2013 NFL Thread

Strider

I cannot participate in this particular conversation of "best ever" because I would only be going by stats and hearsay, I haven't been following NFL for that many years.

I think it's difficult to make these lists because the game has changed so much. Size, speed, equipment, PEDs, salaries, league and game rules...I could go on and on. Hard to compare players from different eras.

I cannot participate in this particular conversation of "best ever" because I would only be going by stats and hearsay, I haven't been following NFL for that many years.

I think it's difficult to make these lists because the game has changed so much. Size, speed, equipment, PEDs, salaries, league and game rules...I could go on and on. Hard to compare players from different eras.

Well,kid,everyone listed is in the HOF or will be,... :yesnod:

That sums it up very well. It is difficult to compare players from different era's. But if you ask me, I will give an example, the Steeler teams of the 70's would murder the team that beat Seattle in the Super Bowl under Cower. I do not care what there height and weight was. I saw them all play. No contest. And Kapernick is no Joe Montana either. Jim Brown would have been dynamic in any era. And so on

I often wonder how high on the all-time greats list someone like Bo Jackson would have been had his career not been cut short by injury. Another guy who's career was cut short, Terrell Davis who I believe is up for Hall of Fame nomination this year. A real good player, but not Hall of Fame worthy imo (did not play long enough)....

So, In The Evening thinks Peyton Manning is easily one of the top 3 players in NFL history - obviously Manning's statistics support that claim and can be used as factual information. My question back was, where would that leave Tom Brady in the discussion? They are in the same era, have played each other a number of times - if Brady would be ahead of Manning, then there are two of the top three of all-time right there.

So.

{text chopped}

.:Thinking:

I think if we are talking just QBs, and I have only watched since the 80s or so, you would have Montana, Marino, Brady, Peyton in no real particular order. Elway could light it up when needed as well.

Yes, Elway was probably the 2nd best for me - only behind Montana.

Yes, Rick, it is hard to compare different eras but it's still fun! All just conjecture anyway...

Now you have done it. Elway second to Montana? No way. I can name many better than Elway. Brady is better than Elway. Peyton is better than Elway. Unitas was better than Elway. Norm Van Brocklin was as good as Elway as was Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Namath, Baugh and well I could keep going.

Lets throw in Bart Starr and Darrryl Lamonica and Dan Marino and Kelly. Yes, how about Dan Marino?

Again, it's all conjecture. Elway singled handedly took his team to Super Bowls without much talent around him, won two when he finally had talent, and made Shannahan look like a genius - which may have been the most difficult feat of them all! Brady and Manning have had Pro Bowlers all around them and Marino could never carry a team when their back was against the wall in the playoffs. He was the greatest regular season qb of all time, for sure!

Differences in training regimens, equipment, rules and playing strategy...it's very hard to compare players of different eras. Hell, many linebackers and linemen of the 50s and 60s would look puny next to the players of today. Overall team speed has vastly improved, too.

Anyway, here are my top 10 NFL players that I have seen in my lifetime...sorry Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Dick Butkis and the other old-timers.

1. Quarterback: Joe Montana

2. Running Back: Marcus Allen

3. Receiver: Jerry Rice

4. TE: Kellen Winslow

5. O-Line:

Center: Jim Otto

Guard: John Hannah

Tackle: (tie) Art Shell, Anthony Munoz

6. D-line: Mean Joe Greene

7. Linebacker: Jack Lambert

8. Secondary: Ronnie Lott

9. Punter: Ray Guy

10. Kicker: Adam Vinatiari

Again, it's all conjecture. Elway singled handedly took his team to Super Bowls without much talent around him, won two when he finally had talent, and made Shannahan look like a genius - which may have been the most difficult feat of them all! Brady and Manning have had Pro Bowlers all around them and Marino could never carry a team when their back was against the wall in the playoffs. He was the greatest regular season qb of all time, for sure!

Debatable. Johnny Unitas must be included in any talk of best ever QB's. Jim Kelly took his team to what should have been a Super Bowl winning drive by sliding in at the 37 and we know what happened. Wide right. Not Kelly's fault

And Strider, Marcus Allen over Jim Brown or even OJ is laughable

After throwing just nine picks all season, Andrew Luck's four interceptions were the difference in a 43-22 loss for the Indianapolis Colts against the New England Patriots on Saturday night.

"I can't commit that many turnovers and have a chance to win against a good team like this," Luck said after dropping the divisional-round playoff game. "I'm proud to be a part of this team. Guys never quit; guys never stop fighting. We had our chances and we just couldn't get over that hump. The Patriots deserved to win."

Class act.

I loved watching the Patriots blitzkrieg the Colts the other day. They were probably prepared for a typical Tom Brady aerial assault and instead Blount just went beast mode and pounded them up the middle over and over again. Tom Brady had a really good performance too considering the circumstances. He played it smart by not trying to do too much, unlike Luck (ton of yardage and some TD throws, but also threw FOUR picks).

And Strider, Marcus Allen over Jim Brown or even OJ is laughable

As usual, you missed the fine print. I said I was only considering players I had seen play in my lifetime...Jim Brown retired before I started watching football in 1968. Obviously, he is one of the all-time greats and numbers-wise, probably the best running back ever.

OJ had some memorable seasons, including being the first to rush for 2,000 yards in 1973. I remember well the Juice and the Electric Company. But Marcus Allen was more durable, excelled at more tasks (he was a good blocker and receiver in addition to being a running back...and he could throw, too!), and scored more and fumbled less than OJ.

Marcus Allen scored a touchdown once every 25 times he touched the ball and fumbled once every 55 times. OJ scored once in 35 touches and fumbled once in 42. Marcus was a multiple threat coming out of the backfield...he was the precurser to Marshall Faulk...and he had deceptive speed. Just ask the Denver Broncos or Washington Redskins. He could go inside or outside and he was money at the goal line. Not even Sam "Bam" Cunningham went over the top at the goal line like Marcus Allen.

Incredibly, he racked up all these numbers while being in Al Davis' doghouse for SIX seasons. His numbers would be astronomical if the Raiders hadn't spent six years trying to break his spirit. He was still an effective RB in his last years with Kansas City, unlike OJ, who was used and spent after 1976.

And, Marcus Allen didn't kill anybody.

I love Jim Brown, being 'cuse fan and all. Obviously I never saw him play and in videos he was just a man among boys that's for sure!

Strider, your list looks good. It's hard to really tell how good some of the individual members of the "Steel Curtain" were, because they were such a dominating unit. Lambert was great, but right next to him was Jack Ham, in front of him was Greene and Greenwood and behind him Blount among others. They were so stacked. The same reason why Emmitt doesn't get his due. So much talent around him, even though even after Irvin went down, the line deteriorated, and Aikman started getting concussions, he still was a 1200 yard back year in and out. The Chiefs were fun to watch with Montana and Allen trying to continue their high level of performing.

My picks pretty much are they players I watched during my formative years of watching NFL. Walter Payton was so amazing on what was usually a sh!t team. I loved how he would just jump up after getting plowed over. Jerry Rice was so good for so long. LT was probably the single most dominant player I have ever seen on defense and Deion closed off his whole section of the field he was covering. Not to mention when he used to return punts....

Archived