Robert Plant slapped in the face...

I am currently re-reading my copy of Led Zeppelin: the Press Reports, and in the early pages of the book and even before the early stages of Led Zeppelin's existence, there is a direct quote by Robert Plant that states that when He got off the train on His way heading to Jimmy's Pangbourne residence, some older (elderly) woman came up to Robert and slapped him in the face and cursed at him because she did not like his long hair. Robert proceded to call over a nearby constable, however, the constable told Robert Plant that it was His fault about what just happened because His hair was too long.

do you refer to this ?

thhair1.gif

She's not slapping him there she is playing with his hair. :)

King Zoso is talking about an interview with Plant from the International Times from March 1969 when Robert recounts this incident which he says took place at Pangbourne train station when he went down to visit Page. It's on page 47 of the Robert Godwin book.

I always wondered what that video above was all about? Anyone know the details.

I've always thought that it was them trying to covince Countess Eva Von Zeppelin to let them use the name Led Zeppelin while in Copenhagen. I might be wrong though, as that unsuccessful negotiation took place in 1970, while the clip appears to be from circa-1973 judging by Plant's appearance.

As stated by Knebby, there's no slap in that video and it's clear by Plant's hair and clothes that that clip is not from 1969.

I doubt there would be video of the incident kingzoso is referring to, as it was in the beginning days of Zeppelin before they were big, and who would be following them around with a camera? They couldn't even get people to spell their name correctly half the time.

some older (elderly) woman came up to Robert and slapped him in the face and cursed at him because she did not like his long hair. Robert proceded to call over a nearby constable, however, the constable told Robert Plant that it was His fault about what just happened because His hair was too long.

Ah, back in the good ole' days days when society had more respect.

King Zoso is talking about an interview with Plant from the International Times from March 1969 when Robert recounts this incident which he says took place at Pangbourne train station when he went down to visit Page. It's on page 47 of the Robert Godwin book.

Yes. That is it. Thanks!

yeah, i didn't think she was slapping him, but i just thought that this little video was in their minds ... :)

Everybody got hassled for having long hair back then. Especially in the South.

I remember him talking about being hasseled in the States, but the one that stood out to me was the one that happened to him with the old woman in Pangbourne. I think I saw someone mentioned it earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived