Page's speaker cabs for the 1977 tour

JesseNoah

I am wondering, if Page spray painted his cabs, bought new ones, the color of the cloth has changed from the cabs from grey to black

he used grey clothed cabs from 69-75

1974_08SheppertonFilmStudios.jpg

this is from Oakland 77, and most of the pictures I have seen from the 77 tour look like the same black colored cabs

ledzeppelinoakland1977di2.jpg

The Song Remains the Same

Anyone know WHY?

I noticed that earlier this year. Even by 1972, the Marshall 1982 cabinets were looking RAGGED. By the 1973 US Tour, they were deplorable. It appears as if by 1975, he got new Marshall 1982 cabinets. You can see the 100 logo in the upper-left corner in pics from 1975. The grill cloth color changed too, from a salt-and-pepper to the standard black.

Another thing to consider too is that the fabric on those speaker cab is thick and the weave is 3-dimensional. The weave might very well change hue just by the angle the light strikes it. Same goes for the camera position: you might not get the same hue looking front center and looking sideways.

Edited by hecube

I have wondered for a long time, but never got around to posting it, I know it isnt a glance of camera angle or lighting, his cabs went from definitely grey to definitely black! But the Marshall "100" logo remained on his zoso logo'd cab

I just love how intimidating the gear looked in 77, the Black cabs (to match his gestapo boots?) the big old alembic bass, the black mellotron, like they took some inspiration from Darth Vader or something :bubble:

I just love how intimidating the gear looked in 77, the Black cabs (to match his gestapo boots?) the big old alembic bass, the black mellotron, like they took some inspiration from Darth Vader or something :bubble:

I agree completely!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record, Jimmy only wore the black flight boots a few times on stage, and the Zeppelin 1977 stage setup was finalized by the beginning of 1977(remember the tour was supposed to start in February '77), while Star Wars didn't premiere until May 25, 1977.

Edited by Strider

The Oakland '77 pic cited in the first post just reminded me: did they add more amps/speakers onstage for the big stadium gigs in '77 or did they use the same amp setup for both the indoor arena and outdoor stadium gigs? I imagine that they had different PA setups for both the indoor and outdoor gigs. Listening to the Pontiac Silverdome show the other day got me wondering if the big indoor arenas like the Silverdome or the Kingdome got the outdoor PA treatment? I can't see them using the same setup at, say, the LA Forum that they used for the Silverdome, it wouldn't have been big enough...

• 2 weeks later...

Marshall SLP-1959 Super Lead

The amp is a 100 watts, with two channels, and four inputs. Jimmy used it first on stage in March of 1969. The KT66′s were changed in 1975 with KT88′s in order to increase the headroom and output of the amp. Jimmy also had it rewired to 200 watts.

On the 77' tour he used Marshall 4 x 12 straight and angled cabinets.

The Oakland '77 pic cited in the first post just reminded me: did they add more amps/speakers onstage for the big stadium gigs in '77 or did they use the same amp setup for both the indoor arena and outdoor stadium gigs? I imagine that they had different PA setups for both the indoor and outdoor gigs. Listening to the Pontiac Silverdome show the other day got me wondering if the big indoor arenas like the Silverdome or the Kingdome got the outdoor PA treatment? I can't see them using the same setup at, say, the LA Forum that they used for the Silverdome, it wouldn't have been big enough...

The on-stage amp setup was the same for all the 1977 shows but the PA system was definitely bigger for the big dome(Pontiac, Seattle) and outdoor stadium(Tampa, Oakland) concerts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Marshall SLP-1959 Super Lead

The amp is a 100 watts, with two channels, and four inputs. Jimmy used it first on stage in March of 1969. The KT66′s were changed in 1975 with KT88′s in order to increase the headroom and output of the amp. Jimmy also had it rewired to 200 watts.

On the 77' tour he used Marshall 4 x 12 straight and angled cabinets.

Thanks. Any thoughts on what he used at Knebworth?

• 2 years later...

Hi all: the picture on the very top is from 1973. The band was not happy with some of the concert footage from the final Madison Sq Garden nights in 7/1973 from TSRTS. The band, returning home, decided to "stage prop" some footage to the soundtrack make it look better. Note the staff milling around, Page not really doing much. They are likely preparing to shoot another scene in this pic. 

• 2 years later...