Goodbye Fergie ...Hello Moyes

weslgarlic

Goodbye Alex Ferguson 26 years of loyal service ....you'll be sorely missed

Hello Moyes ...You've got one hell of a task

Fergie got 5 years before winning a trophy , but Man Utd have not finished outside of the top three in the last twenty years

I doubt Moyes will be given the same chances , Man Utd are in lot better state than when Fergie took over , Utd may end up like Chelsea with rotation of new managers unless Moyes is indeed the new Special one

Its going to be hard next season with Man City , Mouriniho back at Chelsea , Spurs and Arsenal . via for the top 4 places

It will be interesting to see how Liverpool and Everton get on next season too .

I can remember a time when Manchester United wasn't led by Sir Alex...but just barely.

I don't envy Moyes at all...he's got big shoes, no, make that COLOSSAL shoes to fill.

On a related note, who had Wigan today? Anybody?

From the Los Angeles Times today:

Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement leaves void in soccer world

The Manchester United manager known as 'Furious Fergie' is stepping down after 26 seasons with the team. Ferguson won a record 13 English Premier League titles.

By Kevin Baxter, May 12, 2013

If Sir Alex Ferguson had stuck with his original plan, today we might be praising his pasta and Chinese noodles rather than his decision to start Robin van Persie over Wayne Rooney.

Or if he had chosen to pursue his interest in U.S. history, particularly the Civil War and the JFK assassination, he might have become a master teacher of men rather than a master motivator of them.

But then again, if Ferguson hadn't passed on those two options to become the most successful coach in Britishsoccer history, we wouldn't be calling him sir. After all few chefs, and even fewer U.S. history buffs, get knighted by the queen.

Ferguson announced Wednesday he was stepping down as manager of Manchester United, ending an unparalleled 26-season run in which he won a record 13 English Premier League titles and transformed the franchise from an underperforming middle-of-the-pack team into one of world's wealthiest and most popular professional sports brands.

And though Ferguson is 71 and talk of retirement has been swirling since 2002 —- when he said he was stepping down, then changed his mind and signed a contract extension — the news came as a surprise to many.

Ferguson, who is facing hip replacement surgery in July, told team officials of his plans in February, but the club kept it secret until Wednesday, when Ferguson told his players in a short but emotional team meeting just after 9 a.m. He then addressed his coaching staff while the club's press office made a formal announcement on Twitter.

It read simply, "Sir Alex Ferguson retires. #thankyousiralex."

Longtime rivals say Ferguson's absence will create a noticeable void.

"Basically, the achievement is immaculate, when you look at the whole structure and consistency of the achievement. It is something exceptional," said Arsene Wenger, who with 16 seasons at Arsenal, succeeds Ferguson as the longest-serving Premier League manager. "It is difficult to imagine English football without him, but it's now a reality and a fact."

Across the pond, ESPN soccer analyst Taylor Twellman tried to put Ferguson's legacy in perspective for the colonists.

"For the American sports fan, this is John Wooden, Phil Jackson, Vince Lombardi all wrapped into one," he said.

Well, not really. Not only did Ferguson win more league titles than Jackson's NBA-record 11, but he won more than the NFL's two winningest coaches — George Halas and Curly Lambeau — combined. Even the sainted Wooden, who won 10 NCAA championships at UCLA, couldn't match Ferguson's success.

Yet it would never have happened if a series of quirky events had not detoured Ferguson toward the end of his playing career in the Scottish League.

He had already sunk some of his soccer earnings into a spot where he planned to open a diner and had taken a kitchen job at a restaurant just down the road from his home to learn the business when, just days after playing his final game, he was offered a job as manager of a second-division Scottish club. It was a part-time position that paid $60 a week, and the team didn't even have a goalkeeper. But Ferguson, then 32, was smitten.

And his reputation as a no-nonsense disciplinarian was already forming, with one player on that team saying he had "never been afraid of anyone before, but Ferguson was a frightening bastard from the start."

Infamously short-tempered, "Furious Fergie," as he became known, once fined a player for passing him while driving on a public road. But his trademark was the "hair dryer," in which he would berate someone from such close range his breath would blow the player's hair back. He let David Beckhamknow of his rage from longer distance, though, once kicking a soccer cleat across the dressing room and striking the star midfielder above the eye, causing a cut that required stitches.

At the end of the season it was Beckham, not Ferguson, who was forced to leave United.

Through it all, Ferguson won. At Aberdeen, his final stop in Scotland, he won 11 trophies — including three league titles and four Scottish Cups — in seven years. At United, which was headed for relegation when Ferguson arrived, he won 38 trophies, among them 13 Premier League championships, two Champions League crowns and five FA Cups.

In 1999 he won an unprecedented treble, capturing a league title, the FA Cup and the Champions League in the same season, capping a year that featured United becoming the richest and most valuable sporting brand in the world while Ferguson was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.

So Sunday, a month after winning his fifth Premier League title in seven seasons and with precious little left to accomplish, Ferguson will manage his final game at Old Trafford, the aptly named Theatre of Dreams where the 26,000 seats on the stadium's north side are called the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand. It's the spot where, for the last six months, the entrance has been guarded by a 9-foot-tall bronze statue of Ferguson, arms folded and eyes fixed in a piercing stare.

Ferguson will manage his 1,500th and final United match on May 19 at West Bromwich Albion. Then, after his surgery, he'll accept a reported $3-million salary to move into a vague role as a director and ambassador for the club. Another Scot, Everton's David Moyes, will take his place on the sideline.

