Bron-Y-Aur Stomp backing vocals?

joshcoote

I am watching the Led Zep DVD that I brought the other day (for $20 NZD!!!!), and I noticed during Bron-Y-Aur Stomp there clearly are backing vocals during that song? Or is it some weird PA effect that makes it seem like there is? If there are backing vocals, who would it be (I know it's not Page, you can clearly see him rocking out and not singing)

Would anyone be able to shed some light?

Thank you :)

.............actually Jimmy's not a bad singer. He did some backing vocals as well (and did record a single (or two) before his days in Zep)

Jonesy....eh....yeah. *lol*

Additionally, I read somewhere that he was in a (school?) choir as a young person.

good old Bonzo! Yeah I know Jimmy did quite a few backups in the studio which aren't too bad (couldn't see him being the lead singer...) and we have all heard JPJ sing The Battle of Evermore... but thanks :) Was pretty happy when the local radio station actually played Bron-Y-Aur Stomp the other day

I am watching the Led Zep DVD that I brought the other day (for $20 NZD!!!!), and I noticed during Bron-Y-Aur Stomp there clearly are backing vocals during that song? Or is it some weird PA effect that makes it seem like there is? If there are backing vocals, who would it be (I know it's not Page, you can clearly see him rocking out and not singing)

Would anyone be able to shed some light?

Thank you :)

If you closely watch the Earl's Court dvd, you can see Bonzo singing back-up on The Stomp.

However, Jimmy would add his backing vocals to Stomp on the 77 tour. I can't remember who did it in 1972, Jimmy or Bonzo.

Jimmy also sings backup on "Tangerine" at Earl's Court in '75, as did the whole band...for the first time on stage doing four-part harmony. You also sometimes got multiple backups in "That's the Way" at the end of the final chorus where it goes "ah-ah-ah-ah", dropping lower in pitch on each step.

^^^ Well there ya go!

It's the very first picture you see in his book anyhow. Him as a boy in a choir. :D

Thanks for that! I have read so many books! And without the reference based minds or catalog of many of you here...thank God for you all to keep the Forum honest, sincere and accurate!

Meanwhile in JPJ's corner...

JPJ doesn't sound bad there. I've heard worse singers. Also, didn't he and Page both do backing vocals in early live versions of "Whole Lotta Love"? Or was that Bonham you hear (along with Plant and Page) singing the Whole Lotta Love refrain at the Royal Albert Hall concert?

P.S. I think the "Angry Angry" song is hilarious. Does anyone know if JPJ wrote the music and lyrics himself?

JPJ doesn't sound bad there. I've heard worse singers. Also, didn't he and Page both do backing vocals in early live versions of "Whole Lotta Love"? Or was that Bonham you hear (along with Plant and Page) singing the Whole Lotta Love refrain at the Royal Albert Hall concert?

It was only Jimmy Page that sang the backup "Whole Lotta Love" chorus in concert. Jones never had a vocal mic near him except on acoustic sets and on the Earl's Court "Tangerines" in 1975. Any third extra vocals you hear on a live "Whole Lotta Love" would have to come from Bonzo.

Wait...which one was it that JPJ sang the duet with Robert for "Battle of Evermore"? Oh man, sorry to say but that was just atrocious singing from JPJ *lol*

Guess after that night, they scratched it from the set list. :D

Wait...which one was it that JPJ sang the duet with Robert for "Battle of Evermore"? Oh man, sorry to say but that was just atrocious singing from JPJ *lol*

Guess after that night, they scratched it from the set list. :D

Would you mind rephrasing that question a little more clearly? It's hard to discern what exactly you're asking. Surely you know that "Battle of Evermore" was on every setlist for 1977, so they certainly did NOT "scratch it from the set list."

P.S. I think the "Angry Angry" song is hilarious. Does anyone know if JPJ wrote the music and lyrics himself?

I think the song is genius, JPJ sounds great

Sounds like a few voices in "Your Time is Gonna Come"...I understand there are overdubs, but the tone of the voices sound like it's more than 2.

Well, Page, Jones and Bonham are all credited with 'backing vocals' on the first album, so anything's possible. Note the background harmonies on "Communication Breakdown" as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived