2013 NFL Thread

Strider

Now that the 2013 season schedule is out, free agency is in full swing, and the draft looms this evening, it is time for a 2013 NFL thread. Especially since the 2013 season officially began weeks ago.

Time to forget last year and start pondering our teams prospects for this year. Thanks to their recent stupefying moves, the Oakland Raiders and New York Jets have shattered the old record for the earliest date of being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. The previous record was 'Draft Day', shared by multiple teams who eliminated themselves on that day thru idiotic picks: Cincinnati drafting Akili Smith, San Diego drafting Ryan Leaf, Cleveland drafting Tim Couch, Oakland drafting...well, practically every draft they've had for the past 10 years.

But now, given recent developments, the Jets and Raiders have eliminated themselves weeks before the draft...thus saving their fans any need to spend ponderous hours watching the draft.

Leaving the immature freakshow behind and getting back to planet Earth and the grown-up table of the NFL, what does the draft portend for your team and the season as a whole? Who will move up...or move down? What will Kansas City do? Are they any quarterbacks in this draft that you can see being an NFL starter? Geno Smith? Matt Barkley? I'm not so sure about them.

Will Dallas again be overrated by the pundits and overexposed by the TV networks? Which quarterback will start showing signs of slippage and old age first: Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady?

Can Seattle and San Francisco keep it up? Can Green Bay regroup and regain their Super Bowl-winning form?

Will Baltimore be a one-and-done team following their cost-cutting moves? Are the Roethlisburger-Palomalu era Steelers finished as we knew them? Will Buffalo ever find a quarterback? Will Kansas City ever be relevant again? When will the League come to its senses and just eliminate Jacksonville and Carolina from the NFL?

Will ESPN's Skip Bayless ever stop talking about Tim Tebow?

Discuss...

I don't know how much attention I'm going to pay to the draft tonight, what with the NBA playoffs and baseball going on, but looking at Miami's 2013 schedule, it looks to be another brutal year for the Fins. Colts, Falcons, Saints, Ravens, Bengals, Steelers and you have to think the Bucs and Panthers are going to be improved plus 2 games vs. the Patriots, mercy. Tom Brady and company are going to own the AFC East again. smiley-sad006.gif

Imo, there's no slippage in Tom Brady's game yet, although I feel the AFC is as wide open this year as it was last. Denver, Houston, Baltimore, Indianapolis and I have to think Pittsburgh is going to bounce back after an average year and missing the playoffs. I believe in Big Ben and the Steel Curtain. But overall, Denver is my pick to make it to the Super Bowl.

As for the NFC, I think Green Bay has a shot if they can fix that defense, but the 49ers will be heard from.

Good observations all, Paul. As for your Fins, at least you won't be cellar dwellers like the Jets and the Bills. If last year wasn't a fluke and Reggie Bush is truly back, and Miami's coaches can scheme properly, I think you can give New England some competition for the Division title.

I'm also interested in seeing how SF's Colin Kapernick and Seattle's Russell Wilson do this year. Now that the NFL has a book on them and defensive coaches can develop schemes for them, will they be as effective in their second season?

Now that the 2013 season schedule is out, free agency is in full swing, and the draft looms this evening, it is time for a 2013 NFL thread. Especially since the 2013 season officially began weeks ago.

Time to forget last year and start pondering our teams prospects for this year. Thanks to their recent stupefying moves, the Oakland Raiders and New York Jets have shattered the old record for the earliest date of being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. The previous record was 'Draft Day', shared by multiple teams who eliminated themselves on that day thru idiotic picks: Cincinnati drafting Akili Smith, San Diego drafting Ryan Leaf, Cleveland drafting Tim Couch, Oakland drafting...well, practically every draft they've had for the past 10 years.

But now, given recent developments, the Jets and Raiders have eliminated themselves weeks before the draft...thus saving their fans any need to spend ponderous hours watching the draft.

Leaving the immature freakshow behind and getting back to planet Earth and the grown-up table of the NFL, what does the draft portend for your team and the season as a whole? Who will move up...or move down? What will Kansas City do? Are they any quarterbacks in this draft that you can see being an NFL starter? Geno Smith? Matt Barkley? I'm not so sure about them.

Will Dallas again be overrated by the pundits and overexposed by the TV networks? Which quarterback will start showing signs of slippage and old age first: Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady?

Can Seattle and San Francisco keep it up? Can Green Bay regroup and regain their Super Bowl-winning form?

Will Baltimore be a one-and-done team following their cost-cutting moves? Are the Roethlisburger-Palomalu era Steelers finished as we knew them? Will Buffalo ever find a quarterback? Will Kansas City ever be relevant again? When will the League come to its senses and just eliminate Jacksonville and Carolina from the NFL?

Will ESPN's Skip Bayless ever stop talking about Tim Tebow?

Discuss...

Good stuff, Sean!

As far as your Dallas questions....the answers are YES and YES! They have done nothing to improve and now are trying to switch to a 4-3 defense with 3-4 linebackers! Plus no quality or depth on the o-line and running back positions. I predict between a 6-10 and 8-8 season - AGAIN!

