Good vocal performance by Plant in later years

Geezer

Rob was great in 77. Rough shows? Yeah, obviously the last leg of the tour especially had some difficulties. But for most of the tour, his control, his tone, his emotion...and yes his range (he gained some lows for the lost highs, to an overall advantage in my opinion) all add up to a really impressive tour for Rob. Just listen to almost any Going To California from that tour and you'll hear an emotionally deep yet professional Rob that had never been heard before.

i fuckin' knew it! I KNEW there was one more time he went for the high notes in Over the Hills and Far Away! It was THAT show, the 13th at MSG in 1977! I have been trying to find this one for years! I heard it once, but couldn't find the show again. It may not be the best he's ever done, but yeah, he had a great voice in 1977. Higher, Robert Plant-ish high, and didn't sound like he was scared to go for the high notes. That was awesome.

I almost wonder if bonzo or page convinced him to go for it, one more time.

Robert Plant sounds good in 1980, his voice improvement in that tour is the main reason why I enjoy listening to those shows (specialy Rock n Roll).

Also, Black Dog from one of the Knebworth nights, I'm not sure of wich of them it is, but he really picks on the high rage when he gets to the "I gotta roll" verse.

It gave me shivers.

And the song he recorded on the Honeydrippers Sea Of Love shows that he also had an awesome voice for lower keys.

You must be joking.

He sounded great at the Forum in 1977. Compare Robert's voice on the 1977 tour with 1975 and it's no contest...1977 wins hands down.

The problem with 1979 and 1980 is his overuse of the harmonizer.

He sounded great at the Forum in 1977. Compare Robert's voice on the 1977 tour with 1975 and it's no contest...1977 wins hands down.

No doubt about it...some of those early '75 shows Plant had no business being onstage in that kinda shape...but I suppose it would have created a lot of hassle etc to postpone the tour. He still sounded kinda raspy at Earls Court. But shows like Indianapolis, Cleveland -shit, the entire first leg of the '75 tour- Robert Plant isn't supposed to sound like Rod Stewart :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the time 1977 rolled around his voice had improved and 'matured' into the vocal persona Plant would end up perfecting on his early solo albums.

The problem with 1979 and 1980 is his overuse of the harmonizer.

Yeah, the use of the harmonizer on stuff like "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Hot Dog" leads to some classic "WTF?!" moments :lol: But even in '77 his vocals were pretty effect laden (the trademark fast reverb/ADT Plant Vocal Sound). It would be years before we'd hear a 'dry' Robert Plant vocal.

A later show with a good vocal performance? Oddly enough -considering how sloppy the performance can be in other ways- Plant sounds pretty good at the Destroyer show (27/4/77)...I've always liked that scream he does before Page's second solo in "In My time Of Dying".

He sounds as good as it's gonna get on 1975/03/20 (as far as '75 is concerned anyway...). Highlights of 1977 would be

1977/04/27
1977/05/21
1977/06/13 (which as far as OtHaFA and SIBLY go, is kinda funny)
All of LA '77 (1977/06/23 in particular, with a majestically sang OtHaFA, my personal favourite vocal performance of this song, simply for how Robert wails that last "You really oughta knoooooowwwww!!!!")
1979/08/04 is good too.

that "i know yes you knoooo-oo-o-o-ooow" part was pretty groovy from Badgeholders.

Or the way he holds that first "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii....." note in SIBLY for so long on 23/6/77...thirteen seconds or something like that, you hear and it's like, "Okay, Robert, you can come up for air now!" :lol: In those days, for a ciggie/pot smoker Plant had quite the set of lungs on him.

Do you have a link to that video??

Or the way he holds that first "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii....." note in SIBLY for so long on 23/6/77...thirteen seconds or something like that, you hear and it's like, "Okay, Robert, you can come up for air now!" :lol: In those days, for a ciggie/pot smoker Plant had quite the set of lungs on him.

God I love this man,everything about him,and I am going to die without ever being abole to tell him...I wish we had his addy,I would love to write a letter,not stalking him but just a letter

Robert sounds really good in San Diego, '77. I remember thinking what a shame that Bonzo was having such an off night because Robert was ready to go

The whole Southern California swing in 1977 was sweet.

Archived