Breaking Bad

kingzoso

Yes, well, many people love Taylor Swift & Justin Beiber too so that is a rather poor yardstick. Also, I like Breaking Bad, I just don't act like Scarlett Ohara when Rhett Butler walks into the room in regard to the show.

I could say a lot of negative things about you because I do not like you but I will not sink to your level of sarcasm and condescending posts.

I will say that what you just posted is simply ridiculous. "a rather poor yardstick". This is the Guinness Book of World Records, not some simple poll. I think that that has a lot of weight and pull and validity even if not everyone agrees with it. On the same note, I suppose that this "poor yardstick" of a publication has no merit when Led Zeppelin were in the Guinness Book of World Records when they (at the time) held the record for the largest single attendance for a single artist in the history of mankind when Led Zeppelin established that amazing feat on April 30, 1977 in Pontiac, Michigan to the tune of 76,229 paid attendees.

Edited to add: Your recent post regarding yaweh (whoever the F that is), Jesus, Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara (from Gone with the Wind), make absolutely no sense and seem to have NO relevance to the fact that Breaking Bad is and will always be considered one of the most important and popular American television shows of All-Time. I ask you to name a Canadian tv show that could even be considered in the same sentence as Breaking Bad? I do not think that Montreal is a major hub for producing great quality tv shows. The only major thing that Canada and the United States have in common is the fact that both countries happen to share a northern border and both the North American continent landmass. (For anyone besides Sagittarius Rising), I mean no disrespect for the great people of Canada.

Here are two good examples that Breaking Bad will go down in American history as one of the Greatest Television show of All-Time.

http://youtu.be/twSfxmpXVZY

http://youtu.be/PVtp_JUf5Hc

Edited by kingzoso

I could say a lot of negative things about you because I do not like you but I will not sink to your level of sarcasm and condescending posts.

I will say that what you just posted is simply ridiculous. "a rather poor yardstick". This is the Guinness Book of World Records, not some simple poll. I think that that has a lot of weight and pull and validity even if not everyone agrees with it. On the same note, I suppose that this "poor yardstick" of a publication has no merit when Led Zeppelin were in the Guinness Book of World Records when they (at the time) held the record for the largest single attendance for a single artist in the history of mankind when Led Zeppelin established that amazing feat on April 30, 1977 in Pontiac, Michigan to the tune of 76,229 paid attendees.

Edited to add: Your recent post regarding yaweh (whoever the F that is), Jesus, Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara (from Gone with the Wind), make absolutely no sense and seem to have NO relevance to the fact that Breaking Bad is and will always be considered one of the most important and popular American television shows of All-Time. I ask you to name a Canadian tv show that could even be considered in the same sentence as Breaking Bad? I do not think that Montreal is a major hub for producing great quality tv shows. The only major thing that Canada and the United States have in common is the fact that both countries happen to share a northern border and both the North American continent landmass. (For anyone besides Sagittarius Rising), I mean no disrespect for the great people of Canada.

Here are two good examples that Breaking Bad will go down in American history as one of the Greatest Television show of All-Time.

http://youtu.be/twSfxmpXVZY

http://youtu.be/PVtp_JUf5Hc

Oh dear dear me, I believe you may be suffering from the vapors...

"Your recent post regarding yaweh (whoever the F that is)," - Oh man, that is fucking priceless.

:santa:

Thank you mack for providing that link. I never knew about that. Like I said earlier that is my opinion but, like I said (again), I am not alone in my opinion and assessment as anyone who reads the link that you provided can see for themselves.

You are welcome King

• 1 month later...

I'll give you one outstanding note about this show - the ending song choice. "Baby Blue" is a fairly obscure song, by a group basically considered a one hit wonder for a different song. Reminds me of how "Friends" (one of my wife's favorite, not mine) ended with Jefferson Airplane's "Embryonic Journey" (actually Jorma Kaukonen solo acoustic).

Is anyone a fan of Better Call Saul? Just finished watching season 1

Yes, I have watched the season.

Interesting to watch the character development.

I like the series, but I was a fan of the Saul and Mike characters in Breaking Bad

• 6 months later...

I ask you to name a Canadian tv show that could even be considered in the same sentence as Breaking Bad?

Canada's SCTV was far more groundbreaking TV than "Breaking Bad", and the influence of SCTV is still felt to this day, 40 years later.