As far as your statement about Reggie Bush, remember he went to Detroit - right, Paul? I'm sure Rick will have delusions about his Bills, but New England could very well end up 13-3 in the AFC East this year based on the talent level in that division this year.

I don't believe the Ravens are going to go far this year, even possibly not make the playoffs. The AFC North very well could be Cincinnati's to lose. You gotta believe that Tomlin will turn that Steeler team back into a playoff contender, but they have lost a lot and Big Ben seems to be getting more and more injury prone.

AFC South should be in the hands of the Texans again, will they falter in the playoffs again as well?

AFC West, I agree with Paul - the Broncos are the team to beat to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl this season, barring an injury to Manning.

NFC East. Hmmmm, the Giants are gonna bounce back. Best talent on both sides of the ball and a still underrated coach, IMO. Redskins haven't been able to add much to the team through free agency and they don't have a 1st round pick this year - with that said, they got their new star running back in what the 7th round last year?

NFC North could really be a dog fight this year. The Bears are in transition with their coaching changes, the Pack are obviously loaded with arguably the best QB in football, the Lions look good on paper but can they keep it together? The Vikings are again the team to watch there, they just play very well together and of course AP is hard to bet against.

The Buc's are going to make the NFC South much more interesting with their new group of CB's, against the high-flying Falcons and Saints. Remember, Sean Payton will also be back this season for the Saints.

NFC West is the Niners to lose, but the Rams are really coming along and I like Coach Fisher a lot! The Seahawks have added some explosive talent, but will Wilson continue to play at the level he did at the end of last season? Is he gonna be able to take the hits a running QB has to take?

This year's draft has to be the most uncertain ever. No clear cut hierarchy as in the past and not as much top-tier talent either.

Picking today, I'll have to go with a San Francisco/Denver Super Bowl.

I expected a bit more discussion on the draft tonight.

Anyway, Bill Polian who took my Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls says we should trade down to lets say 11, let San Diego have our 8 and get more picks? I say we grab Warmack, then we have one of the best offensive lines if not the best, give the ball to Spiller 25 times a game. Hope that Kolb plays decent and that Nassib is still on the board in round 2. I think he will be. If not, so be it. I would not pass on Womack.

Thoughts?

^^^

Jiminy Cricket! Walter, I forgot all about that Reggie Bush to Detroit deal...and I was one of the ones predicting he would go to the Lions. All this basketball and hockey and baseball has erased my football memory, haha!

Sorry Paul, scratch what I said earlier about Miami contending with the Patriots...the AFC East is New England's to lose.

Detroit may not win a Super Bowl...but they got the cover of Madden 25! Barry Sanders won the voting for the cover. Finally some good news for the Motor City.

^^^

Jiminy Cricket! Walter, I forgot all about that Reggie Bush to Detroit deal...and I was one of the ones predicting he would go to the Lions. All this basketball and hockey and baseball has erased my football memory, haha!

Sorry Paul, scratch what I said earlier about Miami contending with the Patriots...the AFC East is New England's to lose.

Detroit may not win a Super Bowl...but they got the cover of Madden 25! Barry Sanders won the voting for the cover. Finally some good news for the Motor City.

What stupid ass move will the Raiders make tonight? What stupid ass move will the Bills and Miami make?

ATTENTION. DRAFT TONIGHT

^^^

Watch out Barry! I hope he doesn't get hit by a car crossing the street or anything!

Rick, I don't have much to say about the draft tonight. It will be very unpredictable, that's all I can say. I think your Bills' plan is a good one. Go down and get a solid o-lineman, along with more picks. If they can protect Kolb, I think he'll do alright with you guys. Nassib will not be around in the 2nd round, IMO. But a solid lineman for the next 10 years is always a good move.

Watch out Barry! I hope he doesn't get hit by a car crossing the street or anything!

Rick, I don't have much to say about the draft tonight. It will be very unpredictable, that's all I can say. I think your Bills' plan is a good one. Go down and get a solid o-lineman, along with more picks. If they can protect Kolb, I think he'll do alright with you guys. Nassib will not be around in the 2nd round, IMO. But a solid lineman for the next 10 years is always a good move.

They could very well take Nassib then expecially with the influence of their new coach from SU. I hope they take Womack. Its the smart move. Unless they can trade to 11, and still get him? Maybe they should roll the dice and give San Diego number 8 for the extra pick?

What stupid ass move will the Raiders make tonight? What stupid ass move will the Bills and Miami make?

ATTENTION. DRAFT TONIGHT

Are you kidding? The Raiders are already toast...it doesn't matter what they do in the draft tonight and this weekend.

The only draft I care about comes in a pint glass and has a nice head of foam.

I'm not a draft expert but I have to think upgrades on the offense is where Miami should be focusing. We got a big hole at running back to fill & I'd still like to see some more weapons on the receiving side of the ball. Signing Wallace was nice but Tannehill is going to need more than one receiver to throw to.

Are you kidding? The Raiders are already toast...it doesn't matter what they do in the draft tonight and this weekend.

