Led Zeppelin's Finest Moment

JaredR59

I would isolate this further to 06/21 - 06/23. The final and true peak. Never again would Bonham and Page both be at their very best during the same shows. Further Plant's voice is insane and Jones confidently kicks ass. They had many good moments before and a few after, but this, THIS, is the pinnacle - acclaim, sex, music, drugs, confidence, stamina, guts, ambition, skill, drive, bravado, telepathy, perfection.

I will isolate it even further: 6/23/77, OtHaFA, when Page hits those three chords to signal the return to the verses. Highest point of their career!

I'm with you ZeppMan93. Led Zeppelin perfection.

interesting

at the time and most times since, this show is not considered among their best or near their best by so many. Yet- several others hold this one song on this one performance in highest regard. I don't know why such disparity.

I would isolate this further to 06/21 - 06/23. The final and true peak. Never again would Bonham and Page both be at their very best during the same shows. Further Plant's voice is insane and Jones confidently kicks ass. They had many good moments before and a few after, but this, THIS, is the pinnacle - acclaim, sex, music, drugs, confidence, stamina, guts, ambition, skill, drive, bravado, telepathy, perfection.

You make a good case. There's just something special about those shows...the latter three LA '77 performances are good shows (especially my favourite of the six, the epic 27/6/77) but IMO the 25-27 June run just doesn't have the same magic as the first three nights. The Badgeholders show in particular, in spite of the technical boo boos, is one of their greatest performances, if not the greatest.

Sue, the best moment is ACTUALLY August 12, 1968 - September 24, 1980.

Nitpicker :lol: We'll say yer both right!

Finest Moment? Tough question, no doubt.

For me, this could change from day to day. One day it could be a live version of Over The Hills And Far Away from Dallas 75' or How Many More Times from the Texas International Pop Festival 69'. Maybe Heartbreaker from Vancouver 70' or In My Time Of Dying from 75'.

The more I dwell on this question, the more I believe it was that first day they got together to see if it would work. Without that day, they might not have formed.

interesting

at the time and most times since, this show is not considered among their best or near their best by so many. Yet- several others hold this one song on this one performance in highest regard. I don't know why such disparity.

DK: I don't hold this particular show in highest regard - just this performance of Kashmir. ^^

You've returned!

...am back sir and so glad to be back. Had a life diversion to take care of family for an extended period. So much to do and looking forward to catching up on enjoying you and the entire forum.

"I second this. The whole concert feels a bit sluggish to me, but nevertheless songs like Kashmir I think shine and like I said, the whole atmosphere when they play it is awesome."

Both nights at Knebworth certain songs charged the air immediately. The affect on the audience was apparent. The first show, people got energized when the special moments washed over us. The second night it was the opposite. People got quiet and almost calm. During Achilles Last Stand it was so creepy quiet- instantly. The extended intro prior to In The Evening got people almost anxious. Same thing on No Quarter. The audience vibe ebbed and swung often from loud and almost naughty to a proper and reserved posture. Then it would swing back and forth all without notice. I have seen this phenom at several venues with large audiences and not just concerts. On the topic of "sluggish" I didn't notice it at the time but in review no doubt Bonham pushes and pulls tempo repeatedly as does Jones.

My point is that at Knebworth the crowd response to the intensity on stage reflected the intensity in kind- except sometimes it was a polar opposite of intensly quiet and still while the platform energy was amped. On the 11th people didn't seem to know what to do with Celebration Day until it was almost over. Really a strange thing to observe.

I continue to contemplate the question what is their finest moment.

Having the multiple resources like YouTube and boots that we now have, the azmith to me for a live performance is Houston 77 https://soundcloud.com/dallas-knebs/achilles-last-stand-houston77.

Emotionally, creatively and artistically for recording the band and conveying its essence to an audience- for me it is Battle of Evermore https://soundcloud.com/dallas-knebs/iv-boe-box-set-collectors

Many, many people on this board have a great deal to offer and have not. Would encourage you to do so.

Nice to see you back DK!

I have also been thinking this through. For me, TSRTS from 6/21/77 will always remain my favorite song moment. Between the insane level of energy on the part of the band and pandemania in the audience, I always thought it was a singular high point in their career. I don't really care if a soundboard ever surfaces for this show, because it will take away the dimension of the manner in which the crowd received them the beginning of that epic run of shows! What a vibe and performance!

I really like Communication Breakdown from Knebworth 79. Plant is gonzo there, his voice is completely manic, derailed. Page is great, his solo is beyond my comprehension.

Completely punk rock. I think its one of their best performances.

• 1 month later...

I really like Communication Breakdown from Knebworth 79. Plant is gonzo there, his voice is completely manic, derailed. Page is great, his solo is beyond my comprehension.

Completely punk rock. I think its one of their best performances.

Yeah a definite memorable moment and a shining light for what they could have done in 80 tour. Jones was on keyboards too much, with since, stairway and rain song. In my op, drop 2 of the 3, or all 3 and play rock songs...tiles,rover,custard pie,night flight,hots on and even south bound would have sounded great on that tour. A sloppy version of rover would be interesting forever....compared to another thin version of stairway. Achilles and Kashmir are enough epics for any show.

How everyone in music industry couldn't see how right the ramones music statement was is beyond me. Plus you'd think page would have wanted to play straight forward rock, would have been easier than playin hot dog. Would have been invigorating for the band and audience.

Top moment, the physical graffiti album.

From Wikipedia

<<

Led Zeppelin's 1973 European Tour was a concert tour of Europe by the English rock band. The tour commenced on 2 March and concluded on 2 April 1973.

This tour began just four weeks after Led Zeppelin's previous tour of the United Kingdom. It is notable for the crowd violence which occurred at some shows, with concerts at Marseilles and Lille being canceled as a result of riots by fans which had taken place at the band's earlier performances in France.[1]

Some critics consider Led Zeppelin to have been at their technical peak during this tour,[1][2] which took place shortly before the release of their fifth album. Several tracks from this album were performed on the tour, namely "Over the Hills and Far Away", "Dancing Days", "The Song Remains the Same", "The Rain Song" and "The Ocean".

>>

Would like to have one of this concert pro recorded to check.

I consider this their finest moment. Awesome every time I watch it. The whole ambiance when they play it is amazing.

dude, yes, it is a kick ass performance. but, I stopped watching after seeing bonham hit the wrong cymbal when the sound I heard was from another. C'mon Jimmy. We would all appreciate warts and all. Do a better job.

Hey, at least it isn't TSRTS dvd.

i am OCD. medication doesn't help, but I keep it an-y-way

Archived