Countertops

Charles J. White

What do you prefer for kitchen countertops  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer for kitchen countertops?

• Corian
    • Concrete
    • Marble
    • Granite
    • Quartz

Solid wood.

I have to agree, Knebby. I currently have butcher block in my kitchen. Not only does it fit into my decor, NewEngland country with a touch of French influence, but I have found it to be durable. Granite is too shiny for my taste and it shows every fingerprint, etc. I would be constantly buffing the damn counters! The other thing I have noticed when visiting homes with granite is the room temperature. Granite holds the cold in, and up here in the North, that isn't always a good thing. My damn tea cools off beforeI am finished drinking it!

Granite contains uranium that releases radon gas as it breaks down.

Here is the link to Snopes concerning this. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/granite.asp

It seems like it rarely happens.

We are taking our kitchen down tot he studs in the next few months and I still can't decide on what material to use for the countertops. Granite is so prevalent today that I would like to choose one that is beautiful and yet unique.

Here is the link to Snopes concerning this. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/granite.asp

It seems like it rarely happens.

We are taking our kitchen down tot he studs in the next few months and I still can't decide on what material to use for the countertops. Granite is so prevalent today that I would like to choose one that is beautiful and yet unique.

Thanks for posting this TM with the Snopes link. The link also says there's a kit that you can buy to test your counters. We built 10 years ago, well before this was a known issue with the granite industry, and put in granite counters. I'd like to test them, but if I find they are emitting radon........... :-0

Back to the poll, I love granite, but really, really like concrete, it's so edgy.

Thanks for posting this TM with the Snopes link. The link also says there's a kit that you can buy to test your counters. We built 10 years ago, well before this was a known issue with the granite industry, and put in granite counters. I'd like to test them, but if I find they are emitting radon........... :-0

Back to the poll, I love granite, but really, really like concrete, it's so edgy.

I like concrete too but will i like it in 5-10 years time?

Personally, I LOVE our granite counter tops. We have the granite back-splash up to our cabinets also. We've had them for about 7 years.

Strider, you said you like black granite best? Our granite is actually called "peacock green", but is basically black with flecks of green, blue, tan and silver in it. Sounds strange, but it gives it depth and kinda has an "under the sea" look to it. On top of our cabinets we have different sculptures and replicas of various sea life: mermaid, tropical fish, dolphin, coral, sharks and a blue crab climbing the wall...:)

Kind of rough if you want to have a spontaneous tryst on the kitchen counter. Granite's not so hard on the bum.

Archived