How many tours did Led Zeppelin sell out?

Geezer

Yeah, I guess that from 1972 onwards every tour sold out, even the Over Europe in 1980. And I heard the only reason the 1972 tour in America didn't sell out was because it was overshadowed by The Stones's STP tour (wich is one of the best rock n roll tours in history, in my book) from the same year. But them not selling out didn't mean that they had small audiences: in 1972 they played the same venues that they play in later years, and it was like 90% full.

Due in no small part to the relative brevity of Zeppelin's tour: Nineteen dates as compared with, what, fifty?

Rolling Stones 1972 North American Tour: 48 shows in 32 cities from June 3 to July 26, 1972.

Led Zeppelin 1972 North American Tour: 18 shows in 16 cities from June 6 to June 28, 1972.

There was definitely no question the Stones tour caused more pandemonium and press hysteria and fan violence. It was crazy. And while there were still tickets available at the box office for Led Zeppelin's LA Forum show the week of the gig, by showtime, the Forum looked plenty packed to me. I think Led Zeppelin still sold out most, if not all of their 1972 dates.

What happened was that there was so much buzz on the Stones tour, and hassles getting tickets, that fans put their initial energies and finances into getting Stones tickets. Once those were secured, they could wait until the Zeppelin concert got nearer before worrying about getting tix. So, while the Zeppelin shows might not have sold out in advance as quickly as the Stones dates did, in the end, they still ended up selling pretty well, and if I'm not mistaken, might have sold more seats than the Stones in some cities.

What was always puzzling to me was why the band chose such a lackadaisical schedule. This would be the first proper tour of North America, their biggest market, since the release of their blockbuster fourth album. If you recall, their 1971 US tour ended long before Led Zeppelin IV was released. This should have been a massive summer long swing to take advantage of the growing popularity of the band thanks to the loads and loads of Led Zeppelin IV albums being sold every week. Instead, they play a puny 16 city tour, which doesn't even last a full 30 days. In retrospect, there never really was a proper Led Zeppelin IV tour.

Archived