Is Live Blueberry Hill the only time Led Zeppelin performed Out on the Tiles? Other than the intro to Black Dog and Moby Dick.

OOTT was also performed at the evening show at Madison Square Garden, September 19, 1970. Though the sound quality isn't as good as Blueberry Hill, the performance is better.

Of course, it is possible that they played OOTT at some other concert...we just don't have tape of it as evidence.

Thanks

OOTT was also performed at the evening show at Madison Square Garden, September 19, 1970. Though the sound quality isn't as good as Blueberry Hill, the performance is better.

Of course, it is possible that they played OOTT at some other concert...we just don't have tape of it as evidence.

Hi

I quite like the Earls Court stuff, also Southampton, Blueberry Hill is good, but all choices very subjective, I tend to like different things depending on my mood.

Does Jimmy buy bootlegs, I thought the retailers in Japan were happy to let him have what he wanted just for the photo opportunity.

Andy

Does Jimmy buy bootlegs, I thought the retailers in Japan were happy to let him have what he wanted just for the photo opportunity.

Andy

Whether Page actually pays for them or not -and most likely he doesn't- is a moot point...it makes any sort of anti-bootleg stance from James Patrick Page (feigned or otherwise) bullshit and very hypocritical. After all, he actually went so far as to solicit people to send him audience filmed material for use on the 2003 DVD, and also used the "The Song Remains The Same" audio from one of the best and most famous Zeppelin bootlegs of all (21/6/77) on the DVD as well.

I'd be willing to bet that Page, Plant, Jonesy and Jason Bonham all have impressive collections of Led Zeppelin bootlegs...however they may have acquired them, they have them, and that's what matters.

Whether Page actually pays for them or not -and most likely he doesn't- is a moot point...it makes any sort of anti-bootleg stance from James Patrick Page (feigned or otherwise) bullshit and very hypocritical. After all, he actually went so far as to solicit people to send him audience filmed material for use on the 2003 DVD, and also used the "The Song Remains The Same" audio from one of the best and most famous Zeppelin bootlegs of all (21/6/77) on the DVD as well.

I'd be willing to bet that Page, Plant, Jonesy and Jason Bonham all have impressive collections of Led Zeppelin bootlegs...however they may have acquired them, they have them, and that's what matters.

Thank you!! I do not feel bad one bit for paying for and owning bootlegs. IMHO I am not taking any money from the band since they cleaned up playing live for all of those years.

Plus, in the scene in IMGL when Jimmy is listening to the Rumble in his music room, are there not bootlegs scattered throughout his record/cd collection?

Whether or not money is exchanged, owning bootlegs constitutes consent.

Thank you!! I do not feel bad one bit for paying for and owning bootlegs. IMHO I am not taking any money from the band since they cleaned up playing live for all of those years.

Well, as already pointed out, the band isn't losing any money on unofficial concert recordings considering that they never planned on recording/releasing those shows in the first place...ultimately, ya really can't fault some enterprising bootlegger for stepping in and filling the gap, as it were.

Whether or not money is exchanged, owning bootlegs constitutes consent.

"Once they paid for their ticket, it's fair game." - Jimmy Page

There's yer 'consent', right there. No, Peter Grant didn't look at it that way but Peter's not around any more, now, is he?

(I know: somehow this discussion of 'best concert recordings' keeps harking back to the ethics of bootlegging, but I figure since the two topics really are entwined in a lot of ways, what the fuck :lol: )

​"Four Blocks in the Snow" An audience/soundboard matrix from February 12, 1975 in New York City is one of the best sounding shows I've heard!

You are correct, sir: Four Blocks In The Snow is probably the Gold Standard for matrix-type recordings. No, it's not the greatest performance from the '75 tour, but it is probably the best recording available...fortunately Bluecongo had a good '75 soundboard as well as a stellar audience tape to work with for that one.

I absolutely LOVE a good matrix! All the excitement of an audience tape: crowd reactions, super deep bass and up-front (LOUD) guitar, with the "perfection" of a soundboard: clear, non-warbly keyboards, clean upper bass and the pristine vocals (sometimes a problem for Percy!), However, BEWARE!, a bad matrix is absolutely irritating to listen to. Really,there are not that many matrix bootlegs of LZ that I can recommend.

Try Godfather's ''That's Alright, New York''! It's something more than just a SBD+AUD Matrix.

Hear hear! I rank Godfatherecords "That's Alright, New York" as the best version of 2.12.75 out there and on a par with such official releases as "The Song Remains the Same". Same goes for their version of the 2.16.75 St. Louis show..."Roll Saint Louis Roll" blows EVSD's "St. Louis Blues" out of the water!