40 years from now, "Breaking Bad" will be lucky if it is remembered with the same fondness as SCTV. Heck, it will be lucky if it is remembered at all.

"Breaking Bad" was great if you were into Nietzsche, "Catcher in the Rye", and other adolescent wish-fulfillment obsessions. But it doesn't wear well...it doesn't hold up under repeated viewings. 

Eventually, the nihilistic fascination of "Breaking Bad" will fade.

Canada's SCTV was far more groundbreaking TV than "Breaking Bad", and the influence of SCTV is still felt to this day, 40 years later.

40 years from now, "Breaking Bad" will be lucky if it is remembered with the same fondness as SCTV. Heck, it will be lucky if it is remembered at all.

"Breaking Bad" was great if you were into Nietzsche, "Catcher in the Rye", and other adolescent wish-fulfillment obsessions. But it doesn't wear well...it doesn't hold up under repeated viewings. 

Eventually, the nihilistic fascination of "Breaking Bad" will fade.

Breaking Bad was to demonstrate that each of us in our own way are also "breaking bad". I don't see that as nihilistic fascination, I see it as the natural condition of humanity unless one accepts redemption.  The story is a journey of how one man's rationalizations lead him ultimately to his own perdition. Like the fall of Adam and the consequences of that choice, it is a story of transformation from good to evil.

Chemistry is… well, technically it’s the study of matter, but I prefer to see it as the study of change.” - Walter White

You know that I have to seriously disagree with you on this.  It is of My opinion that "Breaking Bad" will one day (if not already) go down in American television history as one of the Greatest American Television Achievements of All-Time. 

The very fact that you believe that BrBa "will be lucky if it is remembered at all" is almost a ludicrous statement as saying that "Canada's SCTV was far more groundbreaking TV than Breaking Bad".

Did Canada's SCTV win multiple Emmy's and have multiple Emmy nomination in their prime (or ever)?  The Very Fact that "Breaking Bad" won such awards and dozens and dozens of accolades from almost every AMERICAN sources and resources, only tells Me that you are in the very minority and that you really do not know what you are talking about concerning "Breaking Bad".  The moment Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn won Emmy's for their respective roles insured that "Breaking Bad" will NEVER be forgotten EVER.  An American television series with 58 Emmy nominations will never be forgotten, ever.  We Americans have a history of recording and documenting things of Historical value.  Think Baseball, Football, Music, Movies and Television, etc...

How can something be forgotten if it is accurately and historically documented for future generations to so easily access through print, video or internet? 

Walter White/Heisenberg...

Jesse Pinkman...

Tuco Salamanca...

Gustavo Fring...

Need I say more (because I can)?

Edited by kingzoso

• 1 month later...

You know that I have to seriously disagree with you on this.  It is of My opinion that "Breaking Bad" will one day (if not already) go down in American television history as one of the Greatest American Television Achievements of All-Time. 

The very fact that you believe that BrBa "will be lucky if it is remembered at all" is almost a ludicrous statement as saying that "Canada's SCTV was far more groundbreaking TV than Breaking Bad".

Did Canada's SCTV win multiple Emmy's and have multiple Emmy nomination in their prime (or ever)?  The Very Fact that "Breaking Bad" won such awards and dozens and dozens of accolades from almost every AMERICAN sources and resources, only tells Me that you are in the very minority and that you really do not know what you are talking about concerning "Breaking Bad".  The moment Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn won Emmy's for their respective roles insured that "Breaking Bad" will NEVER be forgotten EVER.  An American television series with 58 Emmy nominations will never be forgotten, ever.  We Americans have a history of recording and documenting things of Historical value.  Think Baseball, Football, Music, Movies and Television, etc...

How can something be forgotten if it is accurately and historically documented for future generations to so easily access through print, video or internet? 

Walter White/Heisenberg...

Jesse Pinkman...

Tuco Salamanca...

Gustavo Fring...

Need I say more (because I can)?

I really miss watching new episodes of "Breaking Bad".  I have noticed that strider never responded to my above post. 

Canada's SCTV a better show than "BrBa".  Please.  Read what I reposted above and back up your ridiculous statement that SCTV is a better show.  How many Americans who know and love "Breaking Bad" compared to those same Americans who have ever seen or even heard of SCTV. 

There is a very huge differential.  Name one person from your show who has a greater name recognition then Walter White or Jesse Pinkman?

