What was the highest price paid for a 2007 O2 ticket

Just spoke about the concert with someone today, and about the fact that so many people wanted to get in.

I have seen some tickets offered on Ebay, and someone at the concert offered me a large amount of cash to buy mine (which I happily declined).

Now I wonder, what is the highest price someone has paid for a ticket?

Be it yourself or maybe you did read about it........I am eager to know.

I paid £1550 and I have no regrets at all. I'm only a regular working bloke, but it really was money well spent. It took me the best part of a year to pay it back, but you've got to chase your dreams sometimes (and have the permission of your wife).

Reswati,

I seem to recall at the time someone paid £83,000 for a pair of tickets. I am sure the proceeds were for charity.

"A pair of tickets for Led Zeppelin's reunion concert has been sold today for £83,000.

The tickets were for sale as part of a charity auction for BBC's annual Children In Need appeal, and Radio 2 listener Kenneth Donnell in Glasgow nabbed the tickets.

Donnell won the auction for the tickets that were originally worth £125 and only available through a ballot style lottery.

Though for his cash, he will also get the added treat of seeing Led Zeppelin rehearse prior to their headline show at London's 02 Arena on December 10."

Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/led-zeppelin/led-zep-reunion-tickets-go-for-83000-news#Zr0JkrS4cJmXwros.99

Just spoke about the concert with someone today, and about the fact that so many people wanted to get in.

I have seen some tickets offered on Ebay, and someone at the concert offered me a large amount of cash to buy mine (which I happily declined).

I don't know what those numbers mean,how much are they in US dollars...I would have paid anything!

I paid £1550 and I have no regrets at all. I'm only a regular working bloke, but it really was money well spent. It took me the best part of a year to pay it back, but you've got to chase your dreams sometimes (and have the permission of your wife).

100 British Pound Sterling equals
153.01 US Dollar
Oh wow,I would have paid 10 times if not more if I could have been able to go..I paid that for ac/dc tickets last winter

Reswati,

I seem to recall at the time someone paid over £100.000 for a pair of tickets. I am sure the proceeds were for charity. (at least I hope they were!!)

I think in the instance detailed above, the tickets were donated to the Children In Need charity by the band with the permission to auction them.

I thought they used some elaborate ID-matching scheme so that tickets could not be resold to other buyers....

Reswati,

I posted about the guy who paid £83,000 for the O2 tickets in the ChildLine auction. He's the brother of the guy who put the Jason Bonham drumsticks up for sale on this site. Remember, you were too busy in a Dutch supermarket with a chicken drumstick to notice. :D Here's another article:-

Led Zeppelin to get heavy on ticket touts

By Joanna Corrigan

12:01AM GMT 10 Dec 2007

Led Zeppelin fans who bought tickets online for the band's first performance in almost 20 years could be turned away from the concert because of stringent security measures.

Touts have been selling tickets to the band's reunion on auction websites such as eBay despite organisers trying to prevent anyone apart from winners of the official ballot from attending the show at London's O2 arena.

Only fans with a special code obtained in the ballot, photographic ID and the credit card that paid for the tickets will be allowed in, meaning some who bought tickets in good faith could be shut out.

Sellers on eBay have been asking up to £1,550 for a pair of tickets, with one asking £4,000 for two and promising to grant access to the VIP guest area.

Chris Goodman, spokesman for the band, told fans not to believe the touts and said they would only have themselves to blame if they spent a fortune on tickets that failed to get them in.

He said: "Everybody has been warned that they cannot get through in any other way and if they choose to go on unofficial sites, that is the chance they take."

The announcement of a Led Zeppelin reunion at a tribute concert for Ahmet Ertegun, the late founder of Atlantic Records, provoked huge interest around the world.

More than a million people took part in the ballot. Successful applicants were given a pass code which enabled them to buy two tickets from for £125 each. They then had to pick up a non-transferable wristband before the concert to ensure entry.

Resourceful ballot winners who only needed one ticket were still trying to get round the strict security by selling their spare one in advance for up to £1,000 and arranging to meet the buyer before the concert so they could collect them together.

But an O2 insider said there had been problems with a companies trying to sell the pass codes. Some people were "bound to have been turned away" because of fraudulent tickets.

Led Zeppelin, formed in 1968, were one of the most influential bands of the 1970s with songs such as Whole Lotta Love and Stairway To Heaven. They split in 1980 after the death of the drummer John Bonham.

Kenneth Donnell, 25, who was not born in 1980, spent £83,000 on two tickets in a BBC Children in Need auction.

