Hey Hey What Can I Do

I have to admit that it took me a very long time to finally "get" what the band was going for with "Hats Off"...listening to older, more Delta-style blues, as well as the bootlegged alternate take, definitely helped, as did a good listen to Harper's own music.

• 4 months later...

I think Poor Tom would've fit perfect right after Gallows Poll. And in my opinion I think HHWCID could have been after OOTT and have taken Friends off (I never thought that fit at all, at least between Imigrant Somg and Celebration Day) I think Zep just got too stoned and forgot about songs lol afterall they barely put time into making studio albums, it was their 3rd album and they just started! It's added as a bonus track on Coda which the typical copy of Coda doesn't include it, but I got the definitive collection and it was on there. I think Baby Come On Home should've been on Zep I.

I think Poor Tom would've fit perfect right after Gallows Poll. And in my opinion I think HHWCID could have been after OOTT and have taken Friends off (I never thought that fit at all, at least between Imigrant Somg and Celebration Day) I think Zep just got too stoned and forgot about songs lol afterall they barely put time into making studio albums, it was their 3rd album and they just started! It's added as a bonus track on Coda which the typical copy of Coda doesn't include it, but I got the definitive collection and it was on there. I think Baby Come On Home should've been on Zep I.

I agree, Poor Tom would go well beside Gallows Pole considering they share a similar tone in the stories they tell. But perhaps that is why Zeppelin chose to keep Poor Tom off in the first place.

HHWCID should have been on Coda. I was really surprised that it was not, I think that song alone would have really increased that album's sales. I remember lots of radio stations playing it in the early 80's (when Coda came out) like it was some lost LZ song that had just been dug up (even though all of us die-hard fans knew it was on the back side of the Immigrant Song 45 released some 10 years earlier)!

• 10 months later...

HHWCID means so much to me....its one of my all time favorite Zeppelin tracks....its got a mystical quality...just a really weird outsider of a song...what i would give to have been in on the sessions for it...does anyone know anything about the sessions for this song?

• 2 weeks later...

I first heard HHWCID when i bought the 'This is Led Zeppelin' australian ep back in the late 70s.I remember wondering why this great song wasn't on any album.Yes it should have been on Coda(its a short lp,plenty of room)but more importantly on the deluxe zep3.By the way I love HOTRH.

Had CDs been around back in 1968 and beyond, I'm sure we would have seen all these extra songs added to each release. This biggest problem in the vinyl days was determining which of your songs would make it onto the two sides of a record, which was about 27 minutes a side. You not only had to figure out time constraints, but also a good song-to-song sequence. I'm sure these time issues factored heavily into song recording, knowing that a mamoth song, say "In My Time of Dying" or "Achilles Last Stand" would eat up a big chunk of a side.

Also ,the shorter the time on a side of vinyl the more dynamic or louder it would be due to the wider grooves.Eddie van Halen once said that a lot of people were complaining that their lps were two short. This was about the time of Diver Down which is lucky to get half hour total.His view was for the reasons above and as well as making it louder.To me all Led Zeps lps sounded great because they weren't over long(except Dazed and Confused on TSRTS)

• 2 weeks later...

HHWCID should have been on Coda. I was really surprised that it was not, I think that song alone would have really increased that album's sales. I remember lots of radio stations playing it in the early 80's (when Coda came out) like it was some lost LZ song that had just been dug up (even though all of us die-hard fans knew it was on the back side of the Immigrant Song 45 released some 10 years earlier)!

I believe it could not have been included on the original Coda because the band was at that time contractually obliged to deliver one more album of 'new' material and HHWCID had technically already been released.

Archived