But Ferguson's place in history will be much more difficult to fill.

"The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly," Ferguson said. "It is the right time."

kevin.baxter@latimes.com

Good riddance, he bullied, manipulated, bribed and drunk his way through all those trophies. See ya

Bribed? That's a bit strong. Where's yer proof. Seems as though you're 'avin a bad day mate.

Good riddance, he bullied, manipulated, bribed and drunk his way through all those trophies. See ya

Ha! 19 other teams in the Premier League would have killed to have him as their manager. Sounds like sour grapes.

Davey Moyes has done wonders at Everton with a very limited budget and for my money, looks to have the necessary personality and ability to take on the mantle of being the manager at Man United. Time will tell of course but, I feel he's one of the better managers in the game at the moment and if he spends wisely, I think United supporters will be more than happy with the job he does.

• 5 weeks later...

Fucking shit club. Say goodbye to the title as it's coming to City.

City have got rid of their special one , more worried about chelsea

next year

man utd 1st

chelsea 2nd

spurs 3rd if they keep bale as well as fit and replace parker

arsenal 4th

everton 5th

man city 6th

Fucking shit club. Say goodbye to the title as it's coming to City.

I think what you meant to say "THE" city and I mean Manchester. And It wont be the council house dwellers in the arse end of East Manchester. Wes was spot on last season and I have no reason to doubt that he'll be correct this season.

And pray tell why is Manchester United " A fucking shit club"?

:lol: :lol: Mate you're deluded!

If you think Pellegrini won't get City either 1st or 2nd espeically with their squad then I wouldn't talk.

Man U have a new manager whose trophyless and you think they'll just shoot to 1st.

Everton ain't going anywhere near the top half

All bets are off now Fergie has gone. I think Man U fans have to be deluded if they think it will just be "business as usual" next season. They've just replaced Bill Gates with a bloke who ran an IT shop for 11 years; albeit a shop that broke even and occasionally made a profit despite having a low budget.

I think what you meant to say "THE" city and I mean Manchester. And It wont be the council house dwellers in the arse end of East Manchester. Wes was spot on last season and I have no reason to doubt that he'll be correct this season.

And pray tell why is Manchester United " A fucking shit club"?

I don't see Moyes winning the league in his maiden season with Man U. Fergie was worth at least 10 points a season; most teams and managers playing Man U under him were beaten in the tunnel before the match, and I think we all know how most of the refs were scared of him. Fergie had the aura, the fear factor, and the proven track record of winning that league, over and over again.

In short: The premier league was fergie's bitch. Moyes managed Everton for 11 years and failed to win anything. Not really the same fear factor, is it? I think we are going to see just how good Fergie was with the fairly average squad he has had the last few years. One thing is certain: Man U won't be winning the league (effectively) in February next year like they did this season past.

Wow....surprising that ex Man U player and Moyes' lap dog - a.k.a Phil Neville - expects them to retain the title! who'd a thunk it, hey?

"If you just take one instance - Sir Alex Ferguson not being in the dugout at United - that gives hope to all the other Premier League clubs.

"And then you've got the 'Special One' Jose Mourinho, who lights up any league that he's in because he's just pure box office in everything that he does - this is going to be one special season."

Neville played under Moyes at Everton for eight years before retiring this summer and expects United to retain the title despite Ferguson's retirement.

He told BBC Sport: "Manchester United will be the favourites and they will be my tip to win the Premier League, but you could throw a blanket over the top five and that's what makes it so special."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22971009

Wow....surprising that ex Man U player and Moyes' lap dog - a.k.a Phil Neville - expects them to retain the title! who'd a thunk it, hey?

"If you just take one instance - Sir Alex Ferguson not being in the dugout at United - that gives hope to all the other Premier League clubs.

"And then you've got the 'Special One' Jose Mourinho, who lights up any league that he's in because he's just pure box office in everything that he does - this is going to be one special season."

Neville played under Moyes at Everton for eight years before retiring this summer and expects United to retain the title despite Ferguson's retirement.

He told BBC Sport: "Manchester United will be the favourites and they will be my tip to win the Premier League, but you could throw a blanket over the top five and that's what makes it so special."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22971009

Moyes has got the best out average or discarded players at Everton - at Man Utd in theory he should have have the chance to work with ( and attract ) better players

same as his successor who as also stepped up from Wigan ...........poor Wigan seem doomed now ...their best players will probably leave now

Moyes has got the best out average or discarded players at Everton - at Man Utd in theory he should have have the chance to work with ( and attract ) better players

same as his successor who as also stepped up from Wigan ...........poor Wigan seem doomed now ...their best players will probably leave now

Fair enough. I still don't see how that makes Man U favourites. Will the top overseas players want to come to Man U to work with an unproven Moyes? We shall see, I guess.

Fair enough. I still don't see how that makes Man U favourites. Will the top overseas players want to come to Man U to work with an unproven Moyes? We shall see, I guess.

They'll get top 4 maybe the league cup, they won't win the league. They'll do very badly in Europe especially now it's going to be Moyes V managers like Ancelotti, Pellegrini and Guardiola. He's even got to battle Mourinho in the prem and FA cup.

They'll get top 4 maybe the league cup, they won't win the league. They'll do very badly in Europe especially now it's going to be Moyes V managers like Ancelotti, Pellegrini and Guardiola. He's even got to battle Mourinho in the prem and FA cup.

Trouble is if they don't finish top four one year , two years or more how many years will he get ? Utd gave Fergie that chance which these days they can;t give to Moyes

Archived