2013 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES - ROBERT PLANT PRESENTS THE SENSATIONAL SPACE SHIFTERS

sam_webmaster

wow Strider,you must be the luckiest person ever,you and Robert should be best friends by now,I cannot even imagine,I just want to see him once

In a few hours, I will have to amend my list. Tonight's show in Houston will be my 17th Robert Plant "solo" concert...if you count the Led Zeppelin and Page/Plant shows, it will be my 37th time seeing him.

And I can tell you that I am just as excited seeing him tonight as I was back in 1972. He has never disappointed me in concert. There is just something about that man's voice that does something to me...it hits me in my emotional core. Even though it is not the same as it was in 1972, it is still powerful enough to take my breath away. If he does "Going to California" or "That's the Way" tonight, I guarantee there will be tears flowing.

I will try to get some good photos and post them for the Forum...I'm using my cellphone camera, so fingers crossed and all that. If you want a review, I might not be able to write one immediately...you might have to wait a day or two. But I'll try to post a setlist as promptly as I can.

LED ZEPPELIN:
6.25.72 LA Forum
6.27.72 Long Beach Arena
5.31.73 LA Forum
6.2.73 Kezar Stadium, SF
6.3.73 LA Forum
3.12.75 Long Beach Arena
3.24.75 LA Forum
3.25.75 LA Forum
3.27.75 LA Forum
6.21.77 LA Forum
6.23.77 LA Forum
6.25.77 LA Forum
6.26.77 LA Forum
6.27.77 LA Forum

JIMMY PAGE/ARMS CONCERTS:
9.20.83 Royal Albert Hall, London
9.21.83 Royal Albert Hall, London

JIMMY PAGE/THE FIRM:
12.3.84 Kongresshalle, Frankfurt.
12.8.84 Hammersmith Odeon, London
5.22.86 LA Forum

JIMMY PAGE/OUTRIDER:
10.7.88 LA Forum

JIMMY PAGE & BLACK CROWES:
10.18.99 Greek Theatre, LA
10.19.99 Greek Theatre, LA

JIMMY PAGE & ROBERT PLANT:
5.16.95 LA Forum
5.17.95 LA Forum
10.2.95 Irvine Meadows
10.3.95 Irvine Meadows
9.18.98 Irvine Meadows
9.19.98 Hollywood Bowl

ROBERT PLANT:
12.12.83 Hammersmith Odeon, London
12.13.83 Hammersmith Odeon, London
6.17.85 LA Forum
6.14.88 LA Forum
11.30.88 Universal Amphitheatre, LA
12.1.88 Universal Amphitheatre, LA
11.1.90 Universal Amphitheatre, LA
10.20.93 Universal Amphitheatre
9.12.02 Greek Theatre, LA
7.24.05 Greek Theatre, LA
10.1.05 Wiltern Theatre, LA
10.2.05 Wiltern Theatre, LA

ROBERT PLANT/ALISON KRAUSS
6.23.08 Greek Theatre, LA
6.24.08 Greek Theatre, LA

ROBERT PLANT/BAND OF JOY
4.23.11 Greek Theatre, LA
4.25.11 Santa Barbara Bowl, Santa Barbara, CA

JOHN PAUL JONES
w/ Diamanda Galas
12.4.94 Veteran's Wadsworth Theatre, Westwood, CA

Zooma Tour
10.29.99 House of Blues, Hollywood

Thunderthief Tour (opening for King Crimson)
11.15.01 Universal Amphitheatre, LA

Mutual Admiration Society
7.31.04 Roxy Theatre, Hollywood

Bonnaroo Music Festival
6.15-17.07 Manchester, TN

w/ Watkins Family Hour
6.20.07 Largo, Hollywood
2.7.08 Largo, Hollywood
3.5.09 Largo, Hollywood

Them Crooked Vultures
11.16.09 Roxy Theatre, Hollywood
11.17.09 Wiltern Theatre, LA

