Bootlegs 101?

Redfish9

Hello - new to the forum, but not new to Zeppelin. Have been a LZ fan for 30+ years, but just recently discovered the world of LZ bootlegs. Is there an existing thread or website that would provide a good introduction to LZ bootlegs...I have lots of questions...

1) With so many to choose from...where does one start? Are there certain "must have" shows that one should have in his collection? Are there certain shows from each year/tour/era that can be used to narrow down the search and start building a well rounded collection (also including post-Zep/Plant&Page/Outrider/Firm, etc. stuff)?

2) I am especially interested in shows that have great versions of No Quarter, or any other shows/songs that highlight Jimmy's playing? (I realize all of them have great guitar from Jimmy, but there are certain nights when he is more on his game than others). I've already read a few "best live NQ" threads, but it's hard to tell whether people are basing their commenst on JPJ's piano segment, Bonham's drumming, etc. I am primarily looking for ones that have great guitar solos...I'm just not that interested in the piano/drum segments.

3) Which show would provide the true/original "uncut" version of NQ that was edited for the CD re-issue of TSRTS?

Thanks

Welcome!

There is an awesome beginners guide here http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18827. Some of the ones that stand out to me are the Japan tours (1971 and 72), the Earls Court run in 1975, and June 21st 1977 (titled Listen to This Eddie). Anything recorded by Mike "The Mike" Millard is a must have.

I personally love the performances of "No Quarter" from 1975 specifically for the jazzy part immediately after the solo piano stuff. Some of my favorite live Zeppelin. As far as a specific show, I couldn't say.

I believe that the "No Quarter" solo from TSRTS comes from July 28th, 1973.

• 3 weeks later...

one thing you'll find as you investigate the boots, is how different they sounded as the years progressed.

The early concerts, they're a raw almost acid blues band, and at the height of their powers, the mid 70s, they almost sound like a prog-rock band at times, the shows were very long... and by the end, the shows were shorter and at times seemed more sedate.

The early ones sometimes feature stuff you've never heard before, theres one from San Francisco in early 1969 in believe thats very good, I think its Filmore West. Look for the song by Garnett Mimms, I've seen it under a couple of titles. Dallas Pop Festival from 1969 is another of my favorites, good recording, great performance.

73 is a tour that was played well and recorded well, lots of people dig the stuff from europe, the vienna gig in 73 is really good - theres one from Offenburg Germany thats blistering, if you can find it... all I've found from that is an audience recording, and I tend to like the dryer soundboard stuff.

75 Dallas Texas is another good one and Zurich 1980 is a good example of the final tour.

As I mentioned on another thread, this topic has been discussed many times previously...check the above threads for suggestions.

Sorry if it's a really stupid question, but I'm kind of a newbie - how / where does one buy these things?

Not exactly the kind of question you want to be asking on the official Led Zeppelin site, scylla...suffice it to say that 1) Google is yer friend in this case and 2) in 2013 there is absolutely no need to actually buy the things, they can be easily downloaded for free from a variety of different places (again, Google is yer friend ;) )

Not exactly the kind of question you want to be asking on the official Led Zeppelin site, scylla...suffice it to say that 1) Google is yer friend in this case and 2) in 2013 there is absolutely no need to actually buy the things, they can be easily downloaded for free from a variety of different places (again, Google is yer friend ;) )

Seems to me it's exactly the right place to be asking. . . presumably there's lots of people on here who know which sites are best (I'm wary of dodgy file-sharing sites, having had trouble with viruses). Who better to ask?

Seems to me it's exactly the right place to be asking. . . presumably there's lots of people on here who know which sites are best (I'm wary of dodgy file-sharing sites, having had trouble with viruses). Who better to ask?

you are correct that there are lots of experts (myself included) around here who can point you in the right direction, but actually posting links to sites and what not is strictly verboten here...anyway, PM sent :)

you are correct that there are lots of experts (myself included) around here who can point you in the right direction, but actually posting links to sites and what not is strictly verboten here...anyway, PM sent :)

Thanks very much!