Guess I am a nerd because I buy. :) But only officially released stuff. I'd rather give my money to Zeppelin than some bootlegger.

There's no need to give money to bootleggers these days, just download the recordings for free! Like Melcore said, Google is yer friend. But I digress...

Aside from the obligatory mentions of Blueberry Hill, Eddie and Badgeholders, I'd like to give a shout out to the 28/2/75 Baton Rouge audience recording. Mighty fine tape.

When it comes to "best" Led Zeppelin concert, it is extremely subjective...it all comes down to personal taste and preference in the long run. For instance, some people like the early blues-heavy setlists; others prefer the "Physical Graffiti"-"Presence"-era songs. If we're strictly talking audio quality, then obviously, the official releases of "The Song Remains the Same", "How the West Was Won", and the Led Zeppelin DVD including 1.9.70 Royal Albert Hall, 1973 MSG, 1975 Earl's Court and 1979 Knebworth are the tops.

After that, once you get in the "unofficial" realm of audience tapes and soundboards, the list grows exponentially.

Buying is for losers and nerds, just download it for free!

I'm proud to be a nerd. ;)

Yes I'm proud to be a nerd too! I know you can download for free but choose not to. The stuff released by Zeppelin is great! And the anticipation building up to the next thing remastered and released by JP makes the wait worth it. "Free" just means that the artist doesn't get paid for their art.

quote name="Strider" post="692302" timestamp="1368923006"]When it comes to "best" Led Zeppelin concert, it is extremely subjective...it all comes down to personal taste and preference in the long run. For instance, some people like the early blues-heavy setlists; others prefer the "Physical Graffiti"-"Presence"-era songs. If we're strictly talking audio quality, then obviously, the official releases of "The Song Remains the Same", "How the West Was Won", and the Led Zeppelin DVD including 1.9.70 Royal Albert Hall, 1973 MSG, 1975 Earl's Court and 1979 Knebworth are the tops.

After that, once you get in the "unofficial" realm of audience tapes and soundboards, the list grows exponentially.

I'm proud to be a nerd. ;)

Yes I'm proud to be a nerd too! I know you can download for free but choose not to. The stuff released by Zeppelin is great! And the anticipation building up to the next thing remastered and released by JP makes the wait worth it. "Free" just means that the artist doesn't get paid for their art.

Thing is, Susan, when it comes to unofficially released live recordings, the band doesn't make any money off of them whether they're made available for free or not ;) With all due respect to Peter Grant, his overly self righteous attitude towards bootlegs and the decidedly heavy handed way he dealt with individual bootleggers ultimately did not affect the band's coffers one iota. They weren't recording the shows themselves, so there were no plans to release them and therefore make money off of them. Ya dig? :P

Let's face it: what live material Jimmy Page has deigned to release officially only whets the appetite of a fan. Simply put, one has to delve into the live Zeppelin bootlegs to fully appreciate what these guys were all about as performers, the official releases just don't do them justice. And it goes without saying that if Page were to start releasing 'official bootlegs' ala the Stones or Neil Young we'd all buy the official versions same as we scarfed up the boots...

The problem is that every LZ official live release takes yeeeeeeaaaars to materialize. Hence, we fans are desperate to get our hands on whatever Zepp puts out. Jimmy doesn´t believe in bootlegs so he would rather die instead of releasing official bootleg kind-of material. He has sued bootleggers more than once.

In my opinion, Jimmy must realize that FANS made LZ huge, and the band owes them something. He must show fans that were not that time around what LZ was. I thank him a lot for preparing himself personally,(and not letting any incompetent to do so) with the best intentions and care the forthcoming editions of the studio albums. There are not loads of LZ multi-tracked concerts, but I would be delighted if Jimmy would release whatever exists.

The problem is that every LZ official live release takes yeeeeeeaaaars to materialize. Hence, we fans are desperate to get our hands on whatever Zepp puts out. Jimmy doesn´t believe in bootlegs so he would rather die instead of releasing official bootleg kind-of material. He has sued bootleggers more than once.

...And has had his picture taken buying bootlegs in Japan on more than one occasion as well ;) Page isn't as anti-bootleg as he'd like people to believe.

Buying is for losers and nerds, just download it for free!

Without someone buying, we wouldn't be able to "download it for free."

...And has had his picture taken buying bootlegs in Japan on more than one occasion as well ;) Page isn't as anti-bootleg as he'd like people to believe.

I'm uncertain if he actually purchases them.

Without someone buying, we wouldn't be able to "download it for free."

I'm uncertain if he actually purchases them.

Everyone realises I was joking, right? o_o

If you look in It Might Get Loud, you can see Jimmy owns a copy of the famous vinyl bootleg, "The Final Option".

Everyone realises I was joking, right? o_o

If you look in It Might Get Loud, you can see Jimmy owns a copy of the famous vinyl bootleg, "The Final Option".

Tone can be difficult to read. :P

That one does stick out, but his wall of music appears to contain other treasures as well.

I just splashed out on the 4LP set of 'Destroyer' that was released in 1982, more as a collectors item as its easier to just play the files off my computer but it will still be cool to have. I own a couple of dvds and a silver cd set of the 27/4/69 show but apart from that my collection is all in either FLAC or MP3. I don't see much point in buying a lot of them however it is cool to have a few of them in physical form.

Archived