The Van Halen (2007 Edition) Thread

Dance the Crunge

gotta bump this "original" VH thread...

The only downside was the big hole it left in my wallet...ouch. It was worth it though.

Last week, I purchased tix for the Pittsburgh show in March...for 2nd level seating, but facing the stage...$91 (with ticketraper fees)...I remember when Zep was $9.50 (of course, that was 1977 dollars). But I know it'll be a great show from the reviews so far...

This will be my 5th VH show...1st one with DLR. I'll post afterwards, but to those Van Hagar haters...

there are 2 distinct bands...

so get over it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

I received a newsletter and it sounds like everyone is well and looking forward to the Chirstmas break before resuming the tour.

They thanked fans for their support and wished all a good holiday season..

Juliet

PS NO MENTION OF A LONDON CANADA GIG THOUGH...GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

PSS Maybe I'll put that on my Christmas wish list to Santa!!!!

I see it like this.....

Led Zeppelin were a world class recording and performing band.

Van Halen were a "party band". "Any" band can be a "party band" in concert. Nothing extra-special about that...

I couldn't agree more. To me Van Halen were the KC & The Sunshine Band of hard rock. I don't mean that as an insult, I actually like the both of them.

I couldn't agree more. To me Van Halen were the KC & The Sunshine Band of hard rock. I don't mean that as an insult, I actually like the both of them.

I know DLR always had a sense of humor but I dunno, the way he presents himself now like a plastic lounge singer and the standup comedy between songs, it's like he would rather mock himself than stand up straight and be a real rock star with conviction again. It's like he is trying to be Ron Jeremy--someone who has made a career out of playing off of the fact that he really should never have been where he wound up. I just think that's a big mistake.

I saw Van Halen a couple months ago. Lots of people around me loved the fact that David Lee Roth was back with the band. I am sure that DLR was even more spectacular/screechy in his younger years (with the wild hair and antics), but he was still fun and still has a great voice for rock-and-roll. Eddie Van Halen can do some incredible things with the guitar, but, having seen both Zeppelin and VH now, he is absolutely no Jimmy Page (not that I needed a concert to see that, but after experiencing both bands in such a short period of time, the differences are especially vivid). The Led Zeppelin snob in me thinks this sometimes: Van Halen is a heavily derivative band that was greatly influenced by Led Zeppelin. Obviously all bands are somewhat derivative but the Jimmy Page/EVH and Robert Plant/DLR parallels are stark sometimes. Heck, at one point during the concert, Roth walked up to EVH and sang "Push, push, push!" That said, they put on a great show in spite of rotten acoustics in the venue. They have a lot of great songs and are excellent performers in their own right. Of course the band is carried by Eddie Van Halen, who is in love with his guitar. It was a great show!

I had a fucking excellent Christmas on the Van Halen front!!!

I got Women and Children First, Fair Warning, that AMAZING Van Halen book by Zloz, another Van Halen book, a Van Halen sign that says 'Ali's Room', a David Lee Roth tee, Sonrisa Salvaje (Eat 'Em And Smile, the Spanish version) and Your Filthy Little Mouth. Oh yeah..... :D

I had a fucking excellent Christmas on the Van Halen front!!!

I got Women and Children First, Fair Warning, that AMAZING Van Halen book by Zloz, another Van Halen book, a Van Halen sign that says 'Ali's Room', a David Lee Roth tee, Sonrisa Salvaje (Eat 'Em And Smile, the Spanish version) and Your Filthy Little Mouth. Oh yeah..... :D

What does your DLR shirt look like?

What does your DLR shirt look like?

Freakin' sexy :lol: and with food spilt on it, hahaha. I've just taken a poic, but I will have to upload in a while, I've got a lot going on here :lol:

I think I also forgot to mention that I got a Van Halen DVD, WITH David Lee Roth :wub: It's the US Festival, bootleg, but oh wow, it's amazing :)

Freakin' sexy :lol: and with food spilt on it, hahaha. I've just taken a poic, but I will have to upload in a while, I've got a lot going on here :lol:

I think I also forgot to mention that I got a Van Halen DVD, WITH David Lee Roth :wub: It's the US Festival, bootleg, but oh wow, it's amazing :)

DVD with DLR sounds wonderful. Would have loved to have seen him in his younger years, but still loved seeing him during 2007 tour. He sure knows how to have fun on stage.

• 4 months later...

Secrets of the Guitar Heroes: Eddie Van Halen

20962103-20962106-slarge.jpg

[Photo: Max Vadukul]

It wasn’t just that Eddie Van Halen can shred with the best of them — that has always been a given. But Eddie has always lent a certain mystique to the image of himself as guitar god. In the current issue of Rolling Stone, he talks about his early introductions to the guitar and his take on the importance of rhythm. Click below for more on Van Halen, including a complete album guide and an essential playlist.

20962103-20962106-slarge.jpg

[Photo: Max Vadukul]

It wasn’t just that Eddie Van Halen can shred with the best of them — that has always been a given. But Eddie has always lent a certain mystique to the image of himself as guitar god. In the current issue of Rolling Stone, he talks about his early introductions to the guitar and his take on the importance of rhythm. Click below for more on Van Halen, including a complete album guide and an essential playlist.

Frankencaster's white lines have become yellow?

I didnt ever notice that at the Van Halen concert in Minneapolis 2007 show.

And I was sitting close.

Frankencaster's white lines have become yellow?

I didnt ever notice that at the Van Halen concert in Minneapolis 2007 show.

And I was sitting close.

I'm no expert on Edward's axes but I don't think that's the original guitar. I also recently saw them and got the same impression. Hell, he didn't even play the striped guitar for the majority of the concert.

I'm no expert on Edward's axes but I don't think that's the original guitar. I also recently saw them and got the same impression. Hell, he didn't even play the striped guitar for the majority of the concert.

He's playing a prototype of his EVH "wolfgang" guitar now being made by Fender. It has a nice woodtone look to it, no stripes.

• 1 month later...

NEWS ABOUT DAVID LEE ROTH'S VISIT TO ONTARIO....

This is not about the tour but there's been news that David lee Roth was visiting Ontario recently.

He had to go to the hospital in Brantford because he had an allergic reaction He's o.k.

He was visiting a friend that once lived in L.A. While here, David also went to a pub and sang with the band. He also went outside and had a cigarette. A CIGARETTE!!!!!! BAD ROCK STAR!!! :angry:

Juliet....non-smoker

PS Visit again....David Lee.....but no smoking this time,eh? Ya gotta live to 90...please quit!!!!

• 3 months later...

I spent of good chunk of my evening last night watching clips from their tour last year. I wish I had gone to see it. The whole vibe and energy of the show seemed amazing. Plus they sounded great... even with the crappy YouTube quality!

• 3 months later...

Archived