What is the best version of Blueberry Hill? I like Winston's "The Great Love Affair" and the Cobla Standard "Live on Blueberry Hill". Does anything beat those 2 titles?

What are the best sounding shows from Aug-Sept 1970?

Hear hear! I rank Godfatherecords "That's Alright, New York" as the best version of 2.12.75 out there and on a par with such official releases as "The Song Remains the Same". Same goes for their version of the 2.16.75 St. Louis show..."Roll Saint Louis Roll" blows EVSD's "St. Louis Blues" out of the water!

Godfather Records is well on its way to becoming the premier bootleg label nowadays...what's their secret?

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of performance and quality...

Blueberry Hill (of course)

For Badgeholders only 06/23/77

Landover Maryland 5/25/77 (great soundboard)

Montreux 8/7/1971 (Robert Plant is on fire, one of his best shows)

1971-09-09 South Hampton (4 Zoso songs played before they were released, great show)

just a few that come to mind.

Godfather Records is well on its way to becoming the premier bootleg label nowadays...what's their secret?

I have often wondered if Godfather has access to a professional studio. Their releases sound so well-mixed, so polished, like official releases. It sounds like something more than just a guy fiddling with the sound on a computer.

In terms of performance and quality...

Blueberry Hill (of course)

For Badgeholders only 06/23/77

Landover Maryland 5/25/77 (great soundboard)

Montreux 8/7/1971 (Robert Plant is on fire, one of his best shows)

1971-09-09 South Hampton (4 Zoso songs played before they were released, great show)

just a few that come to mind.

Are you sure you don't mean the 1970 Montreux? That is a great sounding show, as well as being an incendiary performance. 1971 Montreux sounds like it's recorded outside the venue and there's all sorts of tape fluctuations. Remember, the OP's intent was to know of the best sounding shows.

The same goes for the 9/9/71 Hampton Roads show, the sound of which I find muddy and dull. The age of the tape clearly is apparent, and it sounds like cassette tapes used to sound when recorded with Dolby...all the top end and brightness is lost. Compare the Hampton 71 show with Orlando 71 or Toronto 71 and those shows sound way better, way fresher than Hampton. The performances, especially in the case of Orlando, are better, too.

Booo.

As someone who can do some rudimentary fiddling with the sound on a computer :lol: I don't doubt that Godfather Records does their thing on pro equipment, Strider. The sound quality of their stuff is too good to be a mere DAW, Sound Forge or Audacity...when it comes to 'audiophile' sound quality (more often than not a laughable concept when it comes to bootlegs) Godfather is like a Steely Dan record or something...

I have often wondered if Godfather has access to a professional studio. Their releases sound so well-mixed, so polished, like official releases. It sounds like something more than just a guy fiddling with the sound on a computer.

to me Godfather label is just CRAP sound..just good packaging.

You're either listening to faulty discs, faulty downloads, or thru a crappy sound system. Or you're just insane...or a bitter employee of Empress Valley Supreme Disc.

I've done A-B tests with Godfather's "That's Alright New York" vs. EVSD's "Flying Circus" vs. Red Devil's "Madison Square Graffiti" with friends and everybody agreed the Godfather version of the 2.12.75 soundboard kicked ass over the others.

The same result occurred when comparing Godfather's "Rock Saint Louis Roll" to EVSD's "St. Louis Blues".

Whether it's 4.24.69, 8.31.69, 10.10.69, 1.9.70, 9.14.71, 2.19.72, or the January 73 UK shows, I have found the Godfather versions to be the best overall among the other labels. Of course, other labels have released more shows than Godfather, and there are some(Wendy, Genuine Masters) that have spectacular sounding boots of shows that Godfather hasn't released.

But to issue a blanket statement that Godfatherecords sounds like crap suggests an ulterior motive. Hell, some of their releases sound so superior that I've known a couple record stores to play them in-house.

You're either listening to faulty discs, faulty downloads, or thru a crappy sound system. Or you're just insane...or a bitter employee of Empress Valley Supreme Disc.

But to issue a blanket statement that Godfatherecords sounds like crap suggests an ulterior motive. Hell, some of their releases sound so superior that I've known a couple record stores to play them in-house.

Or he could just be talking out of his arse, as people seem increasingly prone to do on this site...I mean, based on his other posts, he praises the Beezelbub 'label' fer chrissakes :lol: ...we're not really talking about an expert here I don't think, Strider...

So Nutrocker and Strider, are you intimating if Godfather got a copy of "Not For Sale," May 18,1977, in raw source cassette copies, not the copies I had digitized, they could digitize and possibly stir voodoo magic in their cauldron as they saw fit, and that might expand our minds a little further?

Archived