The Best Zep Tribute?

Zoso2112

• 10 months later...

i dug around and found this old thread, because i wanted to add that i managed to get over to new orleans HOB this past weekend (6/19) and see the tribute band ZOSO for the first time. like many of you, i have seen the white and physical graffiti many times back in the 90's. i had promised myself to never see another tribute band until i saw steve and led zepagain (i have been an admirer from afar for more than awhile), but i haven't made it west yet. i broke that pledge because my girlfriend and my brother have never seen a zep cover show and the HOB in nola is a really good venue. i pulled out my vintage shirt collection prior, selected my favorite page shirt and showed up in plenty of time to get right in front of the stage. john mcdaniel is the jimmy page in this band and he just friggin' smokes! they stayed pretty much to '73 versions of everything from houses back to LZ1, with killer versions of the wanton song and kashmir thrown in. more than awesome vesions of 'd&c' 'the ocean', 'heartbreaker', 'thank you', 'when the levee breaks', 'ten years gone'! (with the bassplayer on 12 string and mcdaniel pulling the best licks from that song and making it sound great)'NQ, SIBLY, WLL, TSRTS, etc. the singer was above average and got better as the night progressed, the bassplayer/keys/JPJ was amazing, and the drummer was a downright beast! being in front, i thought the guitar was mixed down just a little, but with the drummer playing like his life depended on it, one does the best they can. they played for almost 2 1/2 hours; i payed $12 for my ticket and got way more than my money's worth...

again, without any hesitation, i thought john to be the best page i have ever seen, and told him so after the show. he did the act pretty good with most of page's stock moves but it was the playing that rang true. so, my group was blown away, had a great time and so did everyone else in the venue, from what i could see.

and as i still hope to someday see zepagain and the rest, i can with clear conscious highly recommend the show. beatbo gives this one 2 thumbs...way up!

ps...they got away with not playing 'stairway' and no one complained....

here is a clip of them doing kashmir: kashmir

i dug around and found this old thread, because i wanted to add that i managed to get over to new orleans HOB this past weekend (6/19) and see the tribute band ZOSO for the first time. like many of you, i have seen the white and physical graffiti many times back in the 90's. i had promised myself to never see another tribute band until i saw steve and led zepagain (i have been an admirer from afar for more than awhile), but i haven't made it west yet. i broke that pledge because my girlfriend and my brother have never seen a zep cover show and the HOB in nola is a really good venue. i pulled out my vintage shirt collection prior, selected my favorite page shirt and showed up in plenty of time to get right in front of the stage. john mcdaniel is the jimmy page in this band and he just friggin' smokes! they stayed pretty much to '73 versions of everything from houses back to LZ1, with killer versions of the wanton song and kashmir thrown in. more than awesome vesions of 'd&c' 'the ocean', 'heartbreaker', 'thank you', 'when the levee breaks', 'ten years gone'! (with the bassplayer on 12 string and mcdaniel pulling the best licks from that song and making it sound great)'NQ, SIBLY, WLL, TSRTS, etc. the singer was above average and got better as the night progressed, the bassplayer/keys/JPJ was amazing, and the drummer was a downright beast! being in front, i thought the guitar was mixed down just a little, but with the drummer playing like his life depended on it, one does the best they can. they played for almost 2 1/2 hours; i payed $12 for my ticket and got way more than my money's worth...

again, without any hesitation, i thought john to be the best page i have ever seen, and told him so after the show. he did the act pretty good with most of page's stock moves but it was the playing that rang true. so, my group was blown away, had a great time and so did everyone else in the venue, from what i could see.

and as i still hope to someday see zepagain and the rest, i can with clear conscious highly recommend the show. beatbo gives this one 2 thumbs...way up!

Hi Beatbo, nice to see you back mate,

That singer could pass for Robert anytime, easily the best I've ever seen and I've seen half a dozen at least, he just needs to refine his phrasing a little to capture Robert at his best. :thumbsup:

Very Kind Regards, Danny

There is a band out of Portland, OR called "No Quarter. I have never seen a better tribute band, the guitar player is a Jimmy Page clone, from the outfit, to the moves and most importantly his playing. The guy is note for note, he played TSRTS of of the live album note for note and even the sound was spot on.

He looked exactly like JP, he used the same equipment as well.

I saw Get The Led Out, they were fantastic!! They did the best Moby Dick I have ever heard in my life. They even played In The Light, The Lemon Song, and When The Levee Breaks. The bass player was really good and Bron-Yr-Aur was so sweet as well. They really are outstanding.

http://www.gtlorocks.com/

jiya, danny!

didn't you tell me once about your mates over there that do a zep show? catch me up, i miss ya friend!

wow, get the led out sounds great too! i'll have to check out 'no quarter'...

I've only seen 2 tribute bands: ZOSO and GetTheLedOut.

ZOSO is friggin amazing.

GetTheLedOut was nice, but I thought they stuck too close to the original recordings. It's what they do I guess.

In fact, I'm not sure anyone could do a better job than ZOSO except the original members themselves. And even they couldn't just play a set like that today on the spot!

ZOSO had to cut their set short due to some rain when I saw them earlier this month, but I have seen the full show and I can't imagine anyone doing a better job.

If such a show exists, I'd like to see it.

guitar army: i'm gonna have to agree with you. if if there is a better tribute, i wanna see it. where did you see them?

and steve, i guess that brings us to you. i'm still holding out for ya, buddy. how about a mini-south tour? a whole lotta ledheads down here...

jiya, danny!

didn't you tell me once about your mates over there that do a zep show? catch me up, i miss ya friend!

wow, get the led out sounds great too! i'll have to check out 'no quarter'...

Hi Beat,

Yea, they go by the name "Led By Zeppelin" awesome group and very authentic, i have a DVD of them if you're interested, but alas their singer got "Delusions of Grandure" and now does his own thing, which is about as Rock and Roll Less as it could be, a bit like Robert if you get my piss take. :o:lol:

Soon Mate and Very Kind Regards to you and Yours, Danny

• 2 months later...

Hi Beat,

Yea, they go by the name "Led By Zeppelin" awesome group and very authentic, i have a DVD of them if you're interested, but alas their singer got "Delusions of Grandure" and now does his own thing, which is about as Rock and Roll Less as it could be, a bit like Robert if you get my piss take. :o:lol:

Soon Mate and Very Kind Regards to you and Yours, Danny

Hey Danny

Thanks for mentioning us on here, much appreciated!

Paul - Led By Zeppelin

PS - you never know, we may find another singer one day!

http://www.led-by-zeppelin.co.uk

Archived