Bill Clinton tried to get Zeppelin to reunite for Sandy benefit concert

rayban123

Whoaa, these are some really big heavy weights in their respected industry. Harvey Weinstein basically owns a huge percent of Hollywood. Bill Clinton is a member of the most elite club in the world. And, Saltzman's Robin Hood Foundation is huge too.

Yet the boys turned down the invitation.

Maybe an invitation from Queen Elizabeth herself might change their minds?

NEW YORK, N.Y. – It’s a diplomatic failure at the highest level: Bill Clinton couldn’t get Led Zeppelin to reunite.

The CBS “60 Minutes Overtime” webcast reported Monday that the former president was enlisted to ask the British rock gods to get back together last year for the Superstorm Sandy benefit concert in New York City. He asked, they said no.

David Saltzman of the Robin Hood Foundation says he and film executive Harvey Weinstein flew to Washington to ask Clinton to make the plea. Led Zeppelin’s surviving members Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page were in Washington just before the Sandy concert for the Kennedy Center Honors.

Led Zeppelin last played publicly at a one-night reunion in London in 2007.

If this doesn't make it apparent that they aren't going to reunite again, I don't know what will.

The recent Barney Hoskyn book states that they were offered obscene amounts of money to tour following the 2007 concert.

I wonder if Clinton is a Zep fan? Also, I agree with Melcore. If Zep's surviving members turned down a former American president; then we can rule out any future reunions.

At the very least, slick w. would be a fan of the Zeppelin groupies.

He was. I believe BC enjoyed the talents of Connie Hamzy('Sweet Connie') who was also 'known' to Jimmy.

At the very least, slick w. would be a fan of the Zeppelin groupies.

I would rather see them in a real concert, with enough dates that it would be likely that I could go, then watch them on TV for 15 minutes on a fundraiser. Maybe that's why they turned it down.

I'd love to see them,even though it would not have the feel of a real led zep reunion cause as long as bonzo stays dead,that is not happening!

assholes?

You what ?

This says absolutely nothing about the band or their readiness to play together.. and far from making them look like assholes, it shows that they stand apart from the moneyed east coast lobby groups who think their natural disaster is worse than anyone else's.

I know how devastating Sandy was for so many people and I have such sympathy for the loss of life: just over 100 Americans, aside from the devastation in other countries before the storm hit the US.

My heart also goes out to the families of 200+ people who died in the Sichuan province, China earthquake just last month.

And in particular, because it challenges all of our consciences, to the 600+ deaths in the Bangladesh building collapse, also last month.

The Sandy benefit gig was Bruce Springsteen's : no one more fitting. How could Led Zeppelin just turn up to sit alongside him and those other performers? whoever thought of Zep and persuaded CLINTON to ask them was getting carried away.

As you also say, phredzeppelin63, they will (or won't) get back together on their own terms, and not anyone else's . Great, as far as I'm concerned. The benefit concert was hugely successful without them .. and Zeppelin did not compromise their integrity by putting on a half-baked jam session at the behest of conscience-stricken Manhattanites.

You what ?

This says absolutely nothing about the band or their readiness to play together.. and far from making them look like assholes, it shows that they stand apart from the moneyed east coast lobby groups who think their natural disaster is worse than anyone else's.

I know how devastating Sandy was for so many people and I have such sympathy for the loss of life: just over 100 Americans, aside from the devastation in other countries before the storm hit the US.

My heart also goes out to the families of 200+ people who died in the Sichuan province, China earthquake just last month.

And in particular, because it challenges all of our consciences, to the 600+ deaths in the Bangladesh building collapse, also last month.

The Sandy benefit gig was Bruce Springsteen's : no one more fitting. How could Led Zeppelin just turn up to sit alongside him and those other performers? whoever thought of Zep and persuaded CLINTON to ask them was getting carried away.

As you also say, phredzeppelin63, they will (or won't) get back together on their own terms, and not anyone else's . Great, as far as I'm concerned. The benefit concert was hugely successful without them .. and Zeppelin did not compromise their integrity by putting on a half-baked jam session at the behest of conscience-stricken Manhattanites.

:goodpost:

"moneyed east coast lobby groups who think their natural disaster is worse than anyone else's.... conscience-stricken Manhattanites."

Wow, I didn't know Bruce Springsteen was from Manhattan. I always thought he was from New Jersey. :blink:

As a Manhattanite, I can testify, I was not "conscience-stricken" after Sandy; although I and most of my neighbors tried to help those in need, even though we also lost power for 4 days (me)to 2 weeks, lost motor vehicles etc. lost income from flooded or dark offices that we couldn't work in... I don't recall asking for a benefit concert. I do recall the governor of New York asking Congress for money and initially getting nothing, then getting nowhere near what it would cost to rebuild the damage. I guess a lot of those Republican members of Congress who got money for rebuilding after tornadoes, etc., like to save money when it's someone else's state that was devastated.

They turned it down, because they are SMART, A Led Zeppelin Reunion, at this concert, would have OVERSHADOWED, the entire point of this concert, no one would care about any other acts, no one would care about the Tragedy that happened, no one would care about the loss suffered, it would have been all about Led Zeppelin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to think Page, Plant, and Jones, understand the power they have!

They turned it down, because they are SMART, A Led Zeppelin Reunion, at this concert, would have OVERSHADOWED, the entire point of this concert, no one would care about any other acts, no one would care about the Tragedy that happened, no one would care about the loss suffered, it would have been all about Led Zeppelin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to think Page, Plant, and Jones, understand the power they have!

Great post! Well said!!!!!

I myself would have been horribly disappointed if they would have done this. For numerous reasons.

You what ?

Go over to facebook and see the things people are saying about the band! I Did not say they were assholes,but I think whoever leaked this did so to make LED ZEPPELIN look like assholes! what other reason would anybody have to leak this 7 months after hurricane sandy hit? Ever since the first crappy album review in 1969,the press has taken every chance it could to basically shit on led zeppelin,and in my view,they are taking this chance to do it yet again! I Would not be shocked to see it end up on the cover of rolling stone magazine if they can find the time to quit covering Justin"f**king" timberlake!

Why should they play anyway? I understand people like Springsteen, who is from NJ wanting to get involved in such a thing or other local bands... but from some comments I read on other sites, they imply that the band should care more about NYC... why? not one of them lives there or was born there and if they feel it won't be a good idea, then their decision should be respected. Now this non-news story is all over the internet and as people said above, just to make the band look like assholes... they don't owe anyone anything...

Archived