I met Zeppelin's Scandinavian Tour Manager

As if this trip could not get any better, we were staying at the Britannia International hotel until Wednesday. On Tuesday evening, a couple of guys from Calgary and I were having some pints in the bar. We ran into a married couple from Denmark and two guys from Philladelphia. The guy from Denmark is named JERRY RITZ. We start talking about music and during our conversation, he informs me that he was Zep's tour manager in 1968 & 69 on the Scandinavian tour. He tells us stories about driving the band around from gig to gig in a van. Holy shit, you have got to be kidding me! I believed everything this guy had to say. He was not trying to impress, just telling it like it was. We went on a PC and he showed us pictures of the band from 1968 and he is in the pictures also. Does anyone know anything about this guy? I've googled his name and found some info but very little is written. I talked with him for about an hour. Very very cool.

IMG_0233.jpg

Hi Steve,

I will email him and ask exactly that.

Here's a memory jogger for him:

September 7 1968 Sat Gladsaxe, Denmark Teen Club Box 45

Billed as "Yard Birds", support from Fourways and Bodies

September 7 1968 Sat Brondby, Denmark Brondby Pop Club Showtime 19:30

Billed with The Day Of Phoenix, The Eyes, Ham Norregards-Hallen

September 8 1968 Sun Roskilde, Denmark Fjordvilla Club Paramount Showtime 18:30;

Support from (Sweden's) The Ladybirds and Beauty Fools

September 8 1968 Sun Falster, Denmark Raventlow Parken Showtime 19:00;

Support from The Beatniks and (Sweden's) Ladybirds

September 9 1968 Mon Page is interviewed by the Danish newspaper 'Aktuelt'

September 12 1968 Thu Stockholm, Sweden Gronalund Tivoli

September 13 1968 Fri Stockholm, Sweden Inside Club

Support from Hep Stars

September 14 1968 Sat Knivsta, Uppsala, Sweden Angby Parkdans Show

Billed with Kenneth Staggs, Hayati Kafe

September 15 1968 Sun Gothenborg, Sweden Stjarnscenen Liseburg

September 17 1968 Tue Malmo, Sweden Klub Bongo

September 20 1968 Fri Stockholm, Sweden

September 21 1968 Sat Stockholm, Sweden

September 22 1968 Sun Bergen, Norway

September 23 1968 Mon Oslo, Norway

September 24 1968 Tue Oslo, Norway

As if this trip could not get any better, we were staying at the Britannia International hotel until Wednesday. On Tuesday evening, a couple of guys from Calgary and I were having some pints in the bar. We ran into a married couple from Denmark and two guys from Philladelphia. The guy from Denmark is named JERRY RITZ. We start talking about music and during our conversation, he informs me that he was Zep's tour manager in 1968 & 69 on the Scandinavian tour. He tells us stories about driving the band around from gig to gig in a van. Holy shit, you have got to be kidding me! I believed everything this guy had to say. He was not trying to impress, just telling it like it was. We went on a PC and he showed us pictures of the band from 1968 and he is in the pictures also. Does anyone know anything about this guy? I've googled his name and found some info but very little is written. I talked with him for about an hour. Very very cool.

IMG_0233.jpg

Had Jerry Ritz been invited to the show, or had he attended the gig anyway, OR was it just a total coincidence that he was in London and that he was staying at the same hotel as yourself?

I believe they won tickets in the first ballot. I aksed him if he was going to try and contact the band while here byt he said no, that it was a long time ago and he has not spoken with them since. I don't know, personally, I would have been all over that.

Google in Denmark gives you this:

http://www.teenclubs.dk/Jerry_Ritz_Fra_Gla...ondon_2007.html

Quick translation:

From Led Zeppelin’s world debut as ”The New Yardbirds” in Gladsaxe Teen Club September 7, 1968 to the Led Zeppelin reunion concert in London December 10, 2007.

When 20.00 people gather at the O2 Arena in London December 10, 2007 to see the first real LZ concert since 1980, one can only guess that only 5 of these were present at LZs debut performance September 7, 1968 in Gladsaxe Teen Club. Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Robert Plant of course were there. And then there were two more: Annie and Jerry Ritz.

From 1966 Jerry Ritz were employed at the Booking Company Bendix Music (later ICO) and was responsible for many of the international bands performing at Gladsaxe Teen Club. He knew Egegaard School and the many volunteers behind the scene, and well-known bands as the Move, John Mayall, Deep Purple and Ten Years After frequently performed there, In Gladsaxe Teen Club the young Jerry also met Teen Club employee Annie, and love was in the air. They have been together since then and were married in 1972.

When ”The New Yardbirds" in September 1968 went on a 10 days tour in Scandinavia, the group’s first, Jerry Ritz were tour manager, with first stop at Gladsaxe Teen Club September 7, 1968.

December 5, 2007 Jerry Ritz were in DRs Studie 4 Programme where Jerry in a conversation with Kurt Baagø told about his experience with LZ.

Listen to the interview here.

When Annie and Jerry are back from London we are looking forward to giving you a front row experience from the first LZ concert in 27 years.

On Tuesday December 11, 2007 Kurt Baagø will call Jerry at his hotel to get feedback from the big concert. Listen to the interview on DR P4 Studie 4 on Tuesday December 11, 14.00. The clip will later be featured at the LZ feature programme site

Lots of other stuff in Danish, but I won't translate it all to you!

Nice photos here (and text in English) http://www.angel.dk/zeppelin/Pages/ZEPovers1.html

Archived