Good vocal performance by Plant in later years

Geezer

Since the last video of Over The Hills and Far Away with Plant singing it up high was well received, may I add this one of him going for those high notes once again in 1997:

Excellent. Thanks. Always felt that Plant's ongoing up-and-down battle with his high notes were mainly psychological...he could hit them if he wanted to. Page-Plant had some great performances and even Robert's solo tours leading up to the reunion in the early 1990s showed he could still belt it out. It was more a matter of whether he was in the mood.

Since the last video of Over The Hills and Far Away with Plant singing it up high was well received, may I add this one of him going for those high notes once again in 1997:

OTHFA is so much better when it is song like this. I can never listen to it after the '72 US tour. My favorite thing about that song is Plant's voice. His modified version of it just doesn't cut it.

OTHFA is so much better when it is song like this. I can never listen to it after the '72 US tour. My favorite thing about that song is Plant's voice. His modified version of it just doesn't cut it.

I agree. I feel that Plant was under a lot of pressure onstage - he just wasn't sure when his voice would cut it, or not. Also the cigarettes, booze, late nights, whatever....When Jimmy did some impromptu encores at times like Communication Breakdown at Knebworth - Plant was ok and did his best to improvise. Methinks Plant thinks too much. He sings much better when he's in the zone.

I feel that Plant was under a lot of pressure onstage -

no sh**

...and dude hates to hear his voice crack. It held up nicely at the O2. Although I despise some of his experimental stylings in delivery, he is none the less riveting. In this performance, I get the sense I am watching more the singer and person, less the frontman (and all the weight of the world that goes with it) of Led Zeppelin

I cannot believe how much he smoked,there are hardly even any pics without him smoking

I agree. I feel that Plant was under a lot of pressure onstage - he just wasn't sure when his voice would cut it, or not. Also the cigarettes, booze, late nights, whatever....When Jimmy did some impromptu encores at times like Communication Breakdown at Knebworth - Plant was ok and did his best to improvise. Methinks Plant thinks too much. He sings much better when he's in the zone.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

His voice in Vienna in 1980 is quite strong.

Hell yes, that whole Vienna show was amazing, really, really good and the RnR encore SMOKED! The way they played RnR that night, as if they all just did a few lines of space coke, was great. It was almost punk in it's delivery. This show was such a strong performance by all four.

I think as a whole, Robert's lowest vocal performance is 1975, yes?

I don't think you can pin it on one year really, I mean the early part of 75 was bad but march and onward is fine I think, parts of 73 and 77 is worse if you ask me, hell late 72 was pretty rough, the worst month of Roberts voice might be January of 1975 though

I think as a whole, Robert's lowest vocal performance is 1975, yes?

I would agree with this... other years have rough moments but 75 has some painful moments which is too bad cause i felt the rest of the band were really on this tour... for the most part

'73 is similarly rough but somehow RP pulled it off better... i think cocaine smoking etc is the culprit but in 75 he was sick on top of the coke/smoking

• 3 weeks later...

'77 was definitely a great year for Robert's voice - for the most part. Past '77, the Copenhagen shows of '79 sound like they came on the heels of the LA run in June '77. Good range and vocal strength. I still say the '80 was just a little better than '75 for Robert's voice, IMO.

Archived