2013 NFL Thread

Strider

Well, when you score a total of 7 points in 2 weeks vs. the Bills and Jets, you might be offensively challenged. I expected somebody's head would roll & if not the head coach then the O coordinator is the next best thing.Q

I like the nucleus of the team we have right now. The only concern is the QB as I believe they will draft a run stopper and our D should be excellent next year. I would rather be in our shoes than the Jets or Dolphins.

Bad news for New England: Patriot Brandon Spikes is out for the playoffs!

Meanwhile, the Colts just added ex-Patriot WR Deion Branch to their roster. http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10252482

Paul, looks like your Dolphins have made OC Mike Sherman the fall guy. http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10251607

Patriots defense has been a mess all season. Hell, the offense has been a mess too with injuries and Hernandez in jail. I think they overcome Saturday, but I can't see them beating Denver, it really looks like Payton's year.

The addition of Branch doesn't worry me.

I thought the Dolphins needed one more year (like the Bills). Both should be markedly better next year. But in the NFL, you don't get to hang onto your job too long if things go poorly. Unless you work for Dallas or the Jets.

Patriots defense has been a mess all season. Hell, the offense has been a mess too with injuries and Hernandez in jail. I think they overcome Saturday, but I can't see them beating Denver, it really looks like Payton's year.

The addition of Branch doesn't worry me.

I thought the Dolphins needed one more year (like the Bills). Both should be markedly better next year. But in the NFL, you don't get to hang onto your job too long if things go poorly. Unless you work for Dallas or the Jets.

That is what I want to hear. And I agree. Not sure about Miami, but I believe the Bills will be good, as long as they can get decent play from the QB position. I wonder what will become of Eli Manning in NY? And a few other QB's that are on the ropes. Some will be in new cities I suspect.

As for the New England/Indy game, it could be another 45-44 game. Everything points that way. A shootout. Does anyone think San Diego will put up a fight and cover the 10 pt spot? Or is it a blowout? I just cannot see Denver losing the game. Even if they win ugly. The New England game seems to be the biggest toss up but the oddsmakers do not agree. They have SF and Carolina as the closest game spread wise

NE runs the risk of what they did a few years ago in the playoffs against the then Payton-Colts. NE built a 21-3 half time lead, Indy looked hopeless.

NE came out for the second half and was on vacation. And Payton rolled them...and the Colts won the game.

NE needs to realize they have a real patchwork team, full of unknowns and people that still struggle to be where they are supposed to be during a play. We'll see if they pull one out!

Bills should be better next year, their fans need to get to those games and make some serious noise. When Jim Kelley ran the Bills, that stadium was LOUD....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10261554/dennis-allen-remains-oakland-raiders-coach

And what seems to happen every year this time of year, the NFL is having talks about expanding the current playoff system, which may be the only way the Cowboys could actually get in (sorry Walter).

I've said this before & I'll say it again: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why muck up a perfectly good system & water down the playoffs with undeserving teams that don't belong there. Does the NFL really want to turn into the NBA or the NHL where half the damn teams in the league make the playoffs!

I'll climb down off of my soapbox now....

NE runs the risk of what they did a few years ago in the playoffs against the then Payton-Colts. NE built a 21-3 half time lead, Indy looked hopeless.

NE came out for the second half and was on vacation. And Payton rolled them...and the Colts won the game.

NE needs to realize they have a real patchwork team, full of unknowns and people that still struggle to be where they are supposed to be during a play. We'll see if they pull one out!

Bills should be better next year, their fans need to get to those games and make some serious noise. When Jim Kelley ran the Bills, that stadium was LOUD....

It may all lay on Manuel. But they could trade down and go after that QB, even though their are 6 touted to go in the top 10. If they go linebacker, so be it. Manuel must be good at least. He does not have to be great but good. I expect the defense to be very good.

So Strider, you think NE is going to beat Indy? Its interesting that San Diego has dropped to plus 8 1/2. I think its Seattle's year myself

Could San Diego be Peyton Manning's Jacksonville? I remember all too well that day when the Bills had a chance to go to a record 5 straight Super Bowls. They indeed made the playoffs that year. They were coasting along and all of a sudden a young Jacksonville team pulled out a victory at the end and that marked the end of Kelly's career and the Bill's run. Lets imagine that San Diego finds a way to win this game. Would it be Peyton's last? I would tend to think so as the expectations are so high. I do not know if he could bounce back from such a loss? I still remember Jim Kelly limping into the locker room, one of the saddest moments to me in sports. If this happened to Peyton of course he still can walk away with more satisfaction than Jim did. But Jim was a hell of a player

So, In The Evening thinks Peyton Manning is easily one of the top 3 players in NFL history - obviously Manning's statistics support that claim and can be used as factual information. My question back was, where would that leave Tom Brady in the discussion? They are in the same era, have played each other a number of times - if Brady would be ahead of Manning, then there are two of the top three of all-time right there.

So, who would be your top 5 all-time NFL players?

My #1 qb of all-time would have to be Joe Montana. He could lead a team to water in the desert.

My top 5 players, that's more difficult. Join the conversation, if you will. I am going to ponder who I think would be in my top 5....:Thinking:

Even the New England "homers" on sports shows vote Montana above both Manning and Brady (imagine?). I hope both QBs have several more years of quality playing to make the conversation even more interesting than it already is.

Archived