Never mind the countless Emmy nominations and wins that "Breaking Bad" has.  That is a fact that you or any disbeliever can look into and see that this is a proven fact and not just something that I made up just because I happen to be a fan of the greatness and influence that "BrBa" will have on future generations of like-minded people such as myself and millions of others from around the Planet. 

With that being said, Breaking Bad and Led Zeppelin have something in common:  UNIVERSAL APPEAL

Edited by kingzoso

I really miss watching new episodes of "Breaking Bad".  I have noticed that strider never responded to my above post. 

Canada's SCTV a better show than "BrBa".  Please.  Read what I reposted above and back up your ridiculous statement that SCTV is a better show.  How many Americans who know and love "Breaking Bad" compared to those same Americans who have ever seen or even heard of SCTV. 

There is a very huge differential.  Name one person from your show who has a greater name recognition then Walter White or Jesse Pinkman?

Never mind the countless Emmy nominations and wins that "Breaking Bad" has.  That is a fact that you or any disbeliever can look into and see that this is a proven fact and not just something that I made up just because I happen to be a fan of the greatness and influence that "BrBa" will have on future generations of like-minded people such as myself and millions of others from around the Planet. 

With that being said, Breaking Bad and Led Zeppelin have something in common:  UNIVERSAL APPEAL

I think what Strider was pointing out is a historical perspective and I believe he is correct. Explain how Breaking Bad is influential in ANY way. Sure, it was a great show but it was neither groundbreaking nor influential and will likely be forgotten in time. Awards mean nothing, Zeppelin never won a grammy yet they are one of the most influential bands of all time. The Doobie Bros won grammy's but ask any teen to name a Doobie's song and you get "Huh, who the fuck are the Doobies?"

So, Breaking Bad would be akin to the Doobie Bros Michael McDonald era and shows like SCTV and All in the Family would be akin to Zeppelin.

I think what Strider was pointing out is a historical perspective and I believe he is correct. Explain how Breaking Bad is influential in ANY way. Sure, it was a great show but it was neither groundbreaking nor influential and will likely be forgotten in time. Awards mean nothing, Zeppelin never won a grammy yet they are one of the most influential bands of all time. The Doobie Bros won grammy's but ask any teen to name a Doobie's song and you get "Huh, who the fuck are the Doobies?"

So, Breaking Bad would be akin to the Doobie Bros Michael McDonald era and shows like SCTV and All in the Family would be akin to Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin won a Grammy Award in 1969 for the cover/artwork for Led Zeppelin II. 

I know that you hail from Canada, but awards (Grammys, Emmys, Oscars, etc...) mean a lot in the United States of America.  Here, in the U.S.A., these kind of awards and winning such awards translate into professional accolades and achievements that goes to prove that winners of such accolades and awards won them because they/them deserve it. 

How many awards and accolades did SCTV ever win in Canada? 

I am not going to continue to disagree with you but to compare "Breaking Bad" to the "Doobie Brothers" is beyond stupid and has no bearing on what I was trying to prove or make a point of.  I don't know you but your reasoning and comparison is one of the dumbest things I have ever read (and I have said some dumb and stupid things myself).  The main difference between you and I is that I am not ashamed to admit such things. 

Edited by kingzoso

Led Zeppelin won a Grammy Award in 1969 for the cover/artwork for Led Zeppelin II. 

I know that you hail from Canada, but awards (Grammys, Emmys, Oscars, etc...) mean a lot in the United States of America.  Here, in the U.S.A., these kind of awards and winning such awards translate into professional accolades and achievements that goes to prove that winners of such accolades and awards won them because they/them deserve it. 

How many awards and accolades did SCTV ever win in Canada? 

I am not going to continue to disagree with you but to compare "Breaking Bad" to the "Doobie Brothers" is beyond stupid and has no bearing on what I was trying to prove or make a point of.  I don't know you but your reasoning and comparison is one of the dumbest things I have ever read (and I have said some dumb and stupid things myself).  The main difference between you and I is that I am not ashamed to admit such things. 

