Rare John Bonham Footage w/ Paul McCartney backstage 1976

The footage in question must be backstage at Wings LA Forum show on June 21st 1976...Ringo Starr is present and so far as I know it was the only date Ringo attended on that 75-'76 world tour. Ringo had watched the entire concert from the audience and it was pre-planned for him to surprise the audience by joining Wings onstage at the end to present Paul that bouquet of flowers.

Given the confirmed date, it begs the question are we positive that is John Bonham? The reason I'm asking is I don't show any members of Led Zeppelin were present in Los Angeles in June 1976. In fact, Page, Plant and Bonham accompanied by comedian Peter Cook had returned to London from Los Angeles on May 26th, 1976 (they enraged actor Telly Savalas on the flight with catcalls).

If Bonham did return to Los Angeles in June 1976 that's news to me.

Edited by SteveAJones

The footage in question must be backstage at Wings LA Forum show on June 21st 1976...Ringo Starr is present and so far as I know it was the only date Ringo attended on that 75-'76 world tour. Ringo had watched the entire concert from the audience and it was pre-planned for him to surprise the audience by joining Wings onstage at the end to present Paul that bouquet of flowers.

Given the confirmed date, it begs the question are we positive that is John Bonham? The reason I'm asking is I don't show any members of Led Zeppelin were present in Los Angeles in June 1976. In fact, Page, Plant and Bonham accompanied by comedian Peter Cook had returned to London from Los Angeles on May 26th, 1976 (they enraged actor Telly Savalas on the flight with catcalls).

Good info...but, Steve, did you watch the video? If that isn't John Bonham, I'll eat my hat.

Edited by Melcórë

Given the presence of the world famous (perhaps not) San Diego Chicken, could this have been in San Diego? Would that add up?

Nice clip Sam...takes me way back.

Allow someone who was there(June 22, 1976) to add his two cents.

It is quite possible that that is not John Bonham in the clip, but rather Howie Casey, one of the horn players on that 1976 Wings Over America tour. Look at the 1:04 mark of the above clip; that's Howie Casey with Denny Laine...looks awful similar to the guy backstage, doesn't it? See the bottom photo in this link.

http://www.howiecasey.com/images/Paul_McCartney_&_Howie_Casey_in_Flight_22nd._May_'76.jpg

If it is Bonzo in that footage, then it doesn't necessarily mean that it was shot at the Forum on June 21, 1976. There were three dates at the Forum(Ringo could have been at all three, even if he only appeared on stage at one). Also, not all of the stage and backstage footage in the above clip was shot at the Forum. So it is possible that that clip with Bonham(or Howie Casey) was taken at another show.

Given the presence of the world famous (perhaps not) San Diego Chicken, could this have been in San Diego? Would that add up?

I know the Forum like the back of my hand. THAT was shot at the Forum...you can see the familiar Forum columns and the Forum Club entrance as the Chicken marches. The San Diego Chicken wasn't only limited to San Diego appearances. He would show up just about anywhere.

That is the San Diego Chicken (who began making public appearances in 1974) and the video in it's entirety is clearly a compilation recorded at various stops on the tour. However, the segment at 3:30 cited as "John Bonham" clearly has Ringo Starr in the same backstage room. So far as I know Ringo only attended the June 21, 1976 date (The Forum in Los Angeles) of Wings' 1975-76 World Tour. If correct, it is news to me John returned to Los Angeles in June 1976. I'm not saying he didn't, or that it isn't him just seeking confirmation.

If it is Bonzo in that footage, then it doesn't necessarily mean that it was shot at the Forum on June 21, 1976. There were three dates at the Forum(Ringo could have been at all three, even if he only appeared on stage at one). Also, not all of the stage and backstage footage in the above clip was shot at the Forum. So it is possible that that clip with Bonham(or Howie Casey) was taken at another show.

Confirmation of the date - June 21, 1976 - is predicated upon Ringo's presence in the segment. Paul enters the backstage room with Ringo holding the bouquet of flowers Ringo had just presented him onstage. So far as I know it was the only night of the '75-'76 World Tour that Ringo attended.

I know for certain Page, Plant & Bonham returned to London from Los Angeles on May 26, 1976 (press coverage & a photograph). I can't think of any reason why Bonham would return to Los Angeles the following month unless it was strictly personal. There is no press or media coverage to support that he ever did (not that I'm stating with certainty he did not).

Edited by SteveAJones

Okay, after further review of the mustache and body shape, that is not Howie Casey. So it is either John Bonham...or somebody else that looks like him. There is still the possibility that the interior of that dressing room scene was taken at a different time and location than the exterior shot of Ringo, Paul and Linda entering the Private Press Room door. When you see Ringo open the door, you can see flowers and stuff on the table...then when the shot changes to the interior, the table is bare.