The only draft I care about comes in a pint glass and has a nice head of foam.

At least your Raiders had the sense to dump Rolando McClain.

Back in his hometown he was busted again for a "fuck the police," comment, or something like that during a public disturbance at a local park. Class act from Alabama.

I'm sorry the Raiders wasted good money on him Strider.

Yahoo the 2013 NFL thread is here how fitting to launch it on the beginning of the draft..Thanks Strider! Well the 49ers have 13 picks so look for them to trade up as they go. Who will The Chiefs take with the first pick,they are all hush hush about it. Where will Manti Te'o land and how far down will he slide? Buffalo needs a QB who will they pick? so many questions but over the next 3 day we will get answers. It should be an interesting draft with lots of surprises Hoping the Patriots do well in the draft some past picks haven't panned out so well. LET THE DRAFTING BEGIN

_Mcitrus.com.jpg

12593165-mmmain.jpg
Texas A&M offensive tackle Luke Joeckel headlines a trio of offensive tackles likely to be top-10 picks in the 2013 NFL draft. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy, file)

THEMES TO WATCH:

Trades: Offensive tackles could drive the trade machine, with three players expected to land in the top 10. The Oakland Raiders, Arizona Cardinals, San Diego Chargers, New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys and Atlanta Falcons are among the candidates to move from their current positions.

Offensive tackles: Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher are widely regarded as the two best players in the draft. Oklahoma's Lane Johnson is rising fast, possibly into the top five. Alabama's D.J. Fluker and Florida State's Menelik Watson are also first-round candidates.

Pass rushers: Four elite pass rushers could also impact the trade market. BYU's Ziggy Ansah, Oregon's Dion Jordan, LSU's Barkevious Mingo and Georgia's Jarvis Jones are all expected to go in the first 15 picks. Teams in need could jockey for position.

Quarterbacks: West Virginia's Geno Smith headlines a mediocre class of quarterbacks. If a team like the Buffalo Bills doesn't overpay for a signal caller in the top 10, Smith and others might not hear their names called until late in the first round. Or later.

FIRST-ROUND DRAFT ORDER

1. Kansas City Chiefs
2. Jacksonville Jaguars
3. Oakland Raiders
4. Philadelphia Eagles
5. Detroit Lions
6. Cleveland Browns
7. Arizona Cardinals
8. Buffalo Bills
9. New York Jets
10. Tennessee Titans
11. San Diego Chargers
12. Miami Dolphins
13. New York Jets (from Tampa Bay)
14. Carolina Panthers
15. New Orleans Saints
16. St. Louis Rams
17. Pittsburgh Steelers
18. Dallas Cowboys
19. New York Giants
20. Chicago Bears
21. Cincinnati Bengals
22. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)
23. Minnesota Vikings
24. Indianapolis Colts
25. Minnesota Vikings
26. Green Bay Packers
27. Houston Texans
28. Denver Broncos
29. New England Patriots
30. Atlanta Falcons
31. San Francisco 49ers
32. Baltimore Ravens

At least your Raiders had the sense to dump Rolando McClain.

Back in his hometown he was busted again for a "fuck the police," comment, or something like that during a public disturbance at a local park. Class act from Alabama.

I'm sorry the Raiders wasted good money on him Strider.

My recall may not be 100% and I don't have the figures at hand but I believe the Raiders have purged the roster of damn near every first-round pick Al Davis made in the last 10 years...Michael Huff, Rolando McClain, Jamarcus Russell, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and on and on. Ten years of wasted draft picks, especially first-rounders, will cripple a franchise for a generation.

The NFL has evolved in to a passing offense and and so the draft picks reflect that. Teams are adjusting to it rebuilding their defense where they need to. "Defense wins championships" Jacksonville takes OL Luke Joeckel

and according to Mel Kiper Jr

"Has the ability to swallow up all kinds of pass rushers"

Does anyone know what just happened? Buffalo trades their number 8 to St Louis for their 16 and obviously more picks. The Rams grab the guy the Jets wanted so badly, Austin and I can hear the Jets fans cursing from here. But then we shock everyone and take this QB from Florida ST? Does anyone know anything about him? Prisco from sportsline says we blew it and gives us an F. But Judge writes an entire Blog on how great a job Buffalo did becasue they got more picks, kept a player out of their division that could have really made trouble for them (I agree strongly with this), and says they got the guy they wanted. They obviously were very secretive and they fooled everyone. But did they fool themselves? What do they see in this guy? Maybe he did not have alot of talent around him? It is going to be interesting.

^^ Hope Green Bay has some stratch left over to get some defensive players, because without that they won't make the Super Bowl as I predicted even with the bad man Rodgers at QB.

true look what happened in Baltimore there not even half the team they used to be..How do you like Miamis picks Paul?

How do you like Miamis picks Paul?

From what I can see, so far they've drafted on the defensive side even though offense is where they have to fill their biggest holes imo. According to NFL.com they have 2 picks coming up in the 3rd round, will be interesting to see what they do.

Archived