What I find amusing is how you always wind up getting the vapors over the smallest, stupidest things such as a TV show. I am from the USA, I served in the USMC and attended university in the USA, and am an American citizen so I understand about awards, however everyone knows awards such as grammys, emmys, the oscars are pretty much bullshit popularity contests among a small minority...who cares. The acid test is in what the people like and the continuing historical impact, nothing else really matters. So, if it gets your panties in a wad the likely fact that Breaking Bad will in no way, whatsoever, in ANY universe, be considered in the same context of say All in the Family or even the original Star Trek (due to plots dealing with social issues), too damn bad, the world does not revolve around your opinions.

As I said before, Breaking Bad was a good show, a great show even, however it will never be considered an important, influential, or groundbreaking show and that is truth.

I dig the LZ winning the grammy in 69' for an album that did not come out until October 1969...BTW, they NEVER won a grammy until 1999 and that was for a Hall of Fame award. The only grammy Zeppelin ever won which was not a lifetime achievement award was for Celebration Day in 2014 for best rock album. Anyway, who cares, after all if Milli Vanilli won a grammy for best new artist in 1990, it proves how meaningless the award is, as most awards are.

So, let me add this correction: Breaking Bad = Starland Vocal Band. There ya go, better than the Doobie's right?

What I find amusing is how you always wind up getting the vapors over the smallest, stupidest things such as a TV show. I am from the USA, I served in the USMC and attended university in the USA, and am an American citizen so I understand about awards, however everyone knows awards such as grammys, emmys, the oscars are pretty much bullshit popularity contests among a small minority...who cares. The acid test is in what the people like and the continuing historical impact, nothing else really matters. So, if it gets your panties in a wad the likely fact that Breaking Bad will in no way, whatsoever, in ANY universe, be considered in the same context of say All in the Family or even the original Star Trek (due to plots dealing with social issues), too damn bad, the world does not revolve around your opinions.

As I said before, Breaking Bad was a good show, a great show even, however it will never be considered an important, influential, or groundbreaking show and that is truth.

I dig the LZ winning the grammy in 69' for an album that did not come out until October 1969...BTW, they NEVER won a grammy until 1999 and that was for a Hall of Fame award. The only grammy Zeppelin ever won which was not a lifetime achievement award was for Celebration Day in 2014 for best rock album. Anyway, who cares, after all if Milli Vanilli won a grammy for best new artist in 1990, it proves how meaningless the award is, as most awards are.

So, let me add this correction: Breaking Bad = Starland Vocal Band. There ya go, better than the Doobie's right?

Yeah, it had its run but I never hear it mentioned anymore - although I thought I saw they're running a marathon on AMC for New Years, I believe.   Maybe it was Walking Dead... The fact it isn't in heavy syndication, which is usually an indicator for the lasting legs of a tv show anymore. People aren't as apt to just watch an episode here and there like The Sopranos, Walking Dead, or other dramas in syndication.  Every time I watch Bryan Cranston, I always see him as the father role on Malcolm in the Middle...  

Edited by Walter

Anthony Hopkins

Thursday 17 October 2013 02.47 EDT Last modified on Thursday 22 May 2014 02.21 EDT

Dear Mister Cranston,

I've just finished a marathon of watching 'BREAKING BAD' – from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing. I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant! Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really. But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers... every department – casting etc... managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to – would you pass on my admiration to everyone – Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, RJ Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada – everyone – everyone gave master classes of performance... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence. You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen. That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards,
Tony Hopkins

Anthony Hopkins

Thursday 17 October 2013 02.47 EDT Last modified on Thursday 22 May 2014 02.21 EDT

Dear Mister Cranston,

I've just finished a marathon of watching 'BREAKING BAD' – from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing. I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant! Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really. But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers... every department – casting etc... managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to – would you pass on my admiration to everyone – Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, RJ Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada – everyone – everyone gave master classes of performance... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence. You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen. That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards,
Tony Hopkins

I guess someone with the stature of a Mr. Anthony Hopkins can take the time to praise Mr. Bryan Cranston and everyone else he named, maybe I am on to something when I praise Breaking Bad as one of the Best American television shows of all-time.  And this coming from an Academy Award winning actor who was born in the United Kingdom and not the United States of America. 

A friend of mine told me that Anthony Hopkins said that about Brian Cranston, and I didn't believe him.  I watched "Breaking Bad" and got hooked, but I didn't think it was THAT momentous.  So I looked up on line and sure enough, there was the e-mail that Anthony Hopkins had written.  So I had to go back and re-watch the whole damn series!  Definitely worth watching again!