Star Wars or the Godfather?

kingzoso

I would assume that YOU DO NOT know what the word DIVERGE means.

If you have any connection to the Internet, then I would assume that you can find the definition to that word very easily. Apparently, you have not and do not know what that simple word means. I feel sorry for you. I feel more sorry for you if you cannot appreciate the history or the substance that the "Star Wars" or the "Godfather" movies have on the Universal Culture.

I assume that you being from England, you do not actually realize the "historical" or "cultural" meaning that that these two great movies have on AMERICAN AND WORLD CULTURE!!! That includes Camebridgeshire, England, UK,

If You can name me a better or greater movie than "Star Wars" or the "Godfather" movies that have been made in the United Kingdom, I ask that you name such a movie.

This!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RosQrtfuBM

I do not care what anyone says or thinks about me, but I do think that ady is an idiot. Say what you will about me but I will say again that I think that ady is a moron because of the things he says in his posts. Yes, that means you ady.

Wow! Ha ha. You're the one with the major problem here, not me. All I did was to make a comment on "Psycho" in response to a comment YOU MADE.

WTF? How does Ady's post warrant such an attack? How ironic that you, the OP, seem to be doing as much thread-jacking and diverging as anyone else.

Ady, I know he addressed his questions to you, but I hope you don't mind if I answer them, too. Since kingzoso asked, here are a few great British films that have impacted culture and are better than "Star Wars", and if not 'greater' than "The Godfather", they are at least usually among the discussion of great films.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

2. Lawrence of Arabia

3. Withnail & I

4. A Hard Day's Night

5. The Red Shoes

6. A Clockwork Orange

7. The Third Man

8. Bridge Over the River Kwai

9. The Long Good Friday

10. Get Carter

11. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

12. Dr. No

13. The Up films

14. The 39 Steps

Those are just a few...

Strider, you're a top bloke, cheers.

WTF? How does Ady's post warrant such an attack? How ironic that you, the OP, seem to be doing as much thread-jacking and diverging as anyone else.

Ady, I know he addressed his questions to you, but I hope you don't mind if I answer them, too. Since you asked, here's a few great British films that have impacted culture and are better than "Star Wars", and if not 'greater' than "The Godfather", they are at least close.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

2. Lawrence of Arabia

3. Withnail & I

4. A Hard Day's Night

5. The Red Shoes

6. A Clockwork Orange

7. The Third Man

8. Bridge Over the River Kwai

9. The Long Good Friday

10. Get Carter

11. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

12. Dr. No

13. The Up films

14. The 39 Steps

Those are just a few...

I appreciate a good debate about Movies and Music.

I realize that you have had a hard-one for me for a long time. I do not care about that "petty shit" like you have held onto it for along time.

Speak for whoever you want to, but your defense of other does not mean anything to me. I prefer AMERICAN Hollywood movies than any other movies that were made or produced in any other country.

Name me any other Great Directors, that were and have made "Historic" movies outside the United States of America? Maybe two.

Martin Scorsese. Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, are all American Born and Bred.

Say or think about me how you choose, I matters nothing to me.

I am not as OLD as you are so I have many more years to change my mind without worrying about how I might end up.

^^^

Dude, take a lude.

I don't even know who you are so I certainly am not going to waste time holding a grudge. Did I say anything ill towards you in my first response in this thread? No, I did not. You asked for our responses as to which trilogy we thought was better: "The Godfather" or "Star Wars"? If I was nursing some grudge, as you imply, I wouldn't have bothered to read your thread, let alone reply.

Another thing, for someone who claims(repetitively to the point of nausea) not to care what other people think, you sure do seem to have a thin skin, not to mention your radar constantly out for any word, good or bad, said about you. Methinks you doth protest too much. If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't have gone after Ady like that. You would have let it slide off you like water off a duck's back. Hell, Ady was only responding to someone else correctly pointing out that you were one of the people discussing "Psycho". But apparently your kingly ego can't handle the truth.

David Lean...Stanley Kubrick...Alfred Hitchcock...Carol Reed...Tony Richardson...Michael Powell...Ken Loach...Mike Leigh...Danny Boyle...Nicolas Roeg...Lindsay Anderson...Stephen Frears. Just a few great directors from across the pond. Don't bother watching any of their films...your xenophobic Yahoo American mind wouldn't understand them.

What's really laughable is your inclusion of George Lucas in your list of great directors. Not by any stretch is he even in the same league as Scorsese, Spielberg, Coppola and Eastwood. He was great at brand merchandising, I'll give him that.

I don't care how old you are or how young, a boor is a boor, and you show all the signs of being a Grade A American boor.

You're probably also a former banned member returning to troll again. Just a hunch.

^^^

Are you seriously saying that Sagittarius Rising meant that in an offensive way? I've got news for you...the word 'gay' was around and had its own meanings and uses LONG before homosexuals appropriated it for themselves.

I've asked my gay friends about this very use of the word 'gay' in the manner that SR did, and they all gave him a pass. As I stated, even they will say of something or someone: That's so gay!

