This seems like really old news. But yes, I would think anyone can hear those three notes are exactly the same. Although Rival Sons cunningly tuned their guitars down half a step to try and throw us off (OOTT is in standard tuning) Which didn't work because those three notes are exactly the same.

On a side note: I think it's cool that Crispin Glover grew his hair and decided to front Rival Sons.

The only group I ever listened to that sounded like a direct rip-off of Zeppelin was Kingdom Come. The guitar sound/riffs sounded just like Jimmy and the lead singer obviously tried really hard to immitate Robert. When I was just getting into Zeppelin, I heard Kingdom Come's song "Get it On" on the radio and thought it was Zeppelin when I heard the opening riff! I think there is a diffference between paying homage to a band you liked by copying certain things and directly ripping them off on every level, essentially trying to be them.

I've been listening to Rival Sons lately and I notice they seem to like to take classic songs and perhaps pay homage to them in a way? The song, 'All the way' reminds me a lot of 'Some Kind of Wonderful' and the guitar part when it echoes sounds exactly like it comes from another 70's song but I just cannot remember which one.
I enjoy listening to them because whatever ideas they 'borrow' they seem to expand on them and turn them into something else, plus they rock pretty good too.

• 5 weeks later...

You can definitely hear the influence on their sound but I really like them (bought their album Head Down recently on a recommendation) - looking forward to catching them in the UK later this year. Singer has got a great voice and he doesn't sound the same on every track.

Remember Kingdom Come? Some of their stuff was a blatant rip off and not well done either.

Edit: sorry Honeydrip79 just noticed your comments on Kingdom Come. I agree 100%

Just a bit.

Rival Son is a poor man's version of The Black Crowes!

Yet The Black Crowes never really had a discernible Zep influence or flavour in their music? it's more Stones, Humble Pie and Faces with The Crowes. And the general consensus seems to be that Rival Sons have more than a hint of Zep in their oeuvre. So I'm not sure if that equation works.

The only group I ever listened to that sounded like a direct rip-off of Zeppelin was Kingdom Come. The guitar sound/riffs sounded just like Jimmy and the lead singer obviously tried really hard to immitate Robert. When I was just getting into Zeppelin, I heard Kingdom Come's song "Get it On" on the radio and thought it was Zeppelin when I heard the opening riff! I think there is a diffference between paying homage to a band you liked by copying certain things and directly ripping them off on every level, essentially trying to be them.

Saw them on the 'Monsters of Rock' tour in '88. They opened the show and boy did they try to sound like Zep. Between Plant and Page playing on each others disc that year, the Atlantic Records reunion, White Snake riding high and then the emergence of Kingdom Come, it was truly a Zeppelin renaissance period. For better or worse....

I don't agree with this.

That they don't have Zep flavour, or that they don't sound like the bands I mentioned?

I'm a big Crowes fan (seen them live twice) which doesn't make my opinion more valid than yours. But from their debut album to "Lions" the only time I've really thought "that sounds "Zepesque" would be "Cosmic Friend" which has a "The Ocean" vibe and "Go Tell the Congregation" which has some Zep style riffing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oUFg9mvw0gc#t=104s

I don't doubt that the Crowes weren't influenced by Zep; I know for a fact that Rich Robinson is, as I've heard him say it, many times. I just don't hear it that often in their work. Maybe you do, each to their own.

Archived