I'd have to say Since I've Been Loving You on TSRTS would have to be my favorite. Tea for One and Ten Years gone would probably be my next two. The raw emotion and passion in the Since I've Been Loving You solo just puts it at the top.

For studio work I'd pick Tea For One, Achiles' Last Stand, Stairway (I'll take the studio solo over any live one YMMV), For Your Life, etc etc

Live, there are just too many to choose from...

(snip) However, my absolute favorite Jimmy solo will always be the "Stairway" solo from TSRTS. That solo is hands down the best guitar solo I have ever heard.

You realize thats quite possibly not from one solo, but possibly cut together from three solos played over three nights?

• 2 weeks later...

You realize thats quite possibly not from one solo, but possibly cut together from three solos played over three nights?

Eddie Edwards will educate you! The original film and album feature the solo untouched from the 27th July concert; the 2007 remix features the same solo, albeit retooled by Kevin Shirley. Details in the link.

OP: While perhaps not his "best" solo, I think my favourite is from 27th June, 1972, as featured on How the West Was Won.

Studio-- a personal favorite of mine is Nobody's Fault But Mine

Live-- I dunno, there are so many outstanding ones with Zep.

Probably Heartbreaker, when i saw him with Plant in '98 in St. Louis. I saw several other shows, but that night he nailed it!

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of '77 bashers, but I had some time to kill this weekend and watched a few performances on youtube of Seattle and they are embarrassing. I'm by far no aficionado of all '77 boots, but everything I've heard from that era is pretty damn bad to these ears. I've heard the argument that visually it was stunning and IMO some of the coolest live photos I've seen attest to that, but I'll take great, tight live music over satin suits and cool poses any day of the week. In my humble opinion they were a wreck. Also, my wife came in while I was listening to/watching one the videos and actually started laughing( and she's a zep fan).

Many people rubbish Seattle because of the video and audio quality isn't up to par. The performance isn't even bad compared to some of the crappy 77 shows.

I wasnt there, but I wonder if the drugs were causing certain led zeppelin members to um, "under perform" onstage in 1977... compared to what they were capable of just a few years earlier.

I've heard all kinds of horror stories. But every performance I've ever listened to all bootleg, is just erratic. One number will sound fantastic and then the next one is riddled with errors or something from Page which um wasnt exactly his best work.

My 2 favorites at the moment, (because as with all things Zep my favorites change when I fall upon a different version that I might not have caught the nuances of before!)

Thank You from the BBC always gives me chills and I have to crank it up!

And SIBLY from the 2007 o2 Shepperton rehearsal is pure Jimmy-genius! B)

Peace!

Archived