Curious and curiouser.

Okay, after further review of the mustache and body shape, that is not Howie Casey. So it is either John Bonham...or somebody else that looks like him. There is still the possibility that the interior of that dressing room scene was taken at a different time and location than the exterior shot of Ringo, Paul and Linda entering the Private Press Room door. When you see Ringo open the door, you can see flowers and stuff on the table...then when the shot changes to the interior, the table is bare.

Curious and curiouser.

Yes indeed! Seems we may eventually need to go through this frame by frame like the Zapruder film. It seems to me some of the people in the room with "John Bonham" are wearing the same clothes they had on when they entered with Ringo & Paul but that could be merely coincidental. I still suspect the "John Bonham" segment is 6/21/76 but I'm keeping an open mind. The uploader states this is the "North American Leg" of the world tour; if correct that at least narrows down the possibilities. The New York City dates on May 24-25 1976 coincide perfectly with their return to London on May 26 if there was a layover in New York.

For the concert movie "Rockshow", Paul McCartney had three stops on the 1976 Wings Over America tour filmed: Madison Square Garden, LA Forum, and the Seattle Kingdome. Unlike John Paul Jones, the band got the memo and wore the same stage outfits thru the tour.

So that could very well be an exterior Forum hall way shot followed by an interior scene shot at Madison Square Garden. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Ringo appeared at both the NY and LA shows.

Ringo having attended either of Paul's NYC concerts (May 24-25 1976) would reasonably have generated press or media coverage...I know of none. I've yet to find an avid Beatles fan that can confirm Ringo having attended either of those concerts. I have found no comments from either or them to suggest that he had. Still looking into it. Perhaps there's a quick cut edit in the footage that makes it seem as if it's the same room Ringo; Paul have just entered but in reality it is New York instead of Los Angeles, in which case the presence of John Bonham becomes more plausible. If there is no such cut and Ringo is in the room during the "John Bonham" segment (possibly June 21, 1976) I seriously doubt it is John Bonham because according to my notes his flight landed in London on May 26.

Selected from ninety hours of recordings, Wings Over America is a faithful account of the 1975-76 world tour, taped at several of the US shows (but mixed as if it were a single performance and including studio overdubs recorded prior to its release). Though an expensive triple disc; the initial plan was to release it as a double album, but a successful bootleg released just before meant Paul expanded it - sales were remarkable and it remains one of very few live albums to make number one in America (incidentally, the band's fifth number one album in a row).

Paul McCartney: Vocals, bass guitar, piano, acoustic guitar

Linda McCartney: Vocals, keyboards

Denny Laine: Vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano gass, gob iron

Jimmy McCulloch: Vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass

Joe English: Drums, vocals

Tony Dorsey: Trombone

Howie Casey: Saxophone

Steve Howard: Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Thadeus Richard: Saxophone, clarinet, flute

Produced by Paul McCartney

Recording engineers: Phil McDonald, Jack Maxson, Mark Vigars & Tom Walsh

Edited by SteveAJones

Here's a photo of Bonzo and Ringo, circa 1976. Not sure exactly where and when, but regardless, comparing the facial hair, parting of his hair, and his weight it sure looks like the footage above is Bonzo.

starr_bonham76.jpg

See below:

'sam_webmaster', on 19 Apr 2012 - 04:16, said:snapback.png

Somewhere around here, I have a personal family photo of John Bonham with Ringo in the South of France in 1976. Ringo had shaved his head.

Edited by SteveAJones

I'm primarily posing the question/seeking confirmation of where and when. John & Ringo did get on well socially, suggesting further that Ringo was in the room, in which case this is clearly June 21, 1976 as that is the only night of the tour Ringo is known to have attended. I'm going to double-check the press reports on Led Zeppelin's return to London on May 26th. Perhaps they were misinformed and John stayed in Los Angeles for at least one more month, thus putting his appearance at this concert well within the realm of possibilities. If he did stay in LA, I wonder if his family accompanied him as it's well known he was prone to missing them while away.

I knew it was Bonzo from the second he smiled. I assumed it was that obvious, especially because Bonzo and Ringo were friends and had a good relationship.

Here's a photo of Bonzo and Ringo, circa 1976. Not sure exactly where and when, but regardless, comparing the facial hair, parting of his hair, and his weight it sure looks like the footage above is Bonzo.

starr_bonham76.jpg

Come to find out Ringo was residing in a two-bedroom apartment on the 30th floor of a high-rise in Monte Carlo. It seems this photo may have been taken in Monte Carlo around the same time this 1976 promo video was produced:

• Administrators

:rolleyes:

wings_los_angeles_Bonham76.jpg