I bet you have beat all records for seeing him the most,you should try and talk to him

wow Strider,you must be the luckiest person ever,you and Robert should be best friends by now,I cannot even imagine,I just want to see him once

I bet you have beat all records for seeing him the most,you should try and talk to him

Naw, not even close. There's probably lots of people who have seen him 50 or more times. As for talking to him or knowing him, I just went to the shows...I never hung around afterwards trying to see the band come out or pass by in their limousines or tour buses. Plus, most of the times I saw him my seats weren't that close to the stage...I was lucky just to be in the building. I've met Robert in person exactly three times. Once at a record store and twice at the Bodhi Tree Bookshop.

That list trumps pretty much anyone...probably even family members! I hope you and TM have a GREAT time tonight!!! Will be thinking about you guys....:)

I'll tell TM you said hello. :wave:

Last night I was witness to an amazing concert by the One and Only Mr. Robert Plant. The Dallas Palladium was packed with Robert Plant and Led Zeppelin fans alike.

As much as I hoped and tried, I, unfortunately, did not get to the very front of the stage. However, I had a good side view and vantage point throughout the whole show. I was about 10 feet from the stage (right) and about 20 feet from Robert Plant, I saw the guitar roadie tune up and hand the guitarist his guitar after every number. The roadie was right in front of me, about 3 feet away.

Words really cannot describe the emotions and euphoria that I felt last night, Mixed emotions really, because I am still sad about the death of James Gandolfini. However, my grief to turned to happiness with the show that Robert Plant gave.

I can post the setlist if anyone wants me to. I am asking just in case some people who are going to future Robert Plant shows want to be surprised and not know what songs he plays. If somebody, anybody says Yes, I will.

I was quite disappointed to see he would be at Wolf Trap the week I'm in Boston. Then, I saw he'd be in Boston later that week. So after checking in daily at the LiveNation site and Stubhub, I was thinking that row Q, center would be the best I'd get (on SH and not too bad a markup). However, yesterday, LN released row N in the center - so I'm in the 13th row, 13th seat!! Not front row, but not too bad... :D

Can. Not. Wait!!!!!

I was quite disappointed to see he would be at Wolf Trap the week I'm in Boston. Then, I saw he'd be in Boston later that week. So after checking in daily at the LiveNation site and Stubhub, I was thinking that row Q, center would be the best I'd get (on SH and not too bad a markup). However, yesterday, LN released row N in the center - so I'm in the 13th row, 13th seat!! Not front row, but not too bad... :D

Can. Not. Wait!!!!!

Yay!!!!

I still love how he just comes up with things and his expressions and THAT voice is just that :peace:

Robert Plant "Going to California" Austin, Texas 06.23.13

Robert Plant "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" Austin, Texas 06.23.13

Robert Plant "Whole Lotta Love" Austin, Texas 06.23.13

^^thanks KBD3 for the videos

Edit to add WLL- Love how he did this and I cannot wait until July 19th :yay:

REALLY want to attend the July 27 show in Prospect Park, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy tickets due to Brooklyn's less-than-stellar reputation...Anybody from the NY area know if Prospect Park is in a safe part of Brooklyn?

Are you joking?

A Great article about Robert:-) Enjoy

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-robert-plant-20130625,0,3906906.story

Robert Plant: Ever forward, evermore The former Led Zeppelin frontman is not content to hang out on memory lane.

By Randy Lewis, Los Angeles Times

June 25, 2013, 5:00 a.m.

For a man whose voice launched thousands of would-be rock singers, former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant remains ingratiatingly humble.

"I'm not exactly a musical talent," said Plant, 64, recently from his home in England. "I'm a singer, and I have a lot of bright ideas," he joked.

Plant is far more comfortable moving forward with those new ideas than looking back at what the rest of the world sees as an incredible musical legacy in one of rock's most iconic bands.

