Which Concert?

Northstar

I was watching a show on the theory of travelling back in time and had an idea for a fun thread. Since most of us here have listened to quite a few boots from many different venues, tours and setlists, if you could go back in time to see any one Led Zep concert you wanted which concert one would it be and why? Only pick one concert though.

For myself I would pick September 4, 1970, Los Angeles Forum, I have listened to many many Zep concerts but this one just does it for me. Love the guitar tone, love the medlies the whole concert just rocks for me.

I would travel back in time to their show on September 7, 1968 in Gladsaxe, Denmark. After the show, I would trash the time machine and stalk them all the way through '80.

Ok fine, I will give a serious answer:

I will choose their show on April 24, 1969. My favorite concert of all time. As Long As I Have You kicks some serious ass (the bass cabinet blows out as well), as does Killing Floor.

I think that I would choose the June, 23, 1977 Led Zeppelin "For Badge-Holders Only" concert.

For two reasons:

This was the gig that Keith Moon played with Led Zeppelin

and

This concert was over 3 hours in duration.

I although I know and Love all the early concerts by Led Zeppelin that I have heard on bootlegs, I would rather see a LZ concert that is over 3 hours long compared to an early LZ gig that was less than or around about an hour.

To me 180 minutes of Led Zeppelin is better than 60 minutes of Led Zeppelin.

Plus, imagine the "after-party" that occurred when this 3+ hour concert ended. Chicks, Booze, Drugs and the Music. To me, that is the very definition of "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll".

Easy peasy. June 25th 1972 LA Forum. From the bombastic Immigrant Song to the acoustic set to the rock and roll of Whole Lotta Love. Chuck in Thank You, Communication Breakdown and Bring It On Home, for me the complete concert. Clocking in at 190 minutes, it is the ultimate in Led Zeppelin live

I love earls Court too!

Earls Court 75' would do it for me, whatever date Robert's voice was the best of the five! Barring that, I would like to relive my April 10th 1977 Chicago Stadium concert. I still believe that was one of the best performances of the tour.

Now I would love to be one of those chicks!

I think that I would choose the June, 23, 1977 Led Zeppelin "For Badge-Holders Only" concert.

For two reasons:

This was the gig that Keith Moon played with Led Zeppelin

and

This concert was over 3 hours in duration.

I although I know and Love all the early concerts by Led Zeppelin that I have heard on bootlegs, I would rather see a LZ concert that is over 3 hours long compared to an early LZ gig that was less than or around about an hour.

To me 180 minutes of Led Zeppelin is better than 60 minutes of Led Zeppelin.

Plus, imagine the "after-party" that occurred when this 3+ hour concert ended. Chicks, Booze, Drugs and the Music. To me, that is the very definition of "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll".

Here is my choice. Above all, I would pick the O2 Concert. On one level it pains me to not pick a concert with Bonzo, as Bonzo is a magical part of Led Zeppelin and a huge reason why they are my favorite band. However, as great as any of the concerts they performed together, I don't believe any single one of their shows held the historical significance of the O2 show. To have 27 years of unfulfilled emptiness and anticipation finally corrected with the flash of white lights and the first power chords of Good Times, Bad Times.. I can't even imagine the emotions and reactions I would have experienced in person. I recall being here in the U.S., and reading a live feed that updated the set list song by song as the concert went on. I would have given anything to even stand outside and hear the muffled sound. So, although not a true Led Zeppelin concert.. I think I would trade almost anything I have in life to have been able to be at that show.

If I were to pick a single show featuring the full band, despite its relative brevity, I have yet to hear a performance that tops RAH in my mind. Although very early in the catalog, that is the band performing at its rawest and most intense. I'm sure most of the shows of that era offered similar greatness... but that is my pick for a concert including the full band.

Yes, I have mostly heard "official releases" and so far, any requests to learn where I can augment my collection of "non-official releases" have gone ignored so I don't know what else to compare it to. For the ones that I do have and have heard, the sound quality has been so mediocre I really can't compare it on any level. I say that knowing that each "official live release" has a certain amount of Jimmy-magic in the final mix. I'd love to be enlightened further.. but to date, that is the best I have encountered.

Either 1972.06.25 or 1977.06.23. Best concerts ever.

Wow, really?

Archived