Try watching the Oscars or the Tony Awards with a gay crowd and you won't believe the jokes that fly.

So don't feel bad, SR...my peeps in WeHo say it's nothing to get hung about.

^^^

Are you seriously saying that Sagittarius Rising meant that in an offensive way? I've got news for you...the word 'gay' was around and had its own meanings and uses LONG before homosexuals appropriated it for themselves.

I've asked my gay friends about this very use of the word 'gay' in the manner that SR did, and they all gave him a pass. As I stated, even they will say of something or someone: That's so gay!

Try watching the Oscars or the Tony Awards with a gay crowd and you won't believe the jokes that fly.

So don't feel bad, SR...my peeps in WeHo say it's nothing to get hung about.

I understand If you feel like coming "out of the closest", strider, but don't take it out on other members just because you feel the need to consult your "gay" friends about your decision.

"Star Wars" and the "Godfather" movies have places for you and the people of your ilk.

As someone mentioned earlier about the Ewoks being gay, I guess you can at least relate to that part of "Return of the Jedi".

Lest anyone forget, I started this topic as a topic for FUN. How some interpret that is beyond me and my Control.

My answer to my own question is still the "Godfather"

"Name me any other Great Directors, that were and have made "Historic" movies outside the United States of America? Maybe two."
Dude. Now you are just embarrasing yourself. Speaking of Psycho, they have actual college courses devoted to Alfred Hitchcock.
And really? What does this even have to do with your original thread?
Not only did you mention comment on Psycho before the other dude did, but you also brought up The Score as well, so you don't even practice what you preach.
BTW, Lucas is NOT a great director imho. By the time Pyscho was released, Hitchcock had probably forgotten more than Lucas would ever learn about directing and Coppola peaked with Apocalypse Now.
Jules: If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.

I do not care what anyone says or thinks about me, but I do think that ady is an idiot. Say what you will about me but I will say again that I think that ady is a moron because of the things he says in his posts. Yes, that means you ady.

I prefer AMERICAN Hollywood movies than any other movies that were made or produced in any other country.

Name me any other Great Directors, that were and have made "Historic" movies outside the United States of America? Maybe two.

Priceless. Absolutely priceless! :)

"I know plenty of gay people."

"I work with some very nice black people."

"One of my best friends is Asian."

:mellow:

Oh please...get over your victim-hood already. You know that isn't applicable in this case and you only paint yourself as an idiot by trying to allege otherwise. What...do you want me to provide you with all the names and numbers of my gay friends? Sorry...I'm not an informer. Besides, they'd string me up if I ever passed on their information to someone as heavy-handed as you.

SR is right...you need to relax. You and your buddy, kingzoso, both need to take a chill pill.

Can't compare, different movies for different moods

Very true. Which is why these type of threads usually devolve into silly spats...only in this case it's the OP himself who is responsible for most of it. But maybe he cannot help himself...maybe he's Psycho?

Kubrick was born in NYC

Yes, but he made many of his films in England, including the two I listed: "2001" and "A Clockwork Orange". That was what kingzoso asked for...name a film made in England.

I appreciate a good debate about Movies and Music.

I realize that you have had a hard-one for me for a long time. I do not care about that "petty shit" like you have held onto it for along time.

Speak for whoever you want to, but your defense of other does not mean anything to me. I prefer AMERICAN Hollywood movies than any other movies that were made or produced in any other country.

Martin Scorsese. Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, are all American Born and Bred.

Say or think about me how you choose, I matters nothing to me.

I am not as OLD as you are so I have many more years to change my mind without worrying about how I might end up.

Off the top of my head I can think of several great film directors who weren't American:

David Lean (British)

Directed: "The Bridge over the River Kwai", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Dr. Zhivago", and "A Passage to India"

Ingmar Bergman (Swedish)

Directed: "Wild Strawberries", "Persona", and "Fanny and Alexander" among others.

Akira Kurosawa (Japanese)

Directed: "Rashomon", "Seven Samurai", and "Ran".

Sergei Eisenstein (Soviet/Russian)

Directed: "Battleship Potemkin", "Alexander Nevsky", and "Ivan the Terrible".

Federico Fellini (Italian)

Directed: "La Strada"and "La Dolce Vida" plus many other films.

Lawrence of Arabia, Rashomon, and Battleship Potemkin routinely make film scholars' "Greatest Films Ever" lists.

This thread is becoming slightly gay...

back on topic for kingzoso's sake, imho the godfathers trump everything star wars except for maybe special effects.

...and Ewoks. :lol:

Like I said in my original answer, "The Godfather" is so superior in every way that "Star Wars" isn't even in the same galaxy. Yeah, it's great as a kid...all that razzle-dazzle...but like soda pop, it's empty calories.

Someone mentioned liking "Star Wars" because he was obsessed with it at age 6, which is fine. But nostalgia has its limits. "The Godfather" still carries weight and impact today...no nostalgia-haze needed.

