Patty Griffin&Robert Plant performing @ Rough Trade East

ZepRex

James,

Thanks so much for relating this for those of us who were not there. Was the (albeit tiny) venue packed out? Did you get anything signed by Patty or RP? Having seen her doing a short set, would you go to a full concert? I ask because it might not be your kind of music.

Whoever filmed this must have been right next to me. I was standing at the front behind Dave Lewis and his little reporter notebook (!).

Some highlights for you:

Waiting in the queue outside the store when I happened to look behind me and there's Robert Plant walking around, nobody recognised him as they didn't look behind them.

A strange noise comes on the speaker system between songs and Patty Griffin jokingly says it's from her butt. 'I've had a cold, my body's been doing lots of exciting things'.

Robert Plant striding on stage for Highway Song, and proceeding to pester Patty into telling the story behind the song. Awkward glances. Robert went on to tell the story himself. He was speeding along the highway ("85 miles an hour") with Patty in the passenger seat with an acoustic guitar. They're happily singing together writing the song when the police pull Robert over for speeding. He rolls the window down and the officer asks to see his papers. He hands them over, and the officer tells him that they're a prescription for painkillers! (Patty then stopped Robert because this was the story behind a different song).

Before they played Highway Song, Robert said that they felt they played 'drearily' on Later... With Jools Holland the other night so they played it differently this time.

After they played that song: Robert announced "I'm going now", picked up his beer, and slowly and deliberately reversed down the little ladder at the side of the stage. I laughed. That was the last that people saw of him, it was very much Patty's gig.

After the final song, Patty was deciding what to play for an encore. Someone in the audience shouted 'Ohio'. Patty smiled and looked off the side of the stage to Robert, who presumably didn't look enthusiastic enough. She played Railroad Wings instead.

Setlist (I think)

• Wherever You Wanna Go
  • Don't Let Me Die In Florida
  • Faithful Son
  • Wild Old Dog
  • Highway Song
  • Railroad Wings

James,

Thanks so much for relating this for those of us who were not there. Was the (albeit tiny) venue packed out? Did you get anything signed by Patty or RP? Having seen her doing a short set, would you go to a full concert? I ask because it might not be your kind of music.

It was a good-sized crowd, over one hundred people clustered round the little stage. Probably about ten people deep.

Patty kindly did signings afterwards for everyone. Everyone formed a queue and she signed albums, chatted and people took photos with her. Robert hid round the corner of the store and didn't sign anything. It was Patty's show and he really respected that.

Definitely would go to see Patty play live again. Trying to find someone to go with to her Union Chapel show in July. Even though she had a cold, that was one of the best live shows I've seen.

Folk/country music really isn't my thing. But Patty pours everything into her songs, and it really showed. I purchased all her albums after seeing her live, so yes, I definitely recommend it.

It was a good-sized crowd, over one hundred people clustered round the little stage. Probably about ten people deep.

Patty kindly did signings afterwards for everyone. Everyone formed a queue and she signed albums, chatted and people took photos with her. Robert hid round the corner of the store and didn't sign anything. It was Patty's show and he really respected that.

Definitely would go to see Patty play live again. Trying to find someone to go with to her Union Chapel show in July. Even though she had a cold, that was one of the best live shows I've seen.

Folk/country music really isn't my thing. But Patty pours everything into her songs, and it really showed. I purchased all her albums after seeing her live, so yes, I definitely recommend it.

Totally agree with you on this one. I had no idea what to expect the first time I went to one of her shows and had some friends with me that basically just went to have something to do. We all walked out complete converts. She really puts everything into it like no one I've ever seen and comes across as so nice and genuinely humble.

Very cool of Robert to keep everyone reminded of who the focus of the event should be.

Thanks James :) , looks like it was a great evening. That is what I think shines out about Patty and Robert - the extent to which they care about their music and performance. How easy is it to get armbands from Rough Trade East, if say you were doing it from a different part of the country, and over the internet? Where and when do you pick up the armbands.?

This just shows us again what kind of a man Robert is

Totally agree with you on this one. I had no idea what to expect the first time I went to one of her shows and had some friends with me that basically just went to have something to do. We all walked out complete converts. She really puts everything into it like no one I've ever seen and comes across as so nice and genuinely humble.

Very cool of Robert to keep everyone reminded of who the focus of the event should be.

I promise no politics in this post. The 9 Lives box set is the way to go I prefer the more recent Americana(Some say "sleepy" music) but the 9 Lives box has a disc of all his music videos through 02 or 05 that as far as I know is not available elsewhere at least in US and if u aquire a taste for the more recent stuff u can tack it on later also the 2nd disc of his 2 cd collection is worth having. Warning ...mullet head on DVD but a great dvd nonetheless.

Thanks James :) , looks like it was a great evening. That is what I think shines out about Patty and Robert - the extent to which they care about their music and performance. How easy is it to get armbands from Rough Trade East, if say you were doing it from a different part of the country, and over the internet? Where and when do you pick up the armbands.?

It was super easy to get a wristband. I sent them an email enquiring whether I'd get one with an online purchase. "Yes". So I got there, picked up my album and wristband by saying my name, and joined the queue with everyone else.

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised that you could buy the album online, and yet pick it up in store. I'll keep that info in mind for the next time :beer:

It was super easy to get a wristband. I sent them an email enquiring whether I'd get one with an online purchase. "Yes". So I got there, picked up my album and wristband by saying my name, and joined the queue with everyone else.

This just shows us again what kind of a man Robert is

I have to agree When I saw him with alison and BOJ I felt like I was being talked and played TO and FOR with the other people there.....He came across as a great guy who loves the music and respected his fellow players along with the crowd. I have seen acts like U2 and McCartney and it felt very rote and mechanical-never again-and I am not comparing musically here only stage presence ...I am really sad that surgery prevents me from seeing the SSS show here in July. I have never hero- worshipped but Patty and Robert would be 2 people it'seems like it'd be fun to hang out with for a while with no pretentiousness.

I have to agree When I saw him with alison and BOJ I felt like I was being talked and played TO and FOR with the other people there.....He came across as a great guy who loves the music and respected his fellow players along with the crowd. I have seen acts like U2 and McCartney and it felt very rote and mechanical-never again-and I am not comparing musically here only stage presence ...I am really sad that surgery prevents me from seeing the SSS show here in July. I have never hero- worshipped but Patty and Robert would be 2 people it'seems like it'd be fun to hang out with for a while with no pretentiousness.

I agree that they both come across as very genuine.

Americana and country and western are not the same thing...to each his/her own Hope to see/hear more

Thus far, only four comments have been posted by that "fan" and at least two of them were about what he sees as the negative direction of Robert's career. Of course, I'm still at a loss on why people are griping about these recent songs as if Robert is going to go out on tour with them or something??? If you don't care for the music, don't buy Patty's new album and there you go. He guested on a few songs on an album and while he's got some free time from his current band he is joining her for a song here and there, that's all. He's about to embark on a tour of the US with the Sensational Space Shifters and the music is yet another direction that he enjoys going in. If that isn't your cup of tea, give him a year and he'll more than likely be doing something else in a new style. As you said though, to each his own. I happen to like the collaboration and have enjoyed getting to see Robert and Patty performing a couple of the songs.

When did you see him?

Highway Song is actually really good on Patty's new CD...this live version at Rough Trade lags seriously

behind the original studio version.

The have done "Ohio" live as well and the same thing has happened - their harmonies are off and the

pace of the song, again a great song on the Cd, is way too slow.

They are experienced musicians and should know better technique on doing these slow songs live.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived