them! Just pointing out the fact Crowley was physically better equipped to dabble in smack. He died at age 72 in 1947 - not bad considering a lifetime of decadence. Page was insane to even touch it considering his history of past health issues. Yes he managed to quit and it's a miracle he is still alive but it was pretty touch and go around '83 - watch the RAH ARMS gig for proof!

That would have been rather dumb of him considering Crowley's later years but then smart people often do dumb things. I also wonder if heroin is responsible for Page's struggles from 1975 on. Yes, heroin is very bad for you physically but would it continue to affect your drive and creativity once you were clean? I'm wondering if cocaine and alcohol were the real culprits here. Props to Page for finally getting clean and sober and (far as I know) staying that way. That's a real achievement for anyone; even more so for someone who still had the money to keep paying for drugs.

Am I the only one of finds all the heroin talk to be unworthy of this forum? Mr. Page had a problem with the drug many years ago and he kicked it. End of discussion.

I think Page's drug use is a fair topic for this forum because it did impact his musical output during Led Zeppelin's later years and afterwards. The accepted wisdom (amongst Zep fans and rock music fans in general) is that Page's drug use was bad for Zep and Page's post-Zep career. Of course, we could all be wrong but no one has offered an alternative explanation that makes more sense. However, I'm relatively new here and don't want to ruffle feathers. If the forum consensus is that this is an unworthy topic, I'll abide by it.

I partially agree with all of the above Its true it was a private ordeal..he kicked and gets major props but it did affect the later years of zep and beyond...He made a comment that "drugs were an integral part of the music" I think it might have been qualified by but "Heroin is a hell of an addiction". I knew kids in the 70's that took an interst in heroin because of Crowley and Page...it didnt help them...one guy lives in the woods by the railroad tracks now and is homeless now...from HS Zep cover band to tragic waste...but yes I do believe artists have a right to privacy and Jimmy is still "the man" musically. I was climbing the walls just quitting smoking! I might add nice comment on religion by killing floor. Organized groups control, distort and corrupt..it doesn't negate the spiritual just warps it and turns people off...I remember going to church with my mother years ago and watching the people abuse each other to get out of the parking lot..."God bless u but i have to cut u off in traffic without signaling..."

Archived