It's become known to some that I see virtually all of my movies in an actual theatre, whether it is current fare, or old and restored classic movies at the various theatres and art institutions around town. Both "The Godfather" and "Star Wars" trilogies are very popular so they are scheduled quite frequently at the local theatres...at least once a year, sometimes two or three times. So I have had the experience of seeing both "The Godfather" and "Star Wars" in the past year or two with contemporary audiences and the post-screening conversations were striking in their difference.

After "The Godfather", people talked about the story, the great acting, all the great characters big and small, the parallels between the Mafia, Big Business and the Government, the struggle for immigrant communities to play by the rules without being victimized, the editing, how great it was to see a film with no cgi. Younger viewers were usually struck by how long scenes would play out without the whiplash editing pandemic in so many of today's movies.

After "Star Wars", the conversations tended towards the "that was fun, but the special effects look a little dated now". Frequently the discussion moved on from the film itself to how betrayed the fans felt by George Lucas and the later prequels...and also by some of the changes he made to the original(like having Greebo shoot first instead of Han Solo).

Other than from a nostalgic perspective, very little from "Star Wars" resonates today the way it did in 1977. The passage of time has only made more glaring its faults. "The Godfather" suffers none of that....as an experiment, watch it back to back with any Best Picture winner from the last 10 years. It only gains in comparison.

A secondary question to ask might be what other trilogies are better than "Star Wars"? Christopher Nolan's "Batman" trilogy certainly merits mention, as does Peter Jackson's LOTR. I know some hardcore sci-fi fans that consider both the "Aliens" movies and the "Matrix" trilogy above "Star Wars". There's Sam Raimi's "Spiderman" films, the Superman and Star Trek films. All sorts of possibilities.

Point taken ;)

In an earlier post (which somebody dismissed as film school dissertation of a film I hated anyway) I was discussing how the character of Micheal Corleone in GF3 was so far of a departure from the two previous Godfather films, as to be in effect a different person. It would be interesting to hear some opinions on that?

Like in real life, the 20 yr old is essentially a different person in the same body of the 40 yr old version of itself as life experiences continue to shape the mind, morals and ethics?

Side note to Strider: I consider the first Matrix to be the most near perfect sci-fi film ever made.

Holy shit, I am away for a few days and this is what I come back to? I make a silly comment about Ewoks and the next thing I know I have become the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church incarnate?

My god man, I did not mean it in the manner of which it was taken. I know this may sound silly but there is a South Park episode which addresses this point perfectly where the boys use the word FAG to describe annoying persons. Language is not a static device, it changes and evolves with the times. Louis CK also addresses the evolution of the word GAY as well. In 1940 if I called John Wayne gay at a party he would have agreed. If I called him that in 1970 he would have shot me. Now, it is a word of varied description depending on context. Another example (pardon me ladies, no offense please) is the word CUNT. You say that in the states, anywhere within earshot of a woman, regardless of context and you will most likely be slain on the spot. However in England the word is thrown around in various context by both men & women and does not have the same meaning as it does in the US. Hell, even uptight MP's use the word often.

I am not a homophobe, I was simply using GAY to imply a tone of pollyanna and innocence within a movie of which the main context was anything but. In other words a total departure of a silly nature which IMO destroyed the film and killed the series.

Thanks for having my back Strider, I know you, like me, intermix logic with sarcasm, simile, and hyperbole which to some comes across crass. What can you do? Some folks are always pissed about something, I just don't understand the need to go balls deep with this shit. Talk about jumping the shark!

you remind me of my unlcle he never admits when he is wrong either. and using the c-word is really offensive too. i thought archie bunker was dead

Holy shit, I am away for a few days and this is what I come back to? I make a silly comment about Ewoks and the next thing I know I have become the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church incarnate?

My god man, I did not mean it in the manner of which it was taken. I know this may sound silly but there is a South Park episode which addresses this point perfectly where the boys use the word FAG to describe annoying persons. Language is not a static device, it changes and evolves with the times. Louis CK also addresses the evolution of the word GAY as well. In 1940 if I called John Wayne gay at a party he would have agreed. If I called him that in 1970 he would have shot me. Now, it is a word of varied description depending on context. Another example (pardon me ladies, no offense please) is the word CUNT. You say that in the states, anywhere within earshot of a woman, regardless of context and you will most likely be slain on the spot. However in England the word is thrown around in various context by both men & women and does not have the same meaning as it does in the US. Hell, even uptight MP's use the word often.

I am not a homophobe, I was simply using GAY to imply a tone of pollyanna and innocence within a movie of which the main context was anything but. In other words a total departure of a silly nature which IMO destroyed the film and killed the series.

Thanks for having my back Strider, I know you like me intermix logic with sarcasm, simile, and hyperbole which to some comes across crass. What can you do? Some folks are always pissed about something, I just don't understand the need to go balls deep with this shit. Talk about jumping the shark!

Hi SR,

Can I be the first female to say I was NOT offended by your use of the word cunt?

Context, people.

Grow up.

Archived