There were rumours that they would use an ID system, but it didn't happen.

Exactly. If I remember correctly weren't the details laid out on the lottery site where we entered our name, email and what not in order to get a chance to win the opportunity to purchase tickets? [Exactly as kenog's post outlines, how did I miss reading that the first time through this thread?!] Only the person buying the tickets and their guest were going to be able to even get a hold of the tickets and then they would be cross checked at the gates. I did not even realize that it was possible to purchase tickets from alternate sources until it was too late. I must admit that I was pretty bitter when I found out that the ID checking wasn't as stringent as it was announced it was going to be because I would've paid a pretty penny had I known that I could have actually got into the show. But in the end I should have paid closer attention so it was NFBM.

• 5 months later...

...not the most expensive, but costly nonetheless...

VIPs to pay Pounds 2,500 for Led Zep tickets

VIP tickets for the Led Zeppelin reunion concert will go on sale tomorrow

at a starting price of Pounds 2,500 each, writes Dipesh Gadher

Sunday Times (London, England) (Nov 11, 2007)

Byline: Dipesh Gadher

IT'S a whole lotta cash.

Three pairs for the sold-out gig at London's O2 Arena will be auctioned for charity, with the price expected to push above Pounds 10,000 a pair.

The tickets, which include the after-show party, will become the most expensive for a concert.

Barbra Streisand charged up to Pounds 500 for top seats this year, while tickets to see the Rolling Stones at Twickenham in the summer sold for up to Pounds 150.

More than 1m people applied for tickets to see Led Zeppelin re-form at the 20,000-seat arena, the first time the band has played a full concert since 1980.

Three original members -Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones -will be joined by drummer Jason Bonham, standing in for his late father John.

The one-off concert on December 10 is a tribute to Ahmet Ertegun, the late founder of Atlantic Records, who signed the band in 1968. Led Zeppelin went on to become one of the most influential bands in rock history.

The auction is to be held on Seatwave.com, an online ticket exchange, in aid of the Action for Brazil's Children Trust, of which Page is the founding patron.

"These are the private jets of tickets," said Joe Cohen, head of Seatwave.

There were many offers on ebay to be the "partner" of one of the lottery winners. On average, these were going for approx £1000. I tried every other way to get some tickets, but eventually went the ebay route, paying just over £400 ( a snip, really).

My partner for the night was a policeman who spent the evening telling me how many other big names he'd prefer to have seen. Sitting alongside us were other couples where one partner had won the lottery and was a fan, accompanied by a friend or spouse who was much more lukewarm about attending.

None of that dented my joy at being there.

But it illustrated how flawed the system was: the 02 could have been filled many times over by real fans, but the auction system meant half-hearted fans got tickets, and their even more half-hearted partners got them too.

On the ID system, I felt we had been checked twice over ( once to get the armbands, again to get access on the night) .

A better outcome was that of ( I think he was called) Front Row Dave, who has posted on these forums. He had ended up with a guy he'd never met before and they both saw the soundcheck as well as the concert. They also appeared as guests on BBC Breakfast talking about their experience of the concert.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this sounds unreal, but seriously I got mine for nothing. A friend of mine from years back got one for his mate and he didn't want to go!! So he let me have it or it would have been wasted. Seeing as he got me into Zeppelin in the early 70's and we'd been to see them at Knebworth on the 11th he felt it was fitting I should get to see them at the O2 with him. Thing was it was a day before my birthday as well so it was a seriously unexpected gift I never even considered. To be honest the whole getting a ticket saga was something I didn't think a lot about and seeing this show was seriously too far out of my reach. I was really lucky. There was an elaborate security check which included a special bracelet/ tag you had to get when you registered to pick up your ticket at the O2. It all had to match up to get a ticket, you wouldn't be allowed in the arena wothout the bracelet ID security. We got our tickets the day before as they were reserved for my mate. He knew the promoter of the event so with some smart moves he reserved the tickets. I would never have got a ticket if not for my mate though. 

• 3 months later...

I was lucky enough to see Zep in Freedom Hall in Louisville Kentucky in 1977. The hall was oversold and it was general admission. You can picture the scene, a mad rush and push to the front as soon as the lights went out. The push never let up. I would have done whatever it took to see the reunion o2 concert. Strangely, even with the internet, I never heard a word about the concert being held until years later??? Same as the Page Plant shows. I never knew they were doing them until years later. I thought either the radio or the internet would have provided some heads up at the time of what was going on? I guess I must have had my head in hole and been oblivious to the world at those times???

Archived