PHOTOS: Concerts by The Times

Since Zeppelin disbanded in 1980, Plant's launched projects far beyond his blues-rock beginnings. Unlike many of his contemporaries who've either faded away or are still touring the same set lists they played in the Nixon era, Plant's never been content sticking with what he knows.

Over the past three decades the singer's experimented with everything from electronic trip hop to bluegrass and won critical acclaim — and a Grammy — along the way.

"This big wide world of music needs to be an adventure," explained Plant, who is already on to his next project.

The Sensational Space Shifters, Plant's latest trek into the unexpected, continues his exploration of soulful sounds from around the globe. The band weave a thread of West African music into those bluesy textures that have long fascinated Plant. It's all amplified by hypnotic beats and surreal production ala Massive Attack.

It's part of a rich musical journey that has seen Plant move from the rootsy British rock supergroup Honeydrippers to the sublime Strange Sensation to his Grammy-award winning "Raising Sand" with bluegrass/country's Alison Krauss to 2010's Band Of Joy with Americana music stalwart Buddy Miller.

PHOTOS: Iconic rock guitars and their owners

Somewhere in between, he managed to pull off a couple of Led Zeppelin reunion shows with his old mates guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones (the late John Bonham's son Jason played drums).

The performances generated rave reviews from fans and critics, but Plant opted out of a reunion tour, despite offers of a couple of hundred million dollars from promoters. He was more passionate about moving forward than celebrating his past, however stellar it once was.

"These journeys with all these guys leads me to other people," he said, "and that's the way it's worked out in the last 30 years."

With the Space Shifters, who play the Shrine Auditorium in L.A. on Wednesday, Plant is joined by new and old collaborators. The group includes Strange Sensation's John Baggott (the keyboardist-composer who's also been with Massive Attack and Portishead), guitarist-bendir player Justin Adams and Gambian griot singer-instrumentalist Juldeh Camara.

"I got this crazy, hair-brained idea of taking an African musician back to the Mississippi Delta," he said of working with Camara. "That pre-history of music has been inspiring me long before Led Zeppelin and long before now.

Long-cycling African polyrhythms can be heard throughout the Shifter's sound, but it's mixed with the deep, haunting grooves characterized by Plant's Band of Joy.

VIRTUAL TOUR: Hollywood's Walk of Fame

"In my adolescence I had this obsession for a musical consciousness I couldn't understand," he said. "It went back to the very beginnings of the way black America had started."

As for today, Plant recently discovered another culture — and music — to be inspired by.

It happened after he set up a second residence in Austin, Texas, so he could spend more time with a woman he'd become musically and romantically involved with, country singer and songwriter Patty Griffin. She was his vocal foil and partner in Band of Joy.

"I've found out a lot more about America since 'Raising Sand' and being on tour with Buddy," he said. "I can't stop reading about the intriguing indigenous people: the Comanches and the Apaches, and the stories of the European kids who were kidnapped and raised by them. It's just amazing. It gives me a whole new America.

"I still see adventure in all these places through the eyes of a child," he said. "I'm really wide eyed about it.

I'm trying to tiptoe lightly through it. I don't want to leave too much of a mark."

randy.lewis@latimes.com

Twitter: @RandyLewis2

That doesn't matter. Why shouldn't you go to the concert?

Well for some safety is a big concern and should always be considered. It is what is most important. It doesn't matter to you, since you're not going to this show. It doesn't matter who the artist is. Even more of a concern if going alone.

Prospect Park can be a bit of a pain to get to, especially outside of NYC and even within. I think it takes a couple of subway connections from Gran Central in Manhattan. Part of the reason I didn't get tickets for this and being an hour from Manhattan and have to work the next day. The other reason being I'm going to see Yes at the famous Capitol Theatre in Portchester, the night before. Got these before RP's tix became available. Will be cool as they'll be performing three of their classic albums in their entirety. Those are, Close To The Edge, The Yes Album and Going For The One. The latter is a very good album, but surprised, the band decided on that instead of Fragile. Still will be a great show. I know Howe, Squire